1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph wins #2 job in TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Aug 27, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Better your chance absolutely

Good chance not so much

I think we are on the same page

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Wilson was a very good QB in his prime but I agree with the rest!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly and we were very lucky to get the first QB in the 2022 draft

Just saying not disagreeing

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Everyone except the steelers knew before that draft that it was a horrible draft at the QB position....Of course they need to be right like the trade up of the chiefs for mahomes in 2017 or the bills for allen in 2018

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    This would make more sense if they traded up

6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Lucky in a way, but very unlucky that the 2022 QB class was pathetically weak

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bawb the Revelator

Bawb the Revelator Member

Dec 23, 2020
    KP8 was definitely not "good luck." in 2022. Credit some combination of MT's stubbornness and laziness in drafting a QB who was "there" without giving Mason a full shot at QB1. I'm a shrink in LA and do not know Tomlin, Colbert or the Pgh scene so I'm guessing. Tomlin is glib and he knows Xs/Os more than I ever will. He's NOT a terrible HC but he's not Lombardi or George Allen either. Kurt Warner was out of the NFL before he caught a break. People mature at wildly varying rates - see DeMarvin Leal. I was no Mason fan before he got hot but if Rooney was paying me gazillions a year and Ben R was on his last legs I'd need to test EVERY DAMN VARIABLE as closely as I could.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason had 6 years

How big of shot more than than that did he need

Great googly moogly let’s get over Mason the backup who had a couple of good games in 6 years

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bawb the Revelator

Bawb the Revelator Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You're dead right. Sorry. I'm dealing with a tiny sample of MR starts and then CONFLATING that with long-standing fedupness with Tomlin's mastery of skillful self promotion. OTOH how many octogenarians will cop to a posted phuque up?

• Like Like x 2
  10. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    1-Mason was not given a snowball chance in hell .2 Brady was not a franchise qb when he first started but had a good line and was coached well ,except for the cheating part of the patsys M.O. Ben seemed great his 1st. year but he had a good line great running backs and a better coach ,imho he stayed good under tomlin cause he did not listen to tomlin and played his own way . thus we can not expect a great qb till we get a good coach who understands the offence side of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrongasSteel

StrongasSteel Member

Jan 8, 2017

I agree. I remember the Detroit game---he was also hampered by a horrendous dink-and-dunk offense put in place due to Ben's injury. When he missed the game, I was hoping they'd let Mason throw farther than 10 yards. But it was a late call to start him, IIRC, and people said they couldn't (wouldn't?) change the game plan that late. And then, of course, came the sideways rain, fumbles, and dropped passes (one was a TD, I believe). So that was that game. 2019 has already been explained---stats weren't bad minus two strange situations--and the same ****ty offense.

Fast forward to last year--first pass is an 86-yard TD. Proceeds to light up Bengals. We also went to Seattle and won, which we hadn't done in like 40 years (with Ben or any other QB). We also go to Baltimore and beat them in the rain. Despite playing some backups, Baltimore NEVER is out of a game with us (even when half their team had COVID and we had Ben). Teammates were talking about how they had a renewed confidence and spark. We go to Buffalo with a potentially winning game plan despite half of our defense being injured, no TJ as usual, etc. Snow delays the game, we stick with run-heavy plan (despite clear field). Still pull within 24-17 in the fourth quarter, in Buffalo, before defense collapses.

Those of us who think letting Mason go for a (probably) washed-up Wilson and never-was-good Fields was a mistake are not crazy for wanting to see what Mason could have done with a real offense, a real off-season, and a vote of confidence. We shall see.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but Wilson and Fields did little to show me why they were let go. Crap--Denver is paying Wilson to NOT BE THERE. I think we blew this, but hopefully I am wrong. I just want us to win some stinking playoff games---been a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Rudolph is on the Titans to serve as a veteran backup. He will help mentor a young QB in Levis.

Rudolph has touch on his deep ball, but people confuse that for a strong arm or throwing with velocity. I was never impressed with his medium range passing game, particularly out routes where he never seemed to get the ball there.

I recognize Rudolph is a good guy and a fan favorite among some, but he isn’t a franchise QB. If he were, he wouldn’t have gone to the Titans to compete for a backup spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s from the Old Testament

The rest of us watched him for the 6 years in the New Testament

Have I mentioned 6 years of chances

If I haven’t he had 6 years of chances

Amen

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    True. Trubisky gets more zip on the ball medium range than Rudolph, but unfortunately it's often right into opposing players hands. I'll take accuracy over velocity anytime. Pickett didn't have velocity or accuracy, and he couldn't connect on a deep pass to save his life

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  16. pastorbob

Jan 2, 2012
    Re-reading the Mason posts it seems if you think he did not get a fair chance you are labelled a hater by those who have tomlin on a pedestal cause not getting better or using clock management or not adopting when what you are doing is not working is the q.b.s fault not the coaches .Guess Mason talked tomlin in to wasting a 1st round pick on pickett and trading for trubisky was all on mason . do not know why some are tomlin fans first no matter what he does or does not due .

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good for Mason. Pretty girl. Making money. Healthy. NFL QB that can mostly sit pretty and collect a nice paycheck.

Sounds like life is good for the guy

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope

you are not correct

but you sure gave your best at twisting the truth around

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He beat out Malik Willis. Why does that impress you?

Levis is the Titans' starter. They are committed to him. Rudolph is there to be an experienced backup. There are reasons why nobody wanted him last offseason and even after the strong finish to 2023, he still couldn't get much money in free agency.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. He is a very good backup. He proved that last season, but a handful of games against weak competition does not make him a star.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    IMG_3211.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See I agree that Mason wasn't given a fair shot, but not because it was Tomlin fault. Most teams don't spend 1st round picks, and spend FA money on players to have them behind players of that same position that are making way less money against the cap, and has not been spent high draft capital on. Unless they have to. This is not a Steelers thing.....this is a NFL thing in general. This is what is meant when players talk about other players slipping through the cracks. Again more people just judging the Steelers in a void, and not actually with what happens league wide in most parts.

• Like Like x 1
  23. pastorbob

Jan 2, 2012
    basically agree with std ,the steeler fan not the other std , but pushing for Kenny was tomlins fault . No Kenny then no reason not to give Mason a fair shot .Thus tomlins fault

• Like Like x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It could be an AI post. Or maybe it was always an AI post.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I thought Kenny was Colbert's. No?

• Agree Agree x 1