1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Clark- 'I Know Guys On My Team Who Smoke Pot'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    You get both sides on the video there

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    ? You smoking something??? LOL.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Correct Blount. There are two types. HEMP will have a smokey side when and where legal but for now it is grown in China, KY is one of the states they are talking about growing it

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yep!

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This thread grew fast. My random comments:

And this is a surprise why?

Even though it can be assumed so, Clark should have avoided implicating teammates. I do understand why he dropped it, and I don't believe it was malicious.

This topic is a dark gray area for the board's rules. It's ok to talk about pros/cons. Let's try to avoid politics/religion/personal remarks. ;)

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    His comments have me wondering what players might do it. I wouldn't want to say one way or the other which guys do or don't but I guess the guy that would surprise me the LEAST would be Pouncey. Other than that I really can't think of a player that I would think of as someone that smokes marijuana. I would be really surprised if AB did it and I would be the MOST surprised if Heath did it.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Troy does it, that hawaiian mofo is definitely toking up back on the islands :dancing:

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I doubt Troy does it. He just doesn't "strike" me that way. I could see Woodley doing it. He's always out of shape and lazy. LOL. Also Dwyer might toke it up in the offseason too based on how he comes to camp.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was joking but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Theres no one that would surprise me except maybe Heath.

10. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Agree.. I know better and knew you did as well (content) it was shown to me over the years, people looking for that free pass. The thread is bleeding pot so i was making lite of it. :smiley1:

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I had the same thing happen to me from a guy but the story ended on a very positive note but I can't talk about it here without breaking the rules. If I weren't such a good citizen I would tell you all about it though. LOL.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah you better not or the hall monitor will go and tell on.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Chill out, bro. You're going to harsh the buzz.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe MT and Colbert at draft time.

maybe MT during clock management times.

maybe MT on kickoff returns.

danny smith, now he's on something totally diferent.:smiley1::cool:

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm guessing harsh the buzz is David Wooderson talk? LOL.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Danny Smith is just high on Bubble Yum! That's why he's the greatest coach in the NFL. That's the secret!

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Careful what you wish for. There's a reason for the rules and the alternative is something you would not like. I promise you that.

Or, you know, just visit Reddit or almost any other large board and see why.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    My buddy acts like Reddit is the be all end all. What is the big deal about it? I used to go there to talk to other 1Bros about Dark Souls but I've never actually been on the main site. There was just a link from google that took me to the Dark Souls discussion.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It's the wild west.

Fine if you have a thick skin. Pretty fun if you like arguing/debating and retain your anonymity.

But for promoting a close knit community based on a common interest? Not so much. There are exceptions, like sub-reddits heavily moderated.

But if you let the gates open, look out. Sure, you can talk to your heart's content about whatever social issue, religious topic or whatever. And you also open everyone up to flame wars, trolling, ad nauseum ridiculous arguments. And your community is no longer close knit. Half the members have the other half on ignore eventually or target each other over the most inane things due to grudges. ;)

Remember: this is the STEELERS FANS board. We have a hard enough time keeping you guys from cutting each other over cheerleaders or block numbers. :cool:

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we all get along really good here. This site is nothing like that site based on what you described. I heard that youtube made people not be able to comment like they used to because so many people were just being flat out mean on there. Is meanness the reason so many of these sites link to people's facebook too? Trying to take away their anonymity so maybe they will behave better?

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Short answer: yes.

Longer answer...

I like to think the reason this board does get along (with only a few momentary minor spats now and then) is because of 2 things:

1- Many of us came from the original message board on the official site. And that board had STRICT rules. I'm relatively tame and adhere to rules and even I was banned 3 times there. :lolol:

2- The rules of the road here - especially in the earliest of days - kept personality conflicts to a minimum. Sure, there have been some here and there, but nothing that can't be worked out. If TTF allowed the verboten stuff to run hog wild, I'm certain that could not be said.

As to other sites getting out of hand. Absolutely yes. Many have tried various ways to remove internet anonymity syndrome (relatively reasonable person + anonymity = complete jerk). Some just implement stricter rules and moderate heavily. Back when I used to frequent Blizzard's MBs, even strictly moderated, they had so much trouble, that eventually they made everyone accountable to their own true identity. Of course, that had a backlash too. They have since backed off that, but Blizzard itself knows exactly who you are. Once Google bought Youtube, they've been trying to cut out the less desirable traits of the comments sections to various degrees of success (mostly, it's still a wasteland).

But if your method is moderation or rules, even that can get tricky. It's pointless to have rules and moderators if they only serve to stifle an alternative view. Then it just becomes a bunch of like minded parrots having a circle, er, massage. If you allow multiple sides, then you have to rule over it with an iron fist or the nastiness can get out of hand fast. 24/7. TTF doesn't have the resources for that. Nor should he need them. The easier way is to define the purpose of a board, and disallow any off topic content.

Or, IOWS, use dinner party talk rules or some club rules: No religion. No politics. Those 2 topics start more trouble than any other. Granted, some subjects toe the line. In those cases, the topic has to be judged individually and watched closely if allowed to continue.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitely see what you're saying. I just always try to conduct myself as if anyone that knows me could come in here and see what I'm putting. Integrity shouldn't stop on the internet but the sad truth is that most of the time it does. I think one of the good things about here is that we have so many regulars and we all sorta know each other and it's easier to tell when someone might put something "edgy" that it's really just a joke. Sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey online and that's tough for me because 99.9% of the time, and I mean in my life in general, I am being sarcastic. I wonder what regulars of other Steeler boards would think about the way we treat each other here? Or maybe would they even think this board is too "strict". I honestly think some people love the net because it actually ALLOWS them to be the jerk that they really are.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I have no doubt that some here might finds the rules too strict.

I even have to keep myself in check sometimes (usually language related. But I'm also rather opinionated and have to hold my tongue or risk violating the rules). In a perfect world, we could relax things a little bit. But any realist knows that nothing is ever perfect. Keeping things maybe a little too strict, for all its possible flaws, really does keep the relative peace. Especially since we live in a world where there's no such thing anymore as a disagreement. You're right, the other side is STUPID, or evil. ;)

And as I've always said, whatever topic you really want to talk about: hot button social issues, various religions/philosophies/concepts, politics in general or just single issues, or even more "adult" topics - there's a board already out there for that. And if it's just something you and a friend here want to talk about, there's nothing preventing you from doing it in private.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The pg or pg13 nature is what I like the most about this site. It keeps things pretty good natured.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :thumbs_up: