1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Clark: Steelers Won’t Compete Until They Find Franchise Quarterback

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Baker Mayfield and Jarod Goff are in the next round of the playoffs. Coaching matters.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Finding a franchise QB comes down to plain luck. When they drafted Brady in 6th round they sure the hell were not thinking they had a future GOAT. Did the Niners realize Purdy was a franchised QB everyone skipped over? Doubt that very much. Burrow looked like a shoe in but so far no SB's and injury problems.

Franchise QB's DO NOT guarantee SB's. They do give you decent seasons with more chances to win a SB. In the end most take to much cap money and it's harder to build a team around them.

Always a chance to win a SB without one. Ravens, Eagles and others have won with journeymen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Coaching matter big time,but Goff has been great for the Lions since last year

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Franchise QB's DO NOT guarantee SB's but this is more likely that not you will be in the hunt and be in the divisionnal round at least very often with a true franchise QB

This is hard to be a contender year after year with a average QB at best

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We argue this all the time at my club. Would you take 6-7 crappy useless seasons with a lucky SB win or have 11+ win seasons for 6-7 years and no SB but always in the mix.

At this point in my life I'll take the pulled from ass SB win but I'm a young guy I'd hate seasons where you know you are going to be an afterthought. I've learned to live with it with the Pirates. Couldn't take it with the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Finding a Franchise QB is not an easy task.
    Mostly, you have to have an OC that uses his strengths and builds the offense to compliment those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Then we need to begin the process of tanking for one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Need coaching to go with one, we have neither right now.

The Tomlin pattern is well established now, 8-11 wins, either out the playoffs or sqeaking in, and then a totally unprepared and flat team gets blown out, with most games being over by HT.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. A franchise QB, especially in the AFC at this time, is a prerequisite for competing for a SB title or appearance.

You might make the playoffs or win a playoff game against a team with a Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, or Burrow. And maybe in the future add Stroud or Herbert to that list. It's damn near impossible, however, to win two or three postseason games in a row against QBs of that caliber with average to below average QBs the way the league is currently structured.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Of course but you have much better odds to win a super bowl at some point when you are in the hunt almost every year.When you have a all-time great QB as Mahomes,Brady or Montana in the past,the odds to win mutiples super bowl are great....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Props to what Mason did this year, but he is still a back up in my eyes... his movement in the pocket and footwork is still atrocious.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    He is not right. That message about finding a franchise QB is doom and gloom. There is no elusive franchise QB.

It is simple. You draft a good QB and you give his rookie window to compete and grow. Steelers failed to do that with Mason. They did it with Kenny but Kenny historically failed. Now we are entering a new window, whether it's giving Mason his due or drafting a new QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    And both are better than anything we got

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Yep. Deja Vu over, and over, and over, and over again

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was shocked how good Baker looked…

It could be coaching, but to that point … sometimes certain players thrive in certain systems and flounder in others.

Look at Russel Wilson, he thrived in Seattle, but goes to Denver and falls apart.

19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Coaching matter too...It take both!

20. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    While he's perhaps not entirely wrong - no QB, no matter how great - will flourish on this team until we have actual NFL-caliber players on the OL, NFL-caliber players on the defense, and NFL-caliber playcallers and coaches on the sidelines. At least some moderate number of those things need to be addressed first before we even begin to seriously look at drafting a potential franchise QB.

Until then, I think the Steelers would be wise to retain to Mason and have him "compete" with Kenny (tho at this point, it shouldn't really need to be much of a competition). I think Mason is a very serviceable starter level QB, but could actually be a good one with the right players and coaches. As such, I still think he'd be a perfectly fine guy to roll with until the Steelers address the other problems and can afford to look for the elusive franchise QB unicorn.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  21. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The pundits can say it all they want - finding franchise QBs is frankly luck of the draw. There’s no skill or strategy that will help you find one, other than tanking hard.

The Steelers can take some shots at lower round QBs, but trying to draft franchise QBs any later than the 15th pick or so is almost pointless. In the meantime, they’ll just have to muck along with what they have like most teams in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  23. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    True, Baker and Goff aren’t superstars. However, it would take Pickett three seasons to amass the number of TD passes they each had this past season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Groundhog Day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Texans (Stroud), Bills (Allen), Ravens (Jackson), Chiefs (Mahomes)
    Lions (Goff), Packers (Love), Bucs (Mayfield), 49ers (Purdy)

Straight facts.....

• Like Like x 1