1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Run the ball and stop the run

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 11, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I understand football changes and this is not 1980 anymore but you can’t expect to win in cold weather if you are unable to run or stop the run. We couldn’t do either for most of the season. Some teams with great coaching and qb can overcome that but not happening here.

need some big boys on O/D line.

Sacks are great and all but where are they in the playoffs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    What happened? We were number 2 against the rush through October. Then the bottom fell out. True Bush got injured, but if our D is so fragile that missing one piece will cause it to crumble then the team needs to do a thorough autopsy to understand where we failed

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    When we lost bush/alua it fell off a cliff. Then LB rotations from injuries didn’t help.

I remember our stout run defense with big snack/farrior/kiesel/Woodley/Harrison there was just no running on them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I understand it was only one guy but, When Highsmith went down, and we were " trying " to make a comeback...Marsh just got abused...And their " interim " HC was was smart enough to recognize, that this was happening!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    BTW, why was Marsh playing most of the snaps and not Adeniyi?

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Spilane was awful yesterday in every way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is my question as well. Someone help me to understand WHAT happened....

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah we started to see the limitations of Spillane. ILB needs to be a priority in draft. If not for a replacement for Vince, but also the 2nd stringers.

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s the problem.

The coaches don’t know.

10. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still think we have alot if talent on this team in the receiver core, Defense. but we have no real featured back or backs thats what we're missing!!! We need a one two punch to wear defenses down. Identity who are the Pittsburgh Steelers of late? We are not nasty enough that dog mentality of the past!! Until the Steelers figure out who they are and what they want to be there will be more of the same!!

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Exact same thing happened when we lost Shazier. I was not surprised to see the level fall off when Bush went out.

12. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The criticism for the lack of sacks yesterday is ridiculous. The aggressive blitzing doesn't work when you are down 28-0 in the first Q. The browns actually made that game closer than it should have been. They have one of the best running games in the league... they should have just ran it every chance they got. Their ability to run with a huge lead shut down our QB rush. Losing Highsmith didn't help. Marsh looked completely lost out there and the browns were smart enough to go after Spillane and run away from Watt. The quick passes and runs eliminated any chance of QB pressure. The offense spotted the Browns a 28 point lead. The defense helped by blowing coverages and using a cold LB that wasn't ready for the speed of the game.