1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph is QB1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TXSteelerFan69, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I am no football great mind...... But I could see the o line difference between each of the 3 QBs. I also thought to myself that it is probably a hell of a lot easier for an o lineman to defend a QB who is not running all over the field on almost every play. I imagine that they try to keep track of their QB partially based on where the pass rush is trying to go. Must be really hard to do that when the rush is trying to run you over and suddenly takes off at a 30 degree angle leaving your more than ample ass to try and catch up to someone much faster than you.....all because happy feet have taken control of your QB

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    If he has a good game vs the Ravens, he will have earned an increase in pay. He won't have earned a record contract from that, but he will have definitely earned a good bump above league minimum, which is where he is at now.......imo

And Mike Tomlin better thank him for making it 17 years in a row......lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But do you really think the Steelers gave him every opportunity to succeed including the proper coaching to aid in his growth and development as an NFL quarterback? I don’t have any confidence in the offensive coaches or Mike Tomlin to evaluate and develop a young quarterback and haven’t for quite some time. They had Ben, they didn’t have to be concerned about that. I think they botched it with Mason and they’re on their way to botching it with Kenny. I just hope we make the correct OC hire after the season and that it’s not left up to Tomlin to make another “comfort” hire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Mitch DOES suck, he ALWAYS sucked - that Colbert and Tomlin could not see this before they ever signed him is damning, in and of itself. They also did not see the talent in Mason (most of us as fans missed it too, but we are FANS, not FO persons earning MILLIONS to get it right). Hopefully Tomlin sees STRAIGHT now and give Rudolph the PROPER evaluation.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Funny, but I remember people being critical of Pickett for his strong game against the Bengals because he didn't throw a touchdown pass. Never mind that he did, but Johnson dropped it late and the officials blew the call, but even going by the official numbers, those same people think Rudolph set the world on fire when he didn't throw a single touchdown Saturday.

Don't get me wrong. I thought he played very well Saturday. There were a few minor things he could have done better. A few passes sailed and his receivers bailed him out by making tough catches, including the one to a wide-open Johnson, but that's nitpicking. The guy played well and the offense is clicking with him. He should start against the Ravens, and most likely in the playoffs if they get there. That doesn't mean he is a long-term answer, but he is the guy right now.

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    "Players are anointed starters?!"
    Wow.
    I think that is the Picasso version.

Sure, players are signed with the expected intention of starting.
    Even some are drafted with the expectations of starting.
    Porter, Jones and Pickett weren't starters day 1.

*I don't always agree with the way the Steelers onboard some rookies. Jones should have been day 1 starter.. he earned it during the preseason.

The way some of these stories are evolving, I'm having to go back and rewatch some of the games as the actual history seems to have grown legs a revised itself. lol.
    I was getting images of Kenny doing a poor Fran Tarkenton impression, only with a wide-open pocket.
    Even more crazy is that a failed backup has become a hero. (*I do note: the backup is always the favorite anyway. I remember some folks proclaiming Gilliam > Bradshaw)

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is my concern, too. Third-stringers get less attention from the coaching staff and that might have been the best thing for Rudolph. Pickett regressed with Canada and Sullivan. So did Trubisky, though his mechanics were always a problem. My biggest concern after these last two games is that they will use that as an excuse to keep the current offensive coaching staff, which would be a huge mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Pickett is NOT accurate - not from what I have watched in 2 yrs, NFL. Ask the players, they too infer this in their discussions. He has sucked so far, I am far from sold. He can't even throw a 7 yard out route, consistently. Certainly cannot throw the deep ball with consistency, has missed dozens of them in 2 years. Mason has hit 6 or 7 in 2 games. Gives the WR a chance to make a play....

Let him sit for 5 yrs, may HE too will come around, like Mason.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky didn't always suck, but the revisionist history is amusing.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

He did, he always fell apart in the 4th Q, I watched the Bears for years, good friend lives in CHI, followed him

"TO Machine" is his Nickname

Revisionist History Part 2

pls don't try to rebuild his lousy legacy

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph completed one deep ball against the Bengals. The first touchdown was not a deep pass. It was an intermediate throw over the middle. Pickens did the work after the catch. Don't get me wrong. It was a damn good throw to hit him in stride and allow that, but it wasn't a deep ball. Rudolph threw poorly on his other deep attempts against the Bengals. The one before the half was short and too far to the outside, but Pickens bailed him out with a spectacular catch.

He threw two decent passes down the field Saturday. The one to Pickens was undethrown, but that was on Moore not giving him room to step into it. He nearly overthrew a wide-open Johnson, but the receiver made a nice grab.

Don't get me wrong. Rudolph has been very good and it is helping the entire offense, but let's be honest about what we are seeing, too.

Also, by all means provide links to quotes from players saying Pickett is not accurate. It may be true, but I haven't seen it.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at what he did in his Pro Bowl season, including driving the Bears for what should have been the game-winning field goal in the final moments. Bears fans were bitter that he never lived up to his draft position, especially because they took him ahead of Mahomes, and that colored their perceptions of him even when he was good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    He was treated fairly and given more than a fair shot

He was never promised anything

• Like Like x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

kordell had a pro-bowl season too, but no one will ever remember him as being a good QB.

Mitch may never throw another pass in the NFL again, let that sink in. he is just awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you are moving the goalposts. You wrote that he always sucked, which simply isn't true. It also wouldn't be true of Stewart. Stewart was bad more than he was good, but he did have a couple of good seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Wonder what was said after that Browns game (fight with Garret) and Rudolph finished with 221 passing yards, a touchdown, and four interceptions as the Steelers lost 21–7.. Tomlin stuck with him and against the Bengals (winless) Rudolph struggled again, throwing for 85 yards and an interception before being benched for a Duck.

He has the ability to play on both ends of the spectrum:
    Bad - See above.
    Good - His current rating of 115.

If I am Tomlin, sure, I do want to see what he can do in a pressure situation.
    If not signing him was a mistake, I don't want to do it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Tomlin lost any chance of going back to Pickett, the time to do that was the Seattle game. Now, even if they make the playoffs he has to ride or die with Rudolph.

There is the possibility he could pull Rudolph if he has a bad first half. I think that’s the only way Pickett gets back on the filed this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Oh, I am definitely on-board with calling Mason's number for the season finale.
    This game is a must win (I know they've talked about still getting there with a loss, but no one wants to back into the playoffs.) so there is no room to allow Mason, say, throw 3 picks.
    But I think Mason will do his job. This is a good learning experience for Kenny.

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Time on the bench has helped many a QB

20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    One thing that seems to have really helped the run game as well is Mason not always going to shotgun. His taking the snap under center helps the run game giving our RBs and advantage. Either Tomlin or Mason have been listening to Coach Cowher's comments.

• Like Like x 1
  21. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I've stated in a previous post that I remember reading last year after Pickett was drafted and bumped to QB2 there was a concern of Mason causing a QB controversy which could have hurt Kenny's ego and development. Which was one reason Mason was dropped to QB3. Mitch and Kenny were considered to be similar in style which is why it was more likely they would be QB1 and QB2. Not a plug and play offense but helps in terms of gameplan and playbook consistency. I tried to find that article, but I have been unable to do so. However, it appears to be correct because here we are in the midst of a QB controversy.

22. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    None of the three have made us forget about Ben. One silver lining I see for Mason having Mitch come in last year and be the starter is the fact that whoever the starter was going to be in that first season following Ben was going to be in a hard spot. I think Mason would have played better than Mitch to start last season, but he would have been ridiculed unless he threw for 350+ yards and 3-4 TDs. Mitch absolutely played looking over his shoulder at Pickett until he finally was pulled. As many others have stated, Kenny's development has been slow to non-existent this year. Now that Mason has finally been given his opportunity and taking full advantage, we may not have forgotten about Ben, but we want to know why he wasn't given his fair shot over Mitch or Kenny. Let's be honest, no one ever thought Kenny was coming in this year to win a SB. We were expecting growing pains, but unfortunately experienced the pains without any growth.

23. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    You have that right. They say for a while in NE, fans would still argue Bledsoe was better than Brady even after the first two Super Bowls.

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes it has

• Like Like x 1
  25. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Every playoff win he gets ups the price

• Winner Winner x 1