1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rushing Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 24, 2021.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For the record I hate restructuring deals as the end results are cutting three of my all time favorites in Troy, Hines and Heath but when it was done the dead money hit and the base pay they were due in the year the team cut ties with them were manageable. Ben's deal and subsequent restructures made it impossible to do anything other than let him play or hope he retires. There was no forcing him out. You think they blundered now, just think of how bad it would be if they ate 37 million in dead money. There would be a mass purge just to find a 53 man roster that you can afford

• Like Like x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You can get better at anything if you practice.

I heard that Tomlin didn't even practice goaline and short yardage in camp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Steelers were the laughingstock for decades fella. Rethink your resources & find the facts, better than tooting your horn.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A laughing stock? That’s just some paranoia whipped up in your head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Three games in and it’s pointless to watch? What a quitter. If it’s pointless to watch is it pointless to post here too?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Let me ask you an honest question without some snarky Superfan comeback. Are you really happy with the direction of this team and organization?

thanks

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they drafted OL in the first round it would've been a reach, at pick #24 there were none worthy of being picked in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Of course he will keep posting and watching, he said the same crap last season after their 11-0 streak ended.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They practice seven shots all the time in training camp

10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I wasn’t wrong then and I’m not wrong now. Anybody that can’t understand how terrible this offense is I assume is in straight denial? Only plausible explanation

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Kind of like right now?

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Help me understand. Who is responsible for the things that you mention above?
    Who was responsible for our cap situation being so bad after last season?
    Who was responsible for the OL to be this bad after losing so many starters from last year?
    Who is responsible for picking draft picks to run a ball with nowhere to go?
    Who is responsible for the way things are right now?
    These posts read like its no one's fault and its just how things ended up i.e. Bens deal. Everything that is right now is because of the decisions that someone in the organization made, past and present, to make it this way. Every team has the same challenges, cap, drafts, etc. How do you feel we have handled things compared to other teams? I am not complaining or even writhing the season off. It's way too early. But lets face reality. We are where we are because that is what the decisions that were made at various levels of this organization put us in. I keep hoping that somewhere there is a possibility that this ship gets righted before its too late and I'll give it more time before I'll punt this season away. I'll be at my fav watering hole this Sunday making a fool of myself in supporting the Steelers.

• Like Like x 3
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It is definitely not nobody's fault it is the way teams are run. You look at Ben's deal at the time it was made he was still playing at a fairly good level. So the front office has to decide do they resign him based on his level of play and the going rate for QB'S or hope that a perfect QB falls to the later half of the first round and cut ties with Ben. They opted to resign Ben. The restructuring was necessary to gain cap space and each year you do that it increases the base pay the following year and it quickly outpaces the players age and declining skills. It's what happened to Ward, Troy, Timmons, Miller as so on. Majority of this board think restructuring is great, frees up cash but creates problems down the line.

The complete turn over of the offensive line was somewhat of a blindside for the front office and maybe it shouldn't have been. I don't think they considered Pouncey retiring Decastro needing surgery Fieler leaving, AV who was adequate but not elite wanting an extension but not getting it. If they had even considered it they would have made those positions a priority for at least the last four years.

So yes the front office is responsible for a lot of these problems. Let's go back 4 years when most of this started can you really say the moves they made weren't to try and get one last shot at a title with Ben? Even with these mistakes they still made some very good moves to put pieces in place yet time and unforseen circumstances befall every team.

This team with this talent should be able to move the ball especially on the ground, heck scrubs would be able to get 4 yards a carry if you execute right but teams know as long as they are in shotgun they can blow up blocking and get to Harris before he gets to a hole. It's too easy a read and Ben isn't able to make them pay when they do it. If he was under center he could hit a slant route on a one step drop, he can hit either TE on a seam he can do a lot if they just get him to work it.

So the short sweet answer to your question is that's how things are and blame goes to everyone involved as well as praise for staying competitive.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't waste your time. Anybody who doesn't bow at the Rooney's altar will get nothing but insults.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    For me they could have invested resources into challenging the Patriot juggernaut all those years. But instead they just sat back and didn't want to try anything new, don't break traditions. Keep Ben happy and don't rock the boat. Play the same swiss cheese defense. Finish .500 and count the money. Sure many other franchises didn't step up to that challenge either. But the Steelers were in a fine position to be that team imo. And if they are such a proud franchise, they should have.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Not laughingstock but they're being left behind. All the other teams in the AFC North have their franchise QBs. We're still hanging onto one that they shoulda moved on from 3 years ago. The ships leaving and we're still standing on the dock.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    That's one way to look at the situation. Give it some time & we'll have our shiny new qb, the Brady buster himself (yeah hype :lolol:).

We're working on providing some protection & running lanes this year. Ben is the Huckleberry who said yeah, let me try. Tomlin? I hope he goes with Colbert & Ben.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol. I hate the Ravens but for example, they weren't afraid to move on from Flacco when it was time even after paying him a ton. Granted the Jackson experiment hasn't produced post season success, thankfully.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Actually they held on to Flaccid until it was economically feasible to let him go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It’s not entirely the same, how many of those were passes?

These days I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t well over 50% pass.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No not 100%.
    And to expand on that. There are some things I believe need to be done differently, but I’ve already stated what I believe needs to happen several times. I don’t feel there’s much of a problem with the Rooney’s. After all that’s one of the reasons I’m a proud Steelers fan, because of the way we do things.

I actually agree with some of the complaints you have. My issue is the frequency of the same complaints. We have what we have. Can’t change that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Still dead last in rushing through 4 games. End of the last two years Art has specifically said he isn’t happy with the run game and it has to improve yet here we are again. In most situations this would be a big problem for the HC.

23. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I can tell you the first and probably most important step. You let your GM and Coach handle it instead of the QB and Owner having their own private negotiations (they might have been able to talk him into retirement). Not only did Art screw the team on this with Ben. It also sets a bad example to the rest of the team and undermines your coach and GM.