1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RUMOR HALEY COULD BE FIRED ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I thought this was pretty classless from Browns owner Joe Banner to call a coach on an opposing team awful, never heard of this before, while I agree Haley needs to go, an owner shouldnt be bad mouthing another teams coach on twitter:Browns executive, Joe Banner, went to Twitter on Sunday to call Haley "awful."

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So nothing bad to say about Mike Tomlin or how DL's defense is old and stale. If he is going to bash. At least include all that should be. Don't hold back for just one of the 3 malcontents.

3. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    For all the bashing of Haley and the anointing of Arians. Do note the following.

When Haley was coordinator at Arizona his offenses (most notably passing) were ranked 3rd in points and 4th in yards the year they lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The next year they were 7th and 12th. He goes to an awful Chiefs team and in his 2 and a 1/2 years there the offense goes 27 to 23 to 14 (12th in points and it was based on more on running). It's not like he doesn't know anything.

Arians, who is supposed to be an offense guy, is doing it in Arizona on the back of a Top 10 defense and one that is near the top of the league in turnover margin. His offense is currently ranked 28th in yards and 19th in points. Last year they were 16th in points and 12th in yards. For what its worth maybe Arians is a better head coach/manager guy than he is as a coordinator.

The issues with the red zone and scoring were just as much a problem under Arians as they are under Haley. If anything it reflected worse on Arians because at least he had a defense that was good most of the years he was here. I personally was not a fan of Arians, I thought his offense too grab bag and often poorly focused on taking what a defense gives you....but alas with the issues I see now I am beginning to see a more common thread to the issue and sadly that is Ben Roethlisberger. I think Ben is a great physical talent, he has got moxie, he is a gamer, but I do not think he is ever going to be the kind of QB who can really break down defenses...not how he rolls.

4. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

It proves that wins and losses for these coordinators are silly metrics and don't tell very much at all.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well that doesn't surprise me, anytime a positive light is shined on Tomlin, its excused away.

Just like his 74-44 record, plus 2 trips to the SB and winning one of them. Sorry, you don't do that if you can't coach. I've seen too many coaches take over successful talented teams who couldn't do it.

Now that the well has dried up, no one wants to afford him the luxury of building his own team. In a world of instant gratification, fans will never wait 2 or 3 seasons.

6. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Good points. What's the over/under on the lifespan of the next OC?

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While the D played awful, I think the O was even worse this week. The only thing worse than the O was the review of the interception that was not overturned.

8. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Notice I said coordinator. wins are a perfectly valid metric for measuring HC success.

Either way, I don't think it's unfair to say this is season 3. If things continue at this rate I think we get rid of him. Only fools would call for a midseason firing with this team.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree on that account, would have to be after the season.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Does it require everyone to be perfect to long or to make the perfect blocks at the right moments or is it that the systems is based on the QB getting the play reading the defense and either executing the play as called or checking out of it?

In BK99's example the screens to RB or the bubble screens those are just as dependent on what Ben is seeing as the players being perfect. If Ben sees that the coverage is in press especially on the slot receivers then the likelihood of success for that screen has dropped dramatically. If they go spread with no one in the backfield and the defense shows that everyone other than the front four are dropping back in coverage then Ben needs to change the play to take advantage of it, namely a quick slant into that open area behind the DL and before the LB's. It wouldn't matter if it was Haley's offense, Tomlin's offense, BA's offense or not, if you are putting your faith in your franchise QB to make the right reads and he struggles then it makes everything look horrible.

As far as DL goes yes he needs to ask for help because plugging away hoping that the rookies finally get it is not a winning strategy. Ask for help get ideas, try some radical thinking like you did when you set the league on fire with 3-4 fire zone blitz. But at this point they are predictable, they are, here is an idea look at what other defenses do to the Steelers OL to confuse and create pressure it might help.

11. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He should be. It's that simple.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, because mid season firings never have the intended effect to shock the team back to reality when they're really sucking it up. Like that time a couple of years back when the Rats fired Cam Cameron mid-season...:eek: Oh wait, never mind.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No offense to anyone but I think it's laughable to think Ben cant read defenses after 10 years in the league, its not rocket science. Maybe when he first came on the scene, he struggled with it, like any young QB but now? Its easy to see for any veteran. In the Tampa game, when they ran it that last play and had to punt it away, Ben said afterwards that Tampa was covering the pass, he had no choice but to hand it off.

Yeah but Cam was not the HC. If the Steelers want to fire Haley, by all means :lolol:

14. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    We had this same exact conversation three years ago with Bruce Arians. same thing. The offense, we said (most of us said) was stuck in neutral. It couldn't score in the red zone. For some time, Arians had a trio of WRs in Wallace, Brown, and Sanders. He had a younger, healthier Heath. Regardless, we're still doing the same old, same old: blaming the coordinator.

I'm not sure anyone realizes this, but the Steelers' offense in 2012 and 2013 outcored the offense that won SB XLIII with Arians at OC. Just saying.

Now, I'm not saying Haley isn't blameless. But I learned my lesson with Arians, of whom I was a very vocal critic. And I laughed when he was hired at Indy, laughed even more when he was hired as the cards coach. I'm not laughing anymore.

Haley is a good coach. He's proven that. Arians has now, since, proven his worth, too.

Therefore, maybe we need to look elsewhere for the problems. I think I have an idea of where it exists. It's not what most of you want to hear.

15. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well I am going to put my opinion out there - we don't have the right Redzone personnel. Our receivers are too short and thin-framed and we don't have more than one TE who can catch. Once the field tightens up, our receivers are too short to catch the ball up top and too weak to push around the DB's.

16. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with this so much. But, we never want to help this.

17. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Banner is the former CEO of the Browns.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This should be a clean sweep after the season ends.We have lost our(STEELER) way.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And accurate.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not saying that Ben can't read a defense. He can and has shown sucess at it. What I was asking is can you chalk the struggles on offense up to just Haley'a system taking too long or being too complex or should blame lay across the board for failures. Some of these things are Ben's fault. The two sacks in row on Sunday the second one was on him. He was looking downfield when Heath was open for at least a five yard gain. The Jacksonville game if he wasn't allowed to change the play then that's on the coaches

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah what is that... not sure if they know each other or not, but sounds personal?

23. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My take on Haley is that I think he's proven to be an effective OC elsewhere, but his scheme simply doesn't fit our QB. You're not going to get Ben to stop being Ben. That much is becoming obvious to me, and I don't think it's more complex than that. When our offense was successful in no-huddle mode for the tail end of last season, Ben seemed to have more freedom to do his thing.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Which begs to question, why did we get away from that? I think Haley is back to his old ways and egos are clashing. What other explanation could be for not running it more? And then there is Charlie Batch' observation that even when we are in no huddle, it seems a slower version, as if Haley is feeding Ben the plays.

Haley dinks and dunks too much for my liking, let Ben run it.