1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph is QB1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TXSteelerFan69, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    :facepalm:
    The red flag challenge has been initiated…upon further review you are correct.. I hereby lose a life timeout:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I like that song

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    A good game in Baltimore he will get noticed but you are correct that it won't be an earth shattering contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Barbers are like truck drivers they know it all

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I've taken it a step further. Feb. 2024 Mason Rudolph wins his 7th straight game;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If that turns out to be true, he should be done in Pittsburgh. Just like I was hard on Pickens who I still think will be problem down the road the moment the seas get rough again, KP putting himself in front of the team cannot happen. Can't repeat past mistakes they made with Ben, AB, etc. It never turns out well!! Gotta have quality guys who, above all else, put the team first.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Agree, and while I’m pleased with the recent performance, I’m not ready to crown Mason the next franchise QB. I’d like to see them compete for the job next year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Giving a six-year veteran who nobody wanted after year five a big contract based on three games would be stupid. Sure, it is possible the stupid gamble pays off, but very unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was the best quarterback the first week or two of camp, when he was in his fifth year with the team and the other two guys were new. Though the margins were small, he was the worst of the three in preseason games.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He did. He was on the roster for four years before that happened and didn't show enough for the team to believe he could be a starter. That's on him, not them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    That is incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That pass was 34 yards, not 50. Facts matter.

It is two games in which he threw two touchdown passes. By your logic, you would have given Jake Browning $40 million a year a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it isn't. He was there four years. He had one extended chance in the regular season. He was benched late in that season for poor play so they could go back to Duck Hodges. He played poorly in his one meaningful start since then, the tie against the Lions. He had training camps, preseason games, and practices to show them something. He showed so little that they re-signed Haskins, signed Trubisky, and drafted Pickett rather than have to rely on him. This is a guy they once liked, a guy they drafted to possibly be Roethlisberger's replacement. Then when they let him go as a free agent, no team in the league wanted him as even a No. 2. He has certainly proven them wrong the last two weeks, but even that has to be taken with a grain of salt given the poor quality of the opposing defenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Thrown from our 35 landed on their 25, 40 yards in the air. Thank you, I stand corrected.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How dare you respond with logic. Two games is enough for the fanboys to fall in love.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The question is if that was happy feet or the Steelers coaching the aggressiveness out of Pickett. I think it was the latter. He has made a few great throws under pressure as a pro and he did it in college, but he seemed to lose his nerve. Part of that was lousy pass protection, but I think it was also the conservative approach that Tomlin has abandoned later this season. He knows he can't just let the defense keep ti close and win it at the end any more with the defense in shambles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    At some point, you have to move on from a guy. They did. I thought they were right to do so. The last two games make it seem like they and I were wrong, but I'm still not sure if he is more than a backup who enjoyed playing against two terrible defenses. As long as he is a Steeler, I hope he is more than that. I'd rather be wrong and have Rudolph turn into a franchise quarterback, but I'm amazed that anybody is so easily sold.

What continues to crack me up is the people who insist Pickett is done after less than two seasons, but the Steelers were stupid to give up on Rudolph after four. So much for logic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    All that is wrong and incorrect. Nobody has ever earned a starting a job. Players get hired and appointed starters, and get promoted and demoted.
    Mason Rudolph was never appointed or hired to be a starter, never. He was not even demoted for Duck Hodges because he was already a bench player, he was never a starter.

Similarly, Kenny did not earn anything, he was appointed a starter. That is how it goes in the NFL. Players are hired to start.
    Now, it is time to go back and right the wrongs because the Steelers drafted Mason and they needed to appoint him the starter, and give him his window, and they did not do that, and now they need to do just that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Facts are not your friends. Rudolph had been there four years before the Steelers decided to do everything in their power to make sure they didn't have to start him in the 2022 offseason. That was correct, so your primary assertion is already wrong.

Players earn starting roles all the time. Jaylen Warren was supposed to be a backup. He earned his way into the starting lineup.

Right wrongs? LOL The Steelers didn't wrong Rudolph. Teams don't owe players anything. If they don't think a guy is good enough to start, he sits. If they don't think he's good enough to play at all, he's gone. That's how it goes. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Same but the over the top accolades is getting nauseous. You’d think the guy has had back to back 400 yard 4 TD games.

• Like Like x 1
  21. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    That is incorrect and wrong. Players are appointed by the decision makers and nobody has ever earned a starting position in the history of NFL. And that appointment most of the time comes at the negotiating table but it can be as arbitrary and capricious as I like the guy.
    Same goes for JPJ and Najee and Warren and everyone in the NFL.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Logic eludes many Steelers fans. I've noticed a pattern in behavior.

23. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I think Rudolph being praised so much is because Trub and his clone, Pickett, are just crap.

Pickett has had 24 games and has shown he's junk. Pickett has the worst touchdowns per passing attempts ratio in NFL history for any quarterback with 500 or more throws: 1.82%. Thirteen TDs in 713 passes. That is worst than all other QBs in NFL history! Let that sink in.

Then Rudolph comes in and that same offense suddenly puts up 30+ points two games in a row, and Rudolph is averaging an amazing 10+ yards per attempt (almost doubling Trub and his clone)... hard to not attribute goodness to Rudolph and suckness to Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

You are throwing out all these stats, yet you refer to Pickett as Trubisky's clone. Their numbers and their records as starters aren't close, and if you couldn't see the difference between when Pickett started compared to when Trubisky started, it discredits everything you are trying to say about Pickett versus anyone else.

Pickett is 14-10 as a Steelers starter and is in his 2nd year in the NFL

Trubisky is 2-5 as a Steelers starter and a 7-year NFL veteran.

They're not even in the same stratosphere and Trubisky is the veteran player. You couldn't be more wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    They both have no pocket presence, can't hit deep throws, can't go through progressions, scramble too early/often and can't score points.

Having said that, I admit Trub 2.0 is better than Trub 1.0. They improved the clone somewhat during the replication process.

Having said that and that, if it makes everyone feel better, I'll stop calling Pickett a better version of Trub, so we can focus on how crappy Pickett is on his own merit.