1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Backs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ohfosho, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think it starts and ends with the Oline. They were so bad this year any RB would have struggled. Really piss poor play calling didn't help either. It's first down and we trot out two TE's and the fan favorite tackle eligible Banner does anyone here guess run. After the obvious run gets stuffed for a 1 yd gain second down will be a dump off to a WR standing still 6 yds behind the LOS loss of 4. Now its third down and 13 with either rookie QB ( doesn't matter who ) and the whole world knows the defense is got their ears pinned back and are bringing the heat. So does Fuchner call a desperation deep throw down the sideline or another useless bubble screen.
    I don't remember any quick slants, very few crossing routes and never a TE down the seam.
    The Oline was average to bad most of the year and Fichner serves up a HS quality game plan.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There were many factors hurting the running game this season. One was that teams had zero reason to respect the pass. Smith-Schuster under-achieved badly and there was no other receiver defenses respected. The quarterbacks simply couldn't take advantage of defenses daring them to pass. The loss of Nix also hurt.

That said, they still have trouble at running back. Conner can't be counted upon and nobody else there has shown they can be a feature back.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They like Okorafor, Banner, and Gray, so they have guys that can step in for the starters. Ramon is as good as gone, but my gut says Finney stays.

All the other starters will most likely be returning, and the PFF graded the line top-ten, top-3 in pass blocking.

All I'm saying is it isn't the #1 need. I'd put RB, TE, S, and ILB ahead of it.