1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph wins #2 job in TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Aug 27, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It Appears our Gms only make the good picks, and Tomlin the bad picks, and apparently the same for free agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Agreed - Colbert and Kahn (who worked under Colbert) didn’t make any bad draft picks.

This thread is another good one. I can’t wait for @jeh1856 to go necro on this thread too. We might need to wait until the season is over to realize that Rudolph was never going to have a chance in Tennessee.

It is funny to read through this thread celebrating Rudolph as a backup QB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    no. tomlin and trubisky and wilson also fields . Seems tomlins finger prints are all over most of the bad decision's , good person bad coach . With the chief gone we can hope for a change in management and pray.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Bookmarked in my calendar :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    The Chief has been gone for 36 years

6. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    skittles-nathan-barnatt.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was. Obviously Tomlin was high on Kenny as well, think they were in lock step on the pick but Colbert wanted to set up the franchise with its next QB as his swan song.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

mine too

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Colbert crashed and burned heading out the door.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I’m sure that’s not the exit he wanted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Colbert was a great GM for a very long time and I hope he will be in the HOF....but at the end,he was not the same,it was obvious

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Some swan song. Colbert really lost his stuff the last few years as GM, but as you suggest, Tomlin sure had his say in the matter

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

watching Hard Knocks - with the Giants this year - got good insight into how closely the GM and HC interact. Seems healthy in NY, even though they are nothing special. I assume that is how most teams operate. HC has LOTS of say.

Tomlin and Colbert ran this thing into the ground.

the Master Plan here was non existent, if you will :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His tenure seems to be split into two phases. First half of his time as GM they drafted best player available and last half starter reaching to fill needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Tomlin was fully involved. Noone can say otherwise. Watch the videos of coachs call to KFP,the high praise the watching of Pitt games. Mikey is not innocent. I get the Tomlin nuthuggers, but come on. Apparently, T only gets credit for good things. Yall just as bad as us for saying it is time for him to move on. Nope GM and owners fault. Unreal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Some just think HC just stands on sidelines. Only gets credit for winning not losing. Hard to imagine people who watch football think that HC has no input. Its all the GM and Owner, what da googly goo does the HC do? How about coaching your players up? Quit blaming lack of quality players, HC has more say than you think in getting players

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure you are agreeing or disagreeing, lol. Tomlin is fully involved with every pick, hes been the coach for nearly 20 years. Him and Colbert have a very good relationship, I dont believe there has ever been a pick they both werent in agreement on but as far as final say, that would be Colbert. Actually final say is Rooney but from the video I saw on their draft process, Rooney is provided a list of players they are interested in and he removes anyone he doesn’t like, mostly for character issues. Then they build their board from that list.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I agree Tomlin was fully involved with KFP pick. Some on here think its GM and Owner. HC has a lot of input if not wtf is he a HC? Let the GM be on sideline

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    One thing is sure,if we look at the draft,the duo Colbert-Cowher was much better....In the 4 final draft of the steelers with Cowher,they draft in the first round,one of the best safety ever in 2003(trade up to have Polamalu btw!)a true franchise QB in 2004,the best TE in steelers history in 2005 and future super bowl MVP and super bowl hero in 2006!

20. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Colbert wasn’t the only one. Formerscribe crashed and burned with his devotion to KP8. He likes to pretend he wasn’t a KP8 fan now… but boy he was wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Let it go, man. Former is former, whether it's a scribe or a QB.

22. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    The pairing of KP with Canada - thats got to be one of the worst Steeler decisions in history. People here (some) and more on other boards, still like to place half the blame on Kenny, which i dont agree with. What is a rookie qb supposed to do when he cant audible, his receivers are being bunch on one side of the field, or the routes just plain bad, and his O line is having trouble protecting him? Putting KP in that situation may have done irreparable damage to his psyche. I know its not in my best interest as a steeler fan but in this case i hope he can salvage his career and still be a good Qb.

23. Bawb the Revelator

Bawb the Revelator Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IIRC Dan Rooney overruled Cowher who nearly bypassed Roethliberger. Dan had his faults but he was a football guy something that Art 2 is apparently not. The draft is a much-ado-about-very- crapshoot despite the combine "chazerai." Brady the GOAT was 199th selected in his year but he made Bellechik a GOAT until he up and won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay.

Prezactly, Steelvision. Tomlin is a brilliant self promotion genius and a "C plus Average" HC. h He's okay but he's not great.In 2023 the Steelers excuse was Canada as OC. KP8 and Canada were the excuses last season. I can hardly wait to hear Tomlin's excuses if they fall short again. Age 85 I'm tired of MT's glib crapola.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It goes without saying I think tomlin is a bad ,no really bad coach but he has one real positive imho he has Steeler Nation praying a lot .

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    By that logic, teams should never draft a quarterback high. Brady is an outlier. He should never be used as evidence of anything.

Look at the current quarterbacks in the NFL. Most of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL today were taken in the first round. That includes Mahomes, Jackson, Burrow, Stafford, Stroud, Love, Herbert, Tagovailoa, Allen, and Goff. Lawrence could still get there. Mayfield took a while, but he's very good. Hurts went in the second round. So did Levis, who the Titans think is their long-term guy.

Sure, you are going to find outliers like Purdy or even Prescott on occasion and there are going to be more busts than booms, but the price of admission for an elite quarterback is usually a first-round pick. Check out the Steelers' history, too. Bradshaw was No. 1 overall. Roethlisberger was 11th overall.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1