1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Backs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ohfosho, Dec 22, 2019.

1. ohfosho

ohfosho Member

Aug 9, 2014
    I think it's time to clean house on running backs . Was wondering what everyone's thought on trying to trade Connors. I was thinking maybe they should go after Melvin Gordon he shouldn't break the bank ,also Kareem Hunt is a option to go after. Najee Harris should be available with our 2nd pick also. What's your thoughts ?

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I’m done with Conner he can’t stay healthy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Other teams aren't going to give up anything for Conner, he's heading into the final year of his contract next year and he's injury prone. No I wouldn't draft Najee Harris in the second round, you can find a RB in the later rounds.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like Connor as a back up... I think we could probably draft a really good one with our first pick in second round. I wouldn't overpay for one that already has mileage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Have to have something others want to make a trade and we don't have anyone. Conner is a joke and teams will laugh at us trying to pawn him off.. Once I saw him going down hard on the sideline I knew he was going to be hurt and sure as sh!t next thing I saw he was on a bike pedaling while our offense was trying to win. Don't care about stories or anything that doesn't lead to availability and wins. Players are millionaires and highly paid to entertain and be an asset. He is not an asset and needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I wouldn't draft a RB in the first or second round. We need a LT and LG. Foster is big and slow and Villanueva can't stop false starting. He false starts because he is constantly being beaten off the edge. His feet are stuck in quicksand. We need to fix our O-line and that is priority number one in my opinion. Then we need to replace Fichtner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lots of holes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Needs .... draft and fa
    t.e
    Qb
    Rb
    Ot
    Og
    Dl

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I still believe our TE's are already on the roster, just hasn't been anyone at QB who has the ability to really use them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Nothing wrong with Snell/Sam/Whyte. They aren't the problem. It is our OL. They can't run block. They can't pass block a 4 man rush.

Stop worrying about a rb until we fix our line. Nothing else matters. Not even qb.

Fix the line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok, so that's 3 positions of need off the board... lol. So, do we get a vet lineman or draft?

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    So many variables.

Are we riding Ben for the remainder of his contract? It's always "nice" to draft one and develop him, but that takes time. If Ben is under center, we don't have time. Find a vet? But one piece doesn't fix the line. We need a viable replacement for Munch. Finney wasn't a drop off in performance at center, so he could be a stop-gap for a couple seasons.

But Ben is going to want Pouncey. That means an unstable, underperforming line. That is, unless Pouncey has been underperforming because Ben isn't rubbing his balls on Sundays. Blasphemy? Stranger things have happened.

If Ben can't go, we should start rebuilding the line through the draft and develop the next great offensive line to take us back to the playoffs. But again, that only happens when we find a suitable replacement for Munch. We don't have the right coaches to develop this team properly.

And that brings me to the real answer to any question about the future...we need new coaches. Clean house and get some teachers of men, not buddies of overgrown children who blow smoke up their, and our, asses.

It's time to clean house. Until that happens, it really makes no difference what they do with personnel.

Tomlin will have his first losing season next year and squander a potentially good defense unless he hires new coaches and turns over more responsibility to them. He just needs to rah-rah and pump his fist and treat the athletes on a sliding scale of equality like he has been for years. If he gets a good supporting cast and stops pretending to coach, we might just win more than 8 games.

• Like Like x 3
  13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Connor is a change of pace RB at best. He did well last year behind a Munchak coached OL, but this year they have not helped anyone. It definitely proved last year Bell was not so special as he had the OL I could have run behind. I could have been just as special....LOL. Seriously though, Connor is not durable enough to be a #1 coming out of camp next year. I would bump Snell over him at the start of camp just because he now has a year behind him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am with every other fan of football as well as the Steelers. You wanted to see Connor do well based on his story alone. I have no medical background, but I wonder if his health history has anything to do with his durability. I would think that any amount of chemo or radiation would have to have some long term effect on his body. I think I am more concerned for his durability on his body than I am as a football player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Did they sign another one for the stretch run? :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Who's Connors?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    OL needs > TE, RB, QB

18. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Vet or draft is a tough decision. If the kid comes out of college ready, I say draft. If he needs to be coached up to reach his full potential, I say vet because in this day of FA once he is coached up to his full potential, he will be out looking for the next big payday. Unfortunately the FA rules have put a damper on pro football because there is no loyalty.

19. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    James Conner great story, and when totally healthy, can be a beast out there. He just is not able to stay healthy. I would like for him to be the second option, if we could somehow get a true workhorse #1. Remember his rookie year, he'd come in for Bell every once in a blue moon and rip off a 7-12 yard? Stuff like that

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the offensive line is more the issue. It needs fixed. You won't fix it in one year either.

The team who usually wins the battle at the line of scrimmage usually wins.

Steelers haven't run blocked well all year and the last 5-6 games haven't pass blocked well either.

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would not give up any draft capital for a RB or trade for one. Their shelf life is very short. I would keep Conner because he's cheap.
    You can find decent running backs late in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think even if Finney walks and Ramon is cut we are good with our line... I like our depth at guard, and I think our qb woes are what exposed our tackles and blitz pick up this year.

If anything we may need a back up center, but I’m not spending an early pick on one.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Wasn’t Munchak also responsible for the run game? If so, it explains the regression

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    when you can line up 10 men within 3 yds of the line of scrimmage on every play because it’s either a run or a pass at the line of scrimmage, it makes it tough on the o-line. Would explain their difficulties this year

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    :eek:

Please tell me you forgot the green font! Please!!

No?

Okay then...welcome to football. You might want to check and see if there is a beginners course at the learning annex in your town because we don't have enough time to get you up to speed.