1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule Change: Coaches Can Now Challenge Pass Interference Calls/Non-Calls

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Formerscribe, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rs-make-pass-interference-noncalls-reviewable

The Saints pushed to allow coaches to challenge pass interference calls and missed interference calls after being robbed of a trip to the Super Bowl by a non-call in the NFC Championship Game.

Of course, the Steelers know all about getting screwed by terrible pass interference calls in the Superdome. The Patriots also got away with pass interference in the end zone against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Coaches will still only have two challenges and a third if the first two are overturned, so I have no problem with this. If anything, I believe they should add one more challenge per team because the officials get pass interference wrong all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Disagree.

Horrible horrible rule.

Colin Cowturd brought up a great point today......there's PI on literally every single hailmary at the end of a game. This could potentially change the outcome of games in ways not thought of. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    For the play that people are bringing up, with Gilmore getting away with grabbing Cook's off hand, I thought that was legal technique. For the past 2 years, I've seen that over and over when opposing DBs prevent the Steelers from making a big pass play (unless the receiver somehow 1-hands it).

I've been upset that the Steelers' coaches haven't been getting the DBs to do that to the other team. The players need to adjust to how the refs are calling the game.

I understand why it gets missed: the ref is probably watching the ball and the upper bodies, and not noticing the grab of the other hand preventing the receiver from using both hands. I'd be fine if there was a (very quick) review to make sure this particular DPI gets called.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Have to say, I like the way the AAF is doing it with a Ref in the box responsible for appealing "flags" or "no flags" on PI. Otherwise, most teams will probably be out of challenges before the 1st Qtr ends. But speaking of the AAF, I see where they're talking about a possible shutdown fairly soon over a dispute with the NFLPA on the free ue of young NFL players. http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26372845/aaf-jeopardy-folding-says-majority-owner