1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RPO Steelers Mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by RPO IZSB, Apr 25, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Round Pick Player Position School
    1 30 Takkarist McKinley EDGE UCLA
    Alternate A Obi Melifonwu S UCONN
    Alternate B Deshone Kizer QB Notre Dame

I've been locked in on McKinley and Melifonwu for awhile now. For me it's simple. The late first round gives us two paths. One is the "play it safe" path, and would produce a starter. That starter could range from the mediocre Ziggy Hood, to the impact Cameron Heyward. The other path is the "go big" path. It's got a larger bust factor element, but has the potential to be a franchise changing pick. I say we go big.

With McKinley the narrative is simple... if Dupree continues his ascension, and McKinley heads down the same path... in a year or 2 we could have the dominant edge pass rush that we've lacked for the better part of the last 10 years.

Obi likewise could drastically change the format of our sub package Nickel and Dime. He would be a weapon in the secondary unlike anything we've had outside of Troy's prime years.

And if those 2 are gone... Deshone Kizer. Sits and develops for a year or 2... and we don't miss a beat when Ben retires.

Obviously, the direction we go in the 1st round will impact where we go in the 2nd. Given we have very big needs at edge and nickel back.

2 62 Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan
    Alternate A Marcus Williams S Utah
    Alternate B Derek Rivers EDGE Youngstown

IMO Jourdan Lewis may be the most impactful CB in the draft. We rarely draft the "character issue" types, and a domestic violence charge is worse than a drug charge in the NFL. But if we can get past that, he can be a completely dominant slot corner... which is where our greatest need is in the secondary.

Marcus Williams probably doesn't fall this far, but if he did... we'd get a steal. A true Single High ball hawk. He would be ready to replace Mitchell within a year, and his range would allow Sean Davis to play in the box and slot more (where he belongs).

If we don't get Tak in the 1st, we have to get an edge rusher in the 2nd. Rivers isn't the most developed player available here. But his athletics are similar to what we've looked for in Dupree.

3 94 Desmond King S Iowa
    Alternate A Rasul Doughlas CB WVU
    Alternate B Davis Webb QB Cal

King would be a great fit in a hybrid role, a guy who can come down in the box, cover the slot, but also play Cover 2 as a safety. Really good fit for our system, but possibly too similar to Sean Davis in terms of role.

Douglas hasn't gotten the coverage he deserves. While a boundary corner isn't as critical a need going in to the season, Rasul long term upside as a #1/#2 boundary corner is too good to pass up at this stage of the draft.

Davis Webb is simply underrated. He's got the football IQ to be a pros pro. Maybe not the franchise QB long term, but could definitely bridge the gap at a minimum.

3 105 Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M
    Alternate A Shaquil Griffin CB Central Florida
    Alternate B Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma St

I don't see WR as a need in this draft, but Josh Reynolds is so severely underrated that I would not be able to pass up this pick. If we get an Edge Rusher and a DB who can impact the slot in the first 3 picks, then we have the luxury here. Josh Reynolds is a luxury pick

If we did not get a player to impact the slot, then we definitely need to go with Griffin. He's got all the measurables, along with a few warts. He's not a day 1 starter, but with no visible answer in the slot anywhere else, he'd likely be the long term solution.

I'm tired of getting stuffed around the goaline. Perine would change that.

4 135 Josh Dobbs QB Tennessee
    Alternate A Jake Butt TE Michigan
    Alternate B Carrol Phillips EDGE Indiana

Ok, I'm on board. Dobbs athletics and deep ball skills are enough for me to buy in. Even if we have to go a round earlier to get him. There's a huge drop off in QB talent in this draft. If we have to get a guy in the 3rd, so be it.

Butt would be a good pick here, but I think we can get a comparable TE later (Sprinkle)

Phillips was impressive at the Senior Bowl. He showed versatility, was able to play off the line, stand up, rush the passer, play run. He might never be more than a rotational player, but good depth is good depth. I'd reach for DBs over Phillips if we didn't get the job done with previous picks.

5 173 Elijah Qualls DL Washington
    Alternate A Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    Alternate B Wayne Gallman RB Clemson

This is probably too late for Qualls. If we took him a round or 2 earlier I wouldn't complain. Unique athletics for an interior DL. More of a playmaker than a stuff.

Myrick can run, last chance at slot corner option in this draft.

I'm soooooooooo tired of getting stuffed around the goaline. If we don't land Perine, Gallman is my 2nd choice for a power back role.

6 213 Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas
    Alternate A Lorenzo Jerome S SFU
    Alternate B Jordan Leggett TE Clemson

Sprinkle is the TE we should draft, he's a ++ blocker who is experienced in both zone and inline blocking. He works as a play action safety blanket, and a red zone threat. He's the ideal #2 TE for our scheme.

7 248 Jahad Thomas RB Temple
    Alternate A Patrick Gamble DL Georgia Tech
    Alternate B Pita Taumoupeno EDGE Utah

I like Thomas as a #3/4 RB, a returner, and change of pace back. He's a passing game asset who has a bit of explosion.

2. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    A well-respected local source says he was told at the Combine they wouldn't select an injured player. So, Takk is most likely out. Derek Rivers may be the first selection, with the only drawback being he didn't play at an FCS school.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Therefore he won't be our first round pick. I honestly think Takk, Derek, Tim Williams, and Phillips, who all had visits, are looked at as second round targets. Humphrey, J Jones, Obi, and Baker look more like their first round targets. Oh yeah, Mahommes and Kizer.

4. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    I think Takk is off the board unless Takk's coach's brother, the Steelers' orthopedic surgeon, provides an optimistic view of Takk's health and recovery. I believe Tim Williams was brought in for comparative purposes only. Derek Rivers will not be available at Pick 62, hence his consideration at #30. Carroll Phillips is a 4th rounder all the way. I believe the odds of drafting a QB before the third round are very, very low. Besides, there is going to be an illogical and hysterical run on QBs that will result in up to four of them being selected in the first, all way above where they should be.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I can't see Rivers being in play at #30, maybe #62 if we go with a non-edge guy in the 1st round. He may have good measureables, but his film raises a lot of questions. He needs work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Red Flags-

Takk- Shoulder
    Williams- Pot
    Rivers- Small School

All second round material. One will fall to us.

7. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    All of them need work. There isn't one draft prospect that has demonstrated all three skills the Steelers require of their OLBs. As Kevin Colbert himself said at the Combine, " . . . 85-90 percent of them are the defensive ends that we’re going to have to project up. So again, as we go through this, we’ll probably lose three, four, or five guys who we’ll just say are probably 4-3 defensive ends instead of 3-4 linebackers."

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, the position change isn't what I talking about. It's about the Underwhelming tape. All 5 games on draft breakdown are very underwhelming other than a couple of plays per game.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Personally I do not see TJ Watt, Kevin King or even Obi Melifonwu being at 30 (if Obi or Kevin still is I will be surprised).

Pass rushing help is needed for sure. TJ Watt gives you that within time in the season. I am also not counting out ILB or CB now but please oh please..

Stay away from Zach Cunningham. 4-3 Will only and he better be untouched.

10. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    I don't think the Steelers agree, since they met with Derek Rivers at the Senior Bowl, the Combine, at his Pro Day, and brought him in for a visit.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Interest does not necessarily equate to 1st round interest. Neither Colbert nor Tomlin attended his Pro Day, which has been a prerequisite for every 1st round pick dating back to Ziggy Hood. There's clearly interest, but I think it's 2nd - 3rd round interest. Just a few data points (understanding that they don't necessarily relate to the Steelers' interest): Gil Brandt has Rivers at #129 overall. CBS/NFL Draft Scout has him at #85. Other sites generally peg him between 10-15 at his position, behind guys like Williams, Ryan Anderson and Carroll Phillips. Again, I understand that they are not NFL GMs, but all of the smoke surrounding Rivers points to Day 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Maybe not first round interest, but the point I was making is, many of the top rated Edge rushers do not meet Kevin Colbert's stated criteria for a Steelers OLB.

In addition to the quote from Colbert I posted above, he also had this to say, ""The outside linebacker in our defense is probably the most difficult (to find), because 80-90 percent of them don’t play on their feet in college. And we have to try to project whether a guy can stand up and do the extra things beyond pass rushing that he’s going to be required to do in our defense. So the potential for error at the outside linebacker position is really greater than any other position, because most of the time it is a projection. So you’re looking for someone who can rush the passer, can play on a tight end or a tackle and can drop into coverage on occasion. The drop-in-coverage part, a lot of times we won’t see that until—actually when we get in here for the initial workouts, and then follow it up with some pro day advancements, as well."

I would say the biggest factor against selecting Rivers would be the level of competition he faced in college.

The Steelers' first round pick, if history can be used as a guide, will be a Jr. from a successful program in a Power 5 conference, who has a good SPARQ score. Marlon Humphrey fits the bill, as does Kevin King. Jabrill Peppers ranks 6th among safeties in SPARQ, but he offers the added dimensions that Kevin Colbert reportedly loves.

Back to the original post, I would be shocked if Takk McKinley is selected, because the Steelers have reportedly said they would not select an injured player.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    For the reasons you've stated, plus the seemingly mandatory pro day attendance of Colbert and/or Tomlin, I think it's TJ or bust for the edge in R1. I'd like Takk, but I think the injury is a risk (and I think he'll be gone anyway).

As the draft approaches, I think the tea leaves are pointing to Humphrey, Davis or Peppers. There was no pro day attendance or private visit with King, so he's doubtful (and like Takk I feel good about him being gone at 30).

I think it's Rivers or Lawson in the 2nd if we go with a non-edge guy in the 1st.

14. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    If tomlin is going to be stubborn and run the same defense he ran in the afccg.. then we need to draft guys to make his Dream 2 Defense work...

15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I don't buy comments to the media. What purpose does it serve to inform other teams on who you won't draft? The only possible purpose I can think of is to prevent someone from trading in front of you for someone you really do want

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Curious what you think the chances are of him even being there at 30? A few edge-needy teams ahead of us have visited with him multiple times, and he's regarded by the media draft pundits as a top 25 guy (Mayock #19, Brandt #24). I haven't finished my 1st round mock yet, but I know for certain that I will have him gone before #30 based on the tea leaves that I'm reading (though I'd love to get him there).

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The fact that Tak won't be available until September... really just throws his draft projection in to the wind. On talent, I think he's a top 15 guy, but he's injured and likely won't be a big contributor in his 1st season (missing Rookie camp, OTA, Training camp, pre-season).

I haven't kept up with the tea leaves as much this year... but usually guys fall under that type of scenario. I simply think he's going to be awesome.