1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by weegie87, Jan 3, 2012.

1. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not bashing on Mendy, however, I believe the running game with his injury, just became more geared for January football. Redman is very powerful, and has shown the ability to catch out of the backfield. This is important due to Ben's lack of mobility. He can check down to Redman for a certain 5-6 yards. Clay has been a pleasant surprise as well. Hopefully, between the two of them they can impose their will towards the end of games. Granted, who knows if they will be utilized properly, but when the clock needs to run, I don't see either of these two backs dancing 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage....Excited to see if they are up for the challenge.

2. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Clay has 10 rushes for 41 yards and 1 TD which was 10 yards on his first ever carry.
    That leaves 9 carries for 31 yards with an average of 3.4 yards a carry.
    Don't know how this would be a pleasant surprise. Lets see what he can do against a good run defense first.
    I like your optimism but there really isn't anything to judge him by just yet.

3. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    To clarify, surprised by his hard style of running, not to mention he does not appear to be intimidated by the situation he has found himself in....

4. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree that Clay and Redman seem to have the same mentality of hitting the hole hard which is what we want to see, especially in the playoffs. Mendy is solid, but behind this offensive line, you can't dance around and wait for holes to develop as much as he does. Redman hits the hole right away and if there is 1 yard there, he tries to get 2 or 3. Mendy, on the other hand, sees that only 1 yard is there and tries to dance around and loses 1 or 2. Clay, based on a limited sample size, seems to run more like Redman, which I think is good with our OL.

Hopefully these two bruisers will wear down defenses, keep us out of 3rd and long situations, and get this running game rolling in the playoffs. That being said, there has to be a concern with their lack of experience and also the lack of depth.

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    And lack of being able to hold onto the ball?

6. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Our running game depth is looking very thin. Redman is good for powerful, straight ahead running, but who can take it to the house with speed now? Since we have lost Mendy, Dwyer, Batch, (maybe Moore) we need to hope for no more injuries. I would actually be OK w/ giving FWP a call for temporary help.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I thought about thar also. FWP would make sense if he still had his speed but he doesn't so i dont see him working out.

8. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We are gonna be just fine. Red needs to learn to lay down instead of trying to carry 3 guys.

9. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes, he fumbled, and hopefully the Bejesus has been scared out of him...He runs hard, and is elusive...

10. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I don't think that FWP is as fast as he once was anymore. He hasn't played the game in years. Why not Phone Up Deuce Staley while we're at it?

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Great idea! That's what's been missing! A sweatsuit model! :hehehe:

12. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Great idea! That's what's been missing! A sweatsuit model! :hehehe:[/quote:srt6kfmq]

LMFAO

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the bus? barry foster? is bam out of jail? memo should be close to coming back. we can handle it with the 3 that are healthy for one game. :cool:

14. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I agree with this comment and the original post as well. As long as Redman holds onto the ball, he can "mini" Jerome Bettis the opponents.

15. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks for the sanity there "bigsteelerfaninky"...The offense at some point is going to have to run time off of the clock, and I believe Redman is the best option to do so...With, or without Mendy...

16. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Rest assured that Redman is carrying a football with him everywhere he goes this week. He should be fine in Denver.

17. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Great idea! That's what's been missing! A sweatsuit model! :hehehe:[/quote:rxmo6ip9]
    While we are at it, let's give "Dookie" a call. :roflmao:

They brought up Chad Spann -- think our running game will be fine with the guys we have.

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we should let Ziggy carry the ball...look how that whole "fridge" thing worked out for Da Bears!

19. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have stated that this is a blessing for the running game, however, I am afraid that Bruce Arians will not use it because Mendenhall is not back there. His new game plan will be to throw the ball all over the yard. Like I said before, Redman is the perfect back for January football. He is a straight line runner where Mendenhall is a dancer. Redman is the type of runner for this time of year, it is the time for power football

What will Bruce Arians do?

I say DON'T RESIGN BRUCE ARIANS!!!!

20. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll be waiting by the phone :good:

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If there was such a thing as a certain 5-6 yards, we wouldn't need 3rd and 4th down at all...

22. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Look and tell me the last time Redman was checked down to that he didn't gain 5-6 yards....

23. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Last game vs the Browns, 2nd qtr. he did not gain 5 or more yards.

24. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Bingo - carrying 3 guys into the endzone is great, but if you're in the secondary at mid-field and you've got 6 guys about to gang tackle you it's time to give in.

25. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yeah, before the Browns game, Redman didnt have a fumbling issue that I was aware of. He learned from this game and he will be just fine. :)