1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running the Wrong Routes?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by black hat, Jan 30, 2017.

1. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm surprised I haven't seen anything posted about this.

According to the morning crew at 93.7 FM, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook has reported that Antonio Brown has, on more than one occasion, frequently run the wrong routes, either unintentionally or intentionally, including during the AFC Championship game. He speculates that Brown either loses focus or intentionally runs the wrong routes when he's upset with the game plan.

Pretty disgusting stuff, if it's true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Man, this witch hunt of AB has to stop. What a load of crap. Just like the pouting story.

:bscow:

This Steelers fan is thankful to have you on the team AB!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    oh man we had pitch forks and everything.

pitchfork.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Let's hope that all it is is a witch hunt. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to it. Thinking about it and some of the other things going on with this team the last few seasons, it wouldn't surprise me that it's starting to all add up and maybe that is why Ben is getting more vocal about retirement talk.

More Antonio being a me me guy... Joey acting like a jack off... Bell and Bryant suspensions... Media calling out the coaches every other week... Is it you or Haley questions... Etc... Has to be kind of a turn off I would think and that's before you get to his personal health/injuries. Seems to be too much damn drama.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Man...I've always thought that the Pittsburgh beat reporters were idiots, but let's kick it up a notch, eh Ron?

I don't doubt that Brown could have run a few wrong routes against New England. However, to speculate that it was done intentionally is just silly IMO. Incorrect routes are run in NFL games by accident all the time. Many route combos are not set until the QB and receivers read the coverage at the line. Coverages can be disguised, and incorrect routes can be chosen by the receivers in response to what they think they're seeing. I haven't watched the All-22 tape of the AFCCG to see if the Pats used a lot of pre-snap disguises, but given their sophistication I would guess that they did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Pats D may have just had him so confused he thought he was playing lacrosse? :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I seriously hope this is not true. This is on par with tipping pitches. Trying to sabotage your team is the lowest of the low.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think there's any way that he was intentionally running the wrong routes. Maybe unintentionally. AB isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier so I can understand how a smart coaching staff and a D with a high football IQ like the Patsies can throw you off your game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I heard AB made a right on red today but failed to use his turn signal. Can we please cut him already, his antics are just too much.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    We'll Cook said he has heard more then one player say this to him about AB running the wrong routes on purpose. I think we have a pretty good idea who one of the players is seeing how buddy buddy Cook is with him.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I doubt he ran wrong rtes purposely. Ben or Tomlin or Haley would have dealt with it.

If he did he needs to be traded. That's a given but I just can't se it being true. Watching the all22 won't help on this one.

Cajun

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I don't buy this... but these are the consequences of frequently acting like an ass. Love AB. Could be the best Steeler WR ever. But, dude, STFU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well keep the pitchforks but just use them on the stupid bronies! LOL!

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not buying this story, I heard on SNR that AB has different options on some routes and Ben knows that.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Typical tabloid-esque nonsense. There's no way he ran wrong routes on purpose to sabotage his team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Long way to training camp if we need to read this kind of stories....

IMHO, this is just the result of writers scratching their heads to keep readers interested in their work around the Steelers during the offseason, using the inertia of ABs recent extra stuff.

Several coaches and players regard AB as one of the best route runners in the league.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep, you're absolutely right.

But now the idea has been planted, I expect to see this dragged up many, many times over the next few months by beat writers and fans alike.

We already have our off-season narrative - team in disarray, locker room of divas, tactical naivety etc. etc. - so this is what we'll hear until the draft.

To which we should all be thinking: man, if the team is in this bad a shape, and we got as far as the AFCCG... what will happen if we fix it next year? Just aiming for the Superbowl will be setting our targets way too low. The league will have to create some extra games after the Superbowl so we can win them as well. A Mega Bowl. A Universe Bowl. A Blood Bowl etc. etc.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree , but on the slight chance he did then he will be gone for sure....I sure hope he is not that selfish ,if he is his NFL career will decline very fast ...

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Long way any way

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    AB is looking to sign the last big contract of his career, you think he would sabotage his team in the AFCCG :facepalm:.

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I totally believe AB would do something like this. Very selfish of him.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The most receptions ever in a 4 year span, by running the wrong routes. Someone should take his playbook away.