1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Game Last Night

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dkblue, Nov 28, 2011.

1. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Suppose you made an edited tape of all of the running plays from last night. What is the major failure? I tried and here was what I saw.

First was the lack of any sort of deception. The runs were obvious as was the point of attack. The blocks were late. I find it hard to blame Mendy as he rarely had anywhere to run.

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I thought Mendy and Redman had a few nice runs. I feel like if they would have kept at it with the run game the damn would have broke and they would have ran all over them.

Instead they were running with MMoore most the time. What gives?

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What gives ? Don't you know by now that B.A. is so much smarter than anyone else. Hey lets put MeMo in, he's our 3rd down back they'll never expect a run. They had a first down at the 6 after Ike's pick they run Mendy no lead blocker,then they have both Mendy and Red in there and they motion Mendy out of the backfield ???? and run redman with no lead blocker.The man has no clue on how to use formations correctly ,which is why we suck in the red-zone.The more I talk about it the sicker I get. It's unacceptable.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we want a running game we need a good guard (better two) and a real fb ,not the garbage we have now.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You are right on the money with what you saw. Opposing defenses know exactly what is coming at them and they react and shoot gaps and plug anyplace a hole could be. They see it coming a mile away and their LBs and Safeties read and react. Mendenhall is not the problem, the play designs and predictability are the issue.

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is predictable but that is all the o-line is capable of. The guards are too slow to pull and Foster misses blocks that cause the plays to get blown up from the start. If you recoded the game rewatch it, Foster missed 7 blocks, 7..That is unacceptable at any level for an o-lineman and when I say missed I mean he whiffed to the point were his man got in the backfield without being touched and on run plays he gets pushed back 2 yards and that forces Mendenhall to cut back when trying to get to the corner and that little hesitation is the difference between a 6 to 10 yard run versus a 2 yard gain. You can be deceptive with this bunch, too slow and too weak, they need to at least get in the weight room once in a while instead of going for 4ths at the Thanksgiving day table.

7. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I'm going to defend Moore.

For the most part, and recently, he has gotten us out of a lot of jams by making catches and first downs. He is also a pretty darn good runner. So, he fumbled a ball at the worst time possible last night. I am not going to hold it against him because people make mistakes. His was just a lot bigger than most.

I'd rather have Moore as our RB and Redmen as our FB and get rid of Mendenhall. Mendy just is not as good as people think he is.

8. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    When I clicked onto this thread I thought I was going to see the word SUCKED!!! That word best describes our running game. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

9. moonface

moonface Active Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Actually I don't think the running game is that bad . Problem is it doesn't get an opportunity to get going as Big Ben gets in the way. Against Baltimore at home they ran the ball well. But that last drive where the game should have been won it was, pass(dropped catch), run (few yards), pass (dropped catch), hand the ball back and then blame defence for not stopping them. What would Bill Cowher have done. Last night great example, last quarter moved the ball well first and ten at the KC 40 yard line. Turned to the wife and said watch Ben will throw a deep ball now, which he did and bingo interception. I then said why couldn't they have just run a few plays. It just never gets a chance to develop.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The funny thing is that when they drop the zone blocking bs and just grab the guy in front of them and drive them back the holes are there and Mendy, Redmen even Moore look like studs rattling off first down runs. They proved it earlier in the year when Mendenhall got hurt mid-game and Was taken out. The Oline dumped the stunts slants, traps and so on that they aren't athletic enough to even to pull off
    and went to something they are good at which is drive blocking they opened holes. Yet they keep going back to this garbage. as far as being deceptive you can do that with schemes and formation.

I said it in a thread last week. Since they love the four reciever set and single back look but in a package that Has Wallace and Brown as the WR with Miller and Saunders in as TE's(Saunders because lets face it he is better than Johnson at catching and is a more believable threat. You then run a series of places out of that personnel grouping that keeps the defense guessing. You place Brown wide left with a bunch formation tight right. Miller and Saunders up front Wallace behind. You keep them in tight to the line and throw the quick screen to Wallace and let him run. Lin-up again same formation and hit Mendenhall on the swing pass left. Get back up to the line have Miller and Saunders now blocking at the right with Wallace and Brown stacked left and run off tackle. Split The TE on the line and the WR and hit a quick slant to Miller or Saunders, go Bunch formation again and run a double reverse or the fake reverse and let Mendenhall carry it. and just keep going and using all five guys multiple ways until the defense is just guessing on every play. Heck even try a direct snap if you put Mendenhall as a side car or a QB draw with Ben.

11. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Our Guards suck but Mendy isn't a smash mouth running back. He dances and tries to break every play to the outside. I would settle for him putting his head down hitting the hole and gaining 3 yards. He has way to many runs for a loss or no gains. OL is half the problem the other is Mendy not being able to make a guy miss.