1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pjgruden, Sep 21, 2021.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we all could agree that the running game so far hasn't been up to snuff.

So I was thinking, what if Canada just kind of forced the running game to improve? I'm talking a completely new game plan, with a 70-30 run to pass ratio. Line up in Jumbo and just run it over and over again.

Could this backfire spectacularly? Of course it could. But, could the OL gel more quickly as a result? I think that's a possibility too. If Ben is hobbled, I don't really feel like it's a smart move to chuck it all the place. Establishing a running game can only help the team in the future.

Thoughts? Am I just being brain dead?

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It all starts with forcing the QB to be under center.

Great video on how to improve the running game by using Watt to force the defense into "Big" sets..

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Green Bay stayed patient with the run and run type passes last night.

The Mannings were high on that game plan because it got Rodgers back in sync and forced the Defense to keep honest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    You don't need to be under center for an effective running game. You can run pistol and do a lot of the same concepts as a Power I or Ace formation. Out of the Pistol, you can even have Watt as Ben's sidecar, or you can have 2 sidecars to have a 4 man backfield to look like an inverted wishbone. Thing is, Canada has these sets in his arsenal, he just hasn't broken them out yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1