1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph stacks up well with his draft class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Oct 29, 2019.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Rudolph stacks up well with his draft class for their first 4 starts. The only one who is dominating him is the undrafted guy, Kyle Allen!!! Lamar Jackson has created quite a challenge for future starts. But after 4 starts the kid looks very good.
    upload_2019-10-29_19-58-49.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'll take Rudolph long term over any of them. Mayfield is on pace for over 30 interceptions this year, Darnold is seeing ghosts, Josh Allen has no touch on his passes, Rosen was so bad he was benched for Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jackson will be out of the league in a few years because his style of play isn't sustainable and who knows about the future of Kyle Allen.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I do love stats. Take this for what it's worth:

Over the course of Ben's career he has finished a season just five times with a passer rating higher than what Mason currently posts (97.5).

Give the kid a shot. People on here calling for Duck to come in during the first quarter was ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I agree. I don't get some people on this forum writing off Rudolph already. He's mostly played well and is actually playing better than Ben was playing with the tools we have on offense before he got hurt. Granted both are small sample sizes. You have to assume Rudolph will only get better with more experience. He has some things to clean up with mechanics but don't most young players? He seems to have the tools to succeed.

I'm thankful Duck was able to play well enough to get the win but his performance was not even at Rudolph's level let alone clearly above it. Most of his passes were short and the defense and running game had to be in top form to take the pressure off Duck.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    It is way too early to assess Mason's performances. Give the man some games
    Hey LoneGranger.

I think that Mason is doing an "adequate" job up to this point. Come on everyone. He is a second-year player with only four starts under his belt. He was a collegiate star and even though that does not mean much to some it is a starting point that should be acknowledged. I personally think that he is going to be ok. He did just fine last night once he settled down. I really was not sure how he would react when confronted with adversity (14 point deficit) but he came through big for us. I do not want to hear about "It was the Dolphins". To me they came to play. They feel the pressure each week and I am pretty sure that they do not want to go winless.

One must also consider the supporting cast that Mason has been given. No AB, No LB. No Great "D". Ben had far more to work with his first few years plus a stellar "D". The "O" skilled players that Mason has do not have that much more playing experience than himself. On top of that he is the QUARTERBACK. The biggest pressure position on the team. He is the "Hub" of the team. Typically, as the QB goes the team goes. Considering all of that, I think Mason is progressing along well. STEELWINDS

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kid settled down and manned up... Like his moxie

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Kid showed some me guts last night and bounced back well from some mistakes...I like his moxy for a youngster...let’s give him some credit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    After the poor start he was fine. I'll take 7 yards an attempt and a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio from my starter making his 4th start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I was impressed with his ability to weather the storm of mistakes, crowd booing, and overall getting mentally back into game speed mode after 3 weeks off. The keys to his success are OL blocking/ no stupid holding penalties, and receiver separation. WR's showed they can be combat catchers if need be as they were helping MR out with some off throws. Tough kid that might just make a name for himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Don't worry about Mason. We knew that the Steelers were going to spot miami 2 TDs before they started playing. It's what the steelers do playing down to the competition. The standard is the standard and Mason is just following the steelers way.

11. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016

This...give MR a chance...I was REAL impressed that he withstood the 14 point deficit AND the boos from the hometown fans. Overcame both in impressive fashion. The record setting start that Ben had as a rookie was the EXCEPTION, and we’ve become spoiled by his success. I have been impressed to see MR stand tall in the face of a pass rush in a couple games now. For me, I’m gonna let him have his growing pains...if that means playoffs I’ll be happy as a clam, but if it means 6 wins and he continues to show growth, I’ll be happy for him. It’s a TEAM sport, and injuries have been crippling this year.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mason never had me worried at all within any point since he was drafted. All he did from his preseason debut in 2018 until now was rapidly improve. Much of that progress is beginning to manifest itself this year.

As I said though and, I will say again, he still has some ways to go. That said, fellow brothers and sisters, prepare for one bumpy ride as this young gun will have some growing pains but will also have some bright spots the same. An inconsistent offense is to be expected at this point from here on out.

To that end, this defense will have to carry this team; the running game doubly so and no less. Starts with both of those. Sustain drives, generate points for the team and stop the other team from putting up points from their end by any means necessary within the rules of the game.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is going to be a bumpy ride folks.
    Mason will need help from all that are involved (IE)
    Good running game
    OL play
    WR's being able to separate and make plays
    OC that will call plays that will help him be successful
    Better understanding of how to read defenses.
    Folks he will need all of the above to succeed, he does not
    have the natural God given ability of say Aaron Rogers.

14. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I like his attitude towards being booed. Very realistic!

"Rudolph said getting booed was a reminder that Steelers fans have high expectations, as they should."

“I would’ve booed that performance too. We were coming out slow. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers. There’s a standard here,” Rudolph said, via Brooke Pryor of ESPN.

"That fourth drive, which started with loud boos, ended with a field goal. The rest of the game, the Steelers dominated."

"Rudolph still has a long way to go before he can convince anyone that he’s the heir apparent to Ben Roethlisberger, but he ended up getting on track on Monday night, and it’s to his credit that he accepts that his play early in the game wasn’t up to Steelers standards."

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think it's a good sign that Rudolph has 3.5 times more TDs than INTs after 4 games. Plus, passer rating is better than most of his draft class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, he got away with a lot because the Dolphins are terrible. The touchdown pass to Smith-Schuster, for example, was underthrown and the defender had his hands on it. Smith-Schuster made a great play, stealing the ball from the defender, to bail Rudolph out.