1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rushing Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Art claims he is so sick of being this terrible rushing offense yet here we are again 2 weeks in and by far the worse rushing team in football. Why draft a RB number 1 when you can’t block for him? Why keep a 40 year old QB when he can’t run an under center offense?

Joke of a Rooney more to blame than TOMLIN at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Fire Rooney!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Groundbreaking stuff right here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I doubt Mr. Rooney knew it would turn out like this. They made the right move drafting a RB. We just don't have an O-line giving him a chance.

I do think we made a mistake with Ben. There are a few QB's that have success in late 30's early 40's but Ben ain't one of them.

Even as the season turns to mush I just can't see Tomlin pulling Ben. (an injury probably will end it)

A healthy defense would keep us in games but our offense is highly overrated by some on this board.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I knew it would, but boy did I hear a lot of reasons why I was wrong from so many here on the board. Our line is a mix of young, developing players and vets of middling to mediocre quality. Our QB is held together by duct tape, and needs a solid O line to both protect him and force the defense to respect our running game. What could possibly go wrong with that formula? I said in the off-season that if Ben was coming back, we HAD to prioritize giving him a line that would be solid on Day 1. We didn’t, and it shows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The offensive line was never going to be rebuilt in one offseason with the resources they had available. That is why it made no sense for Ben to come back this year and that is why I and many other on here would have preferred if he had retired after last season.

There may be some marginal improvement as the season progresses, but with the personnel they have I dont think it’ll be near enough to be a relevant postseason team.

Najee is running in to stacked boxes and will be lucky to see 700 yards unless something radically changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can't understand why the running game isn't working right out of the gate this year.

picard-double-faceplam-startrek-facepalm.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    It was a pure EGO move to draft Najee Harris and think we'd suddenly have a run game. The whole team is built for passing...the OL suck at run blocking but are OK with pass blocking. Our offensive depth is at WR. We have a QB who can't run and can only play out of shotgun. Our offense is predicated on the -5 to 5 yard pass.

We should have just accepted we weren't going to have a run game even if we drafted the second coming of Walter Payton and stuck with what we can actually do --- throw it short and hope for YAC.

9. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    That strategy had us looking like the worst offense in football by years end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    So you agree Superfan? Good good

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You can't run the ball when the defense has all 11 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

You can't blame the offensive line for losing the Battle of 11 on 5 in the box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And this just proves that you really don't have any clue what you are talking about. The OL last season and for the last 5 years were more geared towards pass protection of Ben and a heavy pass first offense. The two previous drafts and free agency signings have brought in guys who can run block once the line gels and Chuks is relegated to swing tackle. Harris will be fine once the offense stops being predictable and starts hitting ppl in the mouth or spitting in it which ever comes first.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    What are your suggestions?

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for the compliment “terrible fan”

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s always the same with this guy. “Tomlin sucks” that’s where it starts and ends for him. Nothing new to offer just the same old complaints about Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah the unique problem of Ben's contract coupled with age and injuries has made the situation into something where no mater what the offense looks horrible. Last game I was watching them do motion for the sake of motion. Ben didn't wait and read if it was man or zone, sometimes Claypool or DJ weren't even to the end of the line. They faked a jet sweep but Ben was 3 ft from the guy and it didn't even look half way close to being a real play. Ward used to to motion but he was a great blocker so when he get to the tackle or TE he could turn up field and lay a hit on someone. Ben just looks like he has little time or patience for presnap motion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    You are wrong Glemm I have actually backed off TOMLIN. I’m on to the real problem now Art the Fraud! Nothing like his pops or grandfather for sure. Team is becoming a laughingstock around the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Many of us said Ben should retire and behind this offensive line would be injured by week 3/4. Didn’t even last that long.

Many of us also said we need to draft OL first two picks and start the rebuild with Mason this year. Instead we draft a RB who gets hit before the LOS by 4 guys every carry and is a complete non factor.

What was the plan here?? The offense is worse than ever and we are very close to being the worst team in the division.

None of us influence the decisions the team actually makes but the point of a message board is to discuss and debate ideas. Clearly some of us were right and others can keep burying their heads in the sand I suppose. Wave those towels baby!!

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you have any facts about being the laughing stock around the league or is it just all hyperbole based on your frustration? I have seen several players who have talked about their reasons for signing with Pittsburgh due in no small part to how they run their franchise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There were only two options with Ben it was he retired or he played anything else was fanboy fantasy since his contract was such that trading him or cutting him solved nothing. Given those two options how do you force a franchise QB past his prime but still a valued part of the team to retire? Drafting two offensive lineman in the first round doesn't solve the problem either since there were basically 4 spots needed with Decastro's injury. Which two that got drafted by other teams are making huge contributions to their teams in week 3?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Listen to the national media talk about us. Players love playing for TOMLIN why wouldn’t they? Holds nobody accountable and is a cheerleader. Rooney family is obviously held in very high standards but this version is ruining it. Give it a little more time.

Godamn right I’m frustrated I love this team and city and by week 3 it’s pointless to watch games.

22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    They could have forced Ben out like they did Troy and others. Writing was on the wall but they ignored it.

We won’t know what the OLine could have looked like with two studs in rd 1 and 2. What we do know is Najee running behind this crap is useless and a waste of talent.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Even when they don't stack the line we almost always go for the pass option in RPOs. We aren't going to get better at running if we rarely do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Again who? I watch national media and I don't think anyone is saying the Steelers are a laughing stock. The "hot take" media are going to say whatever they can to get eyeballs and clicks and while some my talk about the old ways of the Steelers doing things is long passed they aren't lining up to trash the Rooney's

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good! Then I assume you won’t be posting your negativity here, since you won’t be watching!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1