1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Run game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Nov 6, 2011.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am not going to get into crying about how the refs screwed the pooch on this game. What I will talk about it why you don't try to establish the run game in the fourth quarter. You need to pound the rock through the game early in order to have the ability to close out the game with it late. Trying to established a running game with dominance late in the fourth just doesn't work. I know that with Brown, Sanders, Wallace, Miller and such you have alot of weapons but you need to have the run when you need it and they needed it in the red zone tonight and it wasn't there.

I not saying the game plan should be 75% run especially against a great run stopping team such as the Ravens or the Steelers but you do need to wear them down so you can get a first down when you need it third and five and you throw it to the flat to Moore? heck bring the jumbo set and pound on them.

2. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Sounds like you miss Bettis. :bye:

3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Isn't that the truth... :cry:

4. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Bus had a line that could actually block people

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I miss the bus I miss krieder, I miss throwing a screen play, I miss imposing your will on the other team. I can pretty much guarantee that no one on the Ravens front seven was worried about Mendy breaking one, or Moore catching a screen pass, or Redman pounding it into the line time and time again.

6. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The lack of a running game had no impact on whether the Steelers won or lost this game. Our defense continues to suck pond water and everyone want to point at the running game, or lack thereof?

rutan

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That is a cop out. This line can block when they are asked to straight up drive block and do some down hill power run blocking they have proved that. It is when they are asked to zone block and cut and trap, pulling guards on slow developing run plays that they look slow weak and pathetic. If they asked them to get nasty and get after people you could average 5 yards a carry and wear teams out. But that doesn't let Ben be the superstar and it isn't the type of team we have yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The run game and the refs didn't matter. The fact that most of us were nervous when Flacco had 92 yards to go says it all. Our D backfield stinks.

9. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Running game? What is this Running Game you speak of? :blink:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Seemed like the Oline played pretty well tonight. :shrug: Ben had a good amount of protection most of the time, and Suggs was almost a non-issue as far as pass rush is concerned.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I didn't say it was the reason they lost, I said you can't expect to establish it in the fourth quarter and use it to close out a game. Yep the defense sucked on that 92 yard drive no doubt but when you give the offense the ball with less than five to go and your have a four point lead. You want to see them chew up the clock don't throw in completions try running plays that are well telegraphed and allow the Ravens to hold onto their timeouts.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree as far as pass protection but they really didn't try to take advantage of the aggressive ravens defense to make them defend the screen pass which would make the safeties cheat up and op it up more for Wallace, Brown, and crew. They didn't use Johnson and Saunders when they lost Ward and they didn't try to disguise run plays like having Redman as FB and doing the short hand off.

13. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    O-Line played great. Ben dropped back to pass 37 times and was sacked only once

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Even that sack could have been avoided if they would have dialed up the screen pass, Moore was untouched as he made it to the second level looking to make a block. He went right through the gap that Kruger left as he went wide on Gilbert. In Ben's younger days he could have sprinted through that hole as well and probably got the score. This is the thing about having a passing attack is that if you don't get into the endzone on YAC things tighten up as you get close and if you haven't got your run game going it is tough to start when it is 2nd and goal with three yards between the back and the endzone and the defense doesn't fear them.