1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph is QB1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TXSteelerFan69, Dec 31, 2023.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

The truth is that the coaching staff, and most of us for that matter, had totally given up on Mason.. When Mitch was brought in and Pickett was drafted, there was never a true competition.... Mitch was going to start and Pickett was going to be the backup until he was ready..... During the faux competition Tomlin was questioned about Mason's lack of work with the 1's, and I clearly remember Tomlin saying "we already know what we have in Mason"...... that's basic coach speak for "we have no intention of him ever seeing the field"..... We, as fans (knowledgeable or otherwise) are able to do that..... There is no excuse for coaches to carry that attitude.....
    I, for one, am enjoying my new years crow (seasoned to perfection)

• Like Like x 3
  2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'll root for nearly anyone the steelers trot out there, but it doesn't mean my eyes don't see what they see. My eyes see a qb who likes to leave the pocket early, somehow gets hurt often like you said, has 1 2 td game in 24 starts. Covid was the best thing that ever happened to mediocre Ken's career. Without it he'd be the backup he's destined to be.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think when Jussie Garrett bashed him over the head with a false accusation of racism that hurt him even more. There has NEVER been any indication of that with Mason and his black coach and black teammates came to his defense. Of course, Garrett went on the interview circuit and doubled down on his pathetic, race baiting lie. Literally cannot stand the sight of that guy and would love to see him snap his ACL in the last game and be out in the post season. That would be poetic justice in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jrompola

Jul 7, 2015
    Myles smollet has a nice ring to it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You are correct, the coaching staff had totally given up on Mason and at this point, I’ve about given up on this coaching staff’s abilities to properly evaluate players.

6. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I think it's you that is emotional. I said he showed potential before he got hurt and his play . I said he was the best QB on the team and said it before his game in Cincinnati. I put up his statistics before he got hurt and his quarter back rating averaged over a 100, which is considered good (all facts). I have been proven right and I think it was you who had mentioned that such thinking was idiocy. Now that you have been proven wrong, you keep doubling on your idiocy of proclaiming that Pickett should start against Ravens. Pickett led offense only scored 16 points with three field goal and one run by Najee against Cinci and you are claiming that was an excellent game that overshadows his less than average performance before. There is no way Pickett wins in Seattle. He is career back up at best. I have laid out very logically why offense under Pickett will be anemic. I will lay it out for you again. Pickett doesn't have an accurate deep ball. He hasn't showed it in 24 starts. The offense doesn't get yards in chunks. He is easier for defenses to defend as they can cheat and stop the run game and short to intermediate passes as they don't have to worry about deep ball a calculated risk which normally has paid off. Additionally, the offenses have to get 6-7 first downs in a row to score which is hard to do. In Tomlin speak, if 'offense gets yards inchunks, it bypasses a lot of execution...whatever that means. It's no wonder our scoring offense was in the bottom 3 or 4 in the league with him (Pickett) at qb. As for deep ball, some qb's have it and some cannot get it, similar to three point shooter in basketball. My opinion is that it's partly practice and partly inborn with good players having superior spatial imagery portion in their brain. Mason has it and has always had it. In college he made James Washington a good receiver (Washington is out of football now). Now Pickens is reaping the rewards. Pickens will have a meltdown if Pickett is starting and probably justifiably..but that is neither here. The team chemistry is much better with Mason at QB as defense isn't as stressed and offense is having fun again. It's not as if Pickett lost his job, it's that Mason came and took it, just like Brady did with Bledsoe.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Mitch sucks, he was a mistake from the beginning. He’s never played one game where we were like, yeah that’s my QB.

Mitch, held KP and Mason back.

Mason’s past was an apple cart that was upset by the Ravens with a concussion and Myles Garrett (future DPOY).

If I put my black and gold glasses on, I want both Mason and Kenny to do well.

The truth is, Kenny played as well against the Bengals as Mitch did against the Seahawks. Had Kenny not been injured against the Cardinals, there’s a chance he does something. Probably falls on the ball instead of giving it away like Mitch. He has 7 wins as a starter this year. Mason is not light years ahead of him, but does throw a nicer long ball. Probably because he has bigger hands. He can also read a zone defense, probably because of his wonder-lick score.

We haven’t seen Mason in an adverse situation yet. All those proclaiming him to be the next Joe Montana, just wait.

Having said that, Mason has the hot hand and the team believes in him. So ride him to the Lombardi this year, or one more game-however long the season lasts.

If there’s a franchise QB available in the draft, take him. If not, get a center. Then work on the middle of the defense.

Let there be a competition next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    If he plays well against the Ravens and the Steelers find their way into a playoff spot. Should the Steelers slip documents in front of him? I'm thinking yes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Can't go through all the posts. BUT.

Mason is definitely someone they need to think about real hard.
    I cannot and should anoint him yet as 'The Franchise' or even 'QB1'
    I do think he starts next week against the Ravens and from there, we'll see.

Training Camp should be open competition.
    Mason has earned the right to play here next season if he chooses.
    Mitch has earned the right to be cut.

With a new OC and a host of new players, I would say whoever wins the competition starts the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That perhaps was a word misused, but this is a guy who no other of the 31 teams showed interest in. I do not know or have stats of how many back ups get starts in a year, let alone 3rd and even 4th guys for a team, but this year might be a record. Some of these guys played well, others for a game or two, others were what you might expect. So yes it is not hyperbole, and I would think after the dust of this season settles MR will get some attention and good for him, no problem if this team can make some kind of deal, can see MR saying enough already if a better opportunity comes his way.

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny played well against the Bengals, it was far and away his best game this year. But the offense still only scored 16 points. Not sure why that is. Maybe the threat of the deep ball loosens the D up a little but whatever it is, the offense seems to flow better with Mason behind center. Back to back 30+ point games seem to confirm that. In today’s NFL, it’s not about moral victories, it’s about scoring points.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Who knew, the CB whisper was also a QB whisper. Tomlin should get as much blame as the GM. Tomlin wanted a mobile QB, so Colbert got him two.

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Thats an interesting observation. He had a cannon, when Jefferson street Joe got the start I recall Curt Gowdy saying he talked to TB who was very confused, "I have always been the starter", for reasons to lengthy and really complicated to go into, TB eventually got the job back. In one of the ESPN vids Joe Green said they knew TB was the guy, but things just had to work out (my words), so we will see where MR ends up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I like Juicy Garrett!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019

What pedigree does Dobbs have? He was average at TN. Feel like I'm fighting for Mason lately, but fact is people throw out some ridiculous comparisons. Seriously? Dobbs?

My opinion (and a lot of snowflakes wont like it) is Mason was pigeon-holed because of a claimed racial slur. Do you see some of the talent out there starting? OMG, down right horrible. The QB that came in garbage time for Love last night threw this lollipop twenty-five yarder 'bomb'. How do you get into the NFL with no arm?

Think someone like Bill B would be interested in a poised QB?

Interesting off-season. I think the Steelers lose him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t disagree with that, but I think the whole Rudolph thing goes deeper than that. I think Tomlin and the Steelers organization has botched Mason Rudolph’s career trajectory and it started with Ben. In reality, Mason was probably drafted into one of the worst situations he could’ve been drafted into. He had a legendary QB in Ben who was pissed that the Steelers drafted him, an OC in Fichtner who was at Ben’s beck and call and a head coach who knows nothing about quarterback development and effective offensive strategy that plays to the strengths of a particular play caller. He went through a lot of turmoil, played well at times and made mistakes at times as young quarterbacks do, and then when it was time to take the reins the Steelers bring in Mitch as a free agent and draft Kenny and Mason became an afterthought. Tomlin and company have screwed up Mason’s career and if they don’t make significant offensive coaching changes in the off-season they’ll do the same to Kenny.

17. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    You let Mitch walk so our opponents feel threatened.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    t does go deeper, and I always felt a chagrin when I saw posts (here and other places) "he was given many chances". Realistically no, 2nd year guy who had never taken a snap in regular season, won the BU job in preseason, then had to become the starter when Ben went down for the season, and that's a part of the BU's job, but the line was aging and sucked, the running game was incompetent, MR was essentially a rookie, still had a winning record. What you stated rings very true, they had money tied up in Ben, had to bring him back because of history and blah blah, but honestly should have pulled the plug and did the Hines, Troy thing, time to get on with your next job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I’ve got a nagging feeling we lose him too and I think Belicheat would have an interest. There was some rumor this past off-season that he was interested in Rudolph.

Imagine this scenario. Kenny goes into next season as the starter and struggles and Mason is starting for the Pats and playing well. Late in a game four after the Steelers have averaged 18.3 yards per game they’re losing to the Browns 17 to 9 and have just gone three and out in the mid-4th quarter. All of a sudden you hear it from one section and the chant slowly expands throughout the stadium…MA-SON RU-DOLPH, MA-SON RU-DOLPH…! Shew, hope that never plays out but if Mason goes somewhere else and plays well and Kenny continues to struggle to take the next step, it won’t be pretty.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    But but he only played 24 games, do i think mason is the answer? Right now he is… KFP has showed me nothing, he has actually regressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Where did I compare him to Dobbs?? I just stated what happened to him when he was traded to Minnesota, nothing was said about pedigree, just what happened to him.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So my posting that I think Pickett won’t lose his job prompts a nutsack carrying reply and I’m the emotional one? I also saw you call another board member and idiot for a simple question that you said he “deserved”and he didn’t remotely deserve it. I’m starting to see why you may feel that way, you are easily triggered. Calm down.

Provide proof of anything I have been “proven wrong” on because I don’t think you have the right board member. You also haven’t been prove right about anything. What, because after 2 games Rudolph is automatically the best QB on the team, you’re funny.

I really detest talking to people like you because there is so much disinformation in this post. Again show me where I said Pickett had an excellent game against Cincy? I said he had his best game as a pro and thats a fact. Did that the first game without Canada and you dont think the points would have come? Rudolph had the benefit of coming in 4 weeks removed from Canada. Just look at the routes Pickens was running under Canada and what he is running now.

Pickett is accurate, that was one of his good traits coming out of college and tape shows he can go vertical.

You want to talk about easy to defend, that would be Rudolph and why he was banished to the bench in the first place and why no team was interested in him in the offseason. You absolutely must have a short game because it’s too easy to take away the over the top stuff. The only thing he could do was throw deep, very easy for defenses to defend. These past two games it appears he has made improvements on the short and intermediate throws. Time will tell if he can do that consistently. If he gets time, I still don’t think Pickett is losing his job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. jrompola

Jul 7, 2015
    Just as the packers did. Shame we didn't

24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    They better draft or get a veteran qb than for competition, coz all 3 we got couldnt push an old lady across the street. Saying that Mason has looked the best of the 3 by light years!

25. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Blast, i hope you are correct. Steelers need to have stiff competition in qb room, KFP has a lot of bad traits. Happy feet, spinning like a ballerina, always moving to his left. Hopefully they can be fixed.
    KFP at this point is not a pocket passer. He is playing scared. Like i said need a stiff qb competition with a quality OC. This qb debacle is far from over. Happy New Year