1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running the wheels off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by m4mica, Jan 23, 2017.

1. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I think an overlooked factor in this game was the use of Bell… specifically the overuse of Bell. Tomlin famously said he would run Willie Parker until the wheels fell off and he seems to be taking that same approach with Bell. The Steelers had success in several games where they came out balanced and scored early. They then proceeded to turn the clock back 50 years and run, run and run some more. They were quite proud of the drive against the Dolphins when they ran Bell 10 straight times to score. Impressive? Yes. Smart? Probably not. In that game Bell ran the ball 29 times and Williams twice, even though the game was over early. This was followed with 30 carries vs the Chiefs.

It is generally known that RBs who have over 370 carries in a season have a huge drop off not only the next season but often signals a steep decline in their career. That works out to 23 carries per game. In Bell’s 14 games prior to the AFCCG he averaged 22.8 carries. When asked, Tomlin would state that Bell could handle it, but there was no basis for that. Sure, his production continued to be good, but at what cost. Further, Williams was available late in the season so there was no reason not to give him some carries and save Bell for games like, I don’t know, the AFCCG. Ironically it was Williams who said that one of the reasons he was still playing at his age was that he split carries in Carolina keeping him relatively fresh. The 370 number is largely a function of the player breaking down and not being given time for the body to rest, heal, recover. It doesn’t matter what kind of shape Bell was in, it was simply irresponsible to wear him down like that which ultimately leads to injury.

Taking this argument one final step, and admittedly this is a bit of a conspiracy theory. I believe Bell was hurt prior to the game. #1 – Touissant was active and Ayers was not. Ayers had played in last 4 games. Touissant has been invisible all season. Clearly for them to win they were going to need to score... Ayers would be the logical choice especially with a healthy Williams. #2 – when was the last time you saw a player get hurt in the game and spend so little time with the medical staff. Granted, we couldn’t see everything on the sidelines but there are normally plenty of shots of them examining on the sideline, going to the locker room, etc. This was not the case and had all the feel of a ‘known’ injury. #3 – he did miss two days of practice. It was reported that he had a baby during this time so perhaps that can be explained away, but no one knows for sure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They already said he was nursing the injury the last couple weeks......but yeah.

3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I read that earlier and was wondering why he and his dodgy groin weren't listed on the injury report.
    :shrug:

4. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    All the more reason that he shouldn't have carried the ball 60 times the past two games. It's not clear who did and did not know, but completely irresponsible by anyone who was aware.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He did go the the locker room. They even mentioned during the broadcast how he had returned from the locker room and was standing on the sideline, but his helmet was on the bench

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Listen man after the game a few years ago againet SF when we were getting our asses kicked and Ben was getting killed and already injured and Tomlin left him in the game....nothing surprises me. All I know is this coaching staff needs to get their heads out of their asses and put their noses to the grindstone this offseason. We need a attitude change and a much smarter approach to the next season than what we've been getting lately......smarter not harder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No question he was overused for the last 5 or 6 games. Also think that was a major reason we didn't grow as much as we should of with our secondary receivers throughout the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Where have heard this before? :shrug:

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember Cowher basically doing the same thing to Barry Foster. You can't kill the golden goose.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    i was saying the same for weeks. We have an above average backup running back that could probably start for some teams and the only time we use him is when the starter gets hurt. Ask Atlanta how having two backs works for them?

11. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think the problem was that with Ben playing like hell the only option was running Bell into the ground as it was the only thing that was moving the offense. Williams is a good enough back though that they could have rotated to keep him fresh somewhat.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Bell is 25 years old, I think he can handle the extra workload. To clarify,
    does the coaching staff need to spot rest Bell thruout the season. Yes, but MT is too
    stupid to do this. What will you say when the Steelers make a contract offer to bell
    this year that will pay him 12.5 mill/season for the next 4 years. You will say lets
    make him earn every penny. give him a zillion carries every week. I can hear it now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I am with you. There is no excuse why Williams was not use more this season. DWill is a very good back. He could easily carried the running game while Bell was on the sideline for a series or two. I don't think it was Bell ability so much, it was the offensive line domination in games and I believe DWill or even Toussiant could of made runs behind our oline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    With a backup like Williams, running Bell isn't the ground is unacceptable.