1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 20, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm with you but it looks like we will be wasting our time.

2. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I did not know he came so cheap. This changes my opinion on the move.

Goodbye Baker;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Do you really believe that Russell is not an improvement over the only QB the Steelers currently have on the roster in Kenny Pickett?

Keep in mind that Mason Rudolph probably had a contract offer from the Steelers and chose not to sign it. He, like Baker could have signed with his former team at any time during the offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Well, he did get benched for a guy named Jarrett Stidham

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Seriously?
    I'm pretty certain if you polled any fan which they prefer on a real football team, not 'fantasy' you're going to hear a lot of Mahomes.
    Maybe Wilson was close during his best days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I never really understood Seattle's logic in moving on from Wilson.... I knew there was some locker room drama.
    But his last two years were supposed to be his worst, I'm not so sure.
    Regardless, we just don't want to the Wilson of 2022..... I don't hope/think he will.

I think the cost makes this a good deal. The overall consensuses seem to be along those lines.. no one is boasting "Pittsburgh signed Mahomes and QB problems are now over."

If 2022 is an aberration and we even get 2023 performance, it is pretty good.
    Pittsburgh has to find a way to protect and add to the weapons to make him successful. We cannot have a 36-year-old scrambling around trying to survive and so far Pittsburgh has done zero on that front. Omar and company whiffed on an abundance of Centers and didn't even sniff OT. They did try to trade DJ if the reporting is right but the problem there is that if they trade DJ, there is no depth to replace him. They need to come up with some answers there, even if they keep DJ.

upload_2024-3-12_6-36-21.png

7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    But we locked up a Punter who can flip the field!

8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yeah, getting rid of Shanky shank shank is a positive.. punters are a dime a dozen.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was expecting something more along the lines of Bubba

10. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    We got him now so I want be complaining about it. If we can get his 26 touchdowns compared to Pickett 6 I will take it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    While factually correct, it wasn't a performance benching. Payton tried to do a fast one and renegotiate terms of Wilson's contract in-season. Wilson wouldn't budge, and neither would I.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Only good thing I see about him is the $$$. Denver is like 37-38 million and we are 1.2 million. He is 36 and is obviously past his prime. I do think he will out perform Pickett but what it comes down to for me is the Steelers are years away from being a serious contender for the SB.

Our competition in the AFC has some serious franchise QB's. It is extremely rare to win a SB without a franchise QB. Eagles last to do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    This was a no brainer for steelers. We had the worst offense the last 3 years in the entire league. We were a laughing stock of the league when we could not break the 300 yard mark in a league that caters to offenses with rules and bs d penalties now. Kenny had a whopping 6 TDS last season and even with it being cut short again because he is fragile, the stats were similar to the rest of his career. He is the worst starter in the NFL stats wise. His win loss record is not horrible but it is usually the d that wins us the games and has to get 2 turnovers and score once. Russ had 26 tds last year which makes us a threat to win the division if he repeats last years number. Our OC like play action and russ's stats on play action are off the chart. Even if he fails, it will still be a better offense that inaccurate no stats KP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Ray Guy said shut up;) I tend to agree it is an overlooked position in the NFL but if you believe that field position is an important factor in a football game then you need a great Punter. Although the Raiders were the enemy in the 70's I had a huge respect for Ray Guy. He made Oakland's defense so much better since he'd kick to the coffin corner a lot.

Remember a game in the 70's Raiders/Bills I believe, Ray Guy kept the Raiders in game since their O sucked that day.

15. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I understand the disappointment about not having a long-term franchise QB, but I also like to look at “what are our other options”.

I would rather see Russell and Pickett heading into next year over most other combinations (when you take into account the cost and cap). We now have the opportunity to use some of the extra money on other positions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm not real thrilled about this but I can see your points. Time getting short for me and I am impatient for a Bradshaw/Ben R. type QB for Steelers.

I actually think opening game could have Wilson under center. Maybe with the 2 stud RB's we have things will be better then I'm picturing?? Wilson is older but Brady proved QB's can still have a lot of value in their NFL golden years.

I was pulling for Mayfield but I understand the $$$ problem. I hope he kicks ass with TB and dominates the NFC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Very valid point and I have to accept it. My other family members are not thrilled about it but I'm using your reasoning with them. Most of them wanted J. Fields.

18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Guys like Ray Guy and Matt Turk for that matter could kick the leather off the ball.
    I guess there is a caveat. The Raiders had a thing for kickers.. Janikowski too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    We are not as far from competing as you think. The offenses around the league came down to earth last year. The chiefs won with defense mostly and a few timely drives by superman PM.
    In all fairness to your first point, I think we should have tanked the year Big Ben got hurt. We should have bottomed out and got a qb instead of trading for a safety for gods sake. Safety's are a dime a dozen and we wasted a first round draft pick for one. Minka was a ghost last year for us and fragile. We are making best of lousy situation at qb. We whiffed on KP and paying price for it now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Perhaps you should hope that Mayfield has a disastrous season then gets cut while leaving TB on the hook for his salary and then us picking him up for the Vet minimum. With these insane contracts lately and how much cap hit they handcuff teams for then maybe this is the way to go in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Here's why Wilson was benched those last two games-
    All that money that's owed to Wilson by the Broncos- that's just bonuses and guaranteed money, it wasn't his actual salary. His actual salary would have been another $37 million if he was on the roster on March 13, the first day of the league year. That's above the $84 million we hear about.
    He had an injury clause in his contract which would have guaranteed that $37 million if he were injured during the 2023 season. The Broncos realized that he and Peyton were not going to work, and with three weeks to go tried to renegotiate that out of the contract. Wilson refused.
    That's why he was benched, to possibly save another $37 million on top of that disaster of a contract they have to eat now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It's supremely important to build toward the future, but you also want your team to win. Pickett wins, but so does Mason. I think Russ gives them a chance to win, and win more games. That's all I personally care about right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Plenty of quarterbacks have figured it out farther into their careers than Pickett, who has been saddled with poor offensive lines, an overly-conservative offensive strategy, and the poorly-designed offense of Matt Canada. Even with that, he showed an ability to play his best with the game on the line. We have been spoiled in that regard. There are plenty of guys like Fields who consistently come up small in those moments.

The Chiefs were better than you think. They won some tight games, but they also lost quite a few. If they can upgrade at receiver, a position where they had some killer mistakes last season, they can be even more dominant.

24. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Seems majority of people are assuming Wilson will start over Pickett. I think this will be a fake competition in camp that Kenny will "win". Again we'll be stuck watching the better QB sit on bench

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Possibly, but the best talent will win out in the end. I think that's Wilson and I don't think it's close.
    It's not that I think Wilson is still a pro-bowl player, far from it, but I have no faith in Kenny at all. If he wins the job, he'll lose it. It's only a matter of time