1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Round 1 Review

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 27, 2012.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A pick by pick review of the 2012 NFL Draft. I'll start by saying this was the most entertaining Round 1 I can remember. The # of trades, surprise picks and fast temp made is an incredible experience.

1. Indianopolis Colts - QB Andrew Luck

As expected. I don't think he is as good as some make him out to be, and I see alot more of an Eli Manning than a Peyton Manning. He's on a dreadful team and could struggle early. Give him 3-5 years.

2. Washington Redskins - QB Robert Griffin III

Also, as expected. A Mike Vick type of player. He should excel in Mike Shannahan's offense. He needs to throw the ball better if he wants to survive in the NFL. Will make plays with his legs. Should outplay Luck in Year 1.

3. Cleveland Browns - RB Trent Richardson

A steep price to move up 1 spot as they gave up a 4th, a 5th & a 7th. If that's really who they coveted than it is worth it as Tampa Bay was probably in the hunt too. I personally thought the Browns should sit at #4 and get Justin Blackmon. Blackmon can do alot more damage within the AFC North than Richardson will.

4. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil

A very great trade made by the Vikings as they get the player they wanted plus 3 other picks. Kalil is a safe player. He's not Joe Thomas and he's not Jake Long, but a little bit of both. They needed Kalil to protect Ponder for the future.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - WR Justin Blackmon

Incredible move by the Jags. After reports they wanted to move down, they made the smart decision and got a blue chip player. Curious move by Tampa as they pass on a blue chip player for a mere 4th round pick. The Jags have never had a great WR, but Blackmon will change that. My only problem with the move is that Gabbert has to get him the ball, and my opinion of the Jags QB is as low as it gets. I don't see Blackmon having an AJ Green type of rookie season.

6. Dallas Cowboys - CB Morris Claiborne

They paid the price as they sacrified their 2nd round pick, but Dallas ends up with the best CB in the draft and finally have a solution on the outside. I love the move.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - S Mark Barron

As I mentioned earlier, I am surprised the Bucs passsed on a blue chip player, essentially passing on Claiborne. Now I love the player they got in Barron, but I just hate the move as they only picked up a 4th round pick. Seems to me they should have been looking for a 3rd round pick as compensation.

8. Miami Dolphins - QB Ryan Tannehill

Now everyone saw this move coming from a mile away, but I still find it laughable. I really think they just set their franchise back another 5 years. They just can't seem to get it right after Marino retired. I think Tannehill is a good 3 years away from being productive and I just don't see the ceiling that the Dolphins do.

9. Carolina Panthers - LB Luke Kuechly

A bit of a surprise for me as I thought they would be going DT. I like Kuechly will be a very good LB but I don't see pro bowl potential in him. I know Beason has struggled to stay healthy so it was a need. Its a good pick, just not a great one.

10. Buffalo Bills - CB Stephon Gilmore

Great pick by Buffalo. They took the BPA instead of really reaching on a need at OT. With Brady in the division, Bufallo needs a top flight CB.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - DT Dontari Poe

A pick that many expected the Chiefs to make. Some thing he is overrated and a workout warrior, but I think he has Haloti Ngata type abilities. They play a 3-4, and Poe will make a great addition to Romeo Crennel's defense.

12. Philadelphia Eagles - DT Fletcher Cox

After a small slide by Cox, the Eagles moved up by surrendering their 4th and 6th round picks. I have no problem with this move. I Think the Rams would have loved to have Cox at #14. Cox is disruptive and will help the Philly pass rush.

13. Arizona Cardinals - WR Michael Floyd

Larry Fitzgerald wanted Michael Floyd. The Cardinals told Fitz if Floyd was still there at #13, they would take him. They lived up to their word. I truly think this will be the best WR tandem in the league, very soon. I had Floyd as a Top 5 talent. Tremendous pickup. Now if Kolb can only get them the ball.

14. St Louis Rams - DT Michael Brockers

I feel so sorry for the Rams. They really wanted a WR. They wanted Blackmon, only to have the Jags swipe him 1 pick ahead. They traded back to where they thought they might get Floyd only to have the Cardinals take him. They also had the Eagles take Cox on them. I don't like the Brockers pick at all. He's more of a run stuffer than a pass rusher from the middle. Just not what the Rams needed.

15. Seattle Seahawks - DE Bruce Irvin

Allow me... WHAT?? Complete head scratcher. Irvin is not a football player. He is a one trick pony. He is a situational pass rusher. Now, he will get his sacks, I'm not denying that, but he doesn't bring much of anything else to the table. Obviously the biggest reach in the 1st round.

16. NY Jets - DE Quentin Coples

I understand that Coples may have been a good value pick, but where does he fit in the Jets scheme? Are they going to stand him up to play LB or bulk him up to play DE? I thought they could have used a better pass rusher here.

17. Cincinnati Bengals - CB Dre Kirkpatrick

I am a big Kirkpatrick fan and we all knew the Bengals were looking at a CB. A great pick. He is a very physical corner who make his presence felt.

18. San Diego Chargers - DE/OLB Melvin Ingram

One of the better value picks of the draft. I thought Ingram was a Top 10 pick and the Chargers just stood pat and let one of the draft's best pass rushers fall right to them.

19. Chicago Bears - DE Shea McClellin

Another head scratcher. I thought he was at best Brooks Reed. To me is a 3-4 OLB and I don't know if he can play DE play in and play out for the Bears. Maybe a SAM backer? I thought a guy like Whitney Mercilus would be a better pick. Alot of unhappy Bears fans this morning.

20. Tennessee Titans - WR Kendall Wright

I was not as high on Wright as some but the Titans did need another receiver. I thought they would be better off getting help in the trenches.

21. New England Patriots - DE Chandler Jones

If Jones is as good as some make him out to be, this could be a steal. The Pats, known for trading back, decided to move up by giving up a 3rd round pick and grab a player they loved. The Pats need pass rushers and this pick could help. I think this was a reach.

22. Cleveland Browns - QB Brandon Weeden

I like Weeden and I think he will be a good player and I actually had him rated as a 1st round pick. I just think Cleveland could have got him in the 2nd round. Still, Weeden is an immediate upgrade over Colt McCoy in my opinion and should start immediately. I guess the Browns think they can get a great WR in the 2nd round. Maybe after Wright was off the board they decided to pull the trigger on the QB.

23. Detroit Lions - OT Riley Reiff

Reiff fell as was expected, and the Lions really need OT help. I still question whether he will be a successful OT or will have to kick inside.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - OG David Decastro

Few saw this coming! The draft's best Guard falls right to the team that needed him the most. Colbert must have just been itching to trade up for him and was rewarded for his patience. An instant starter and a future pro bowler. Nothing to dislike here at all.

25. New England Patriots - LB Dont'a Hightower

As soon as the Steelers passed on the Bama backer, the Pats made their move. They give up a 4th round pick to grab the big linebacker. Not sure where he will line up in the Patriots Defense. They a lready have good linebackers in Mayo and Spikes. I expect Hightower to be used primarily as a run stuffer and a pass rusher on 3rd down.

26. Houston Texans - OLB Whitney Mercilus

Kudos to the Texans on this pick. Instead of forcing an offensive want, they continue to add to their defense. They lost Mario, so a pass rusher was the way to go. Mercilus lead the NCAA in sacks last year and knows how to bring the heat.

27. Cincinnati Bengals - OG Kevin Zeitler

The Bengals were able to pick up a 3rd round pick, but I don't think that is enough to offset the difference between Decastro and Zeitler. Zeitler is a nice safe pick and will be a mainstay on their offensive line. I just think they passed on a pro bowl guard.

28. Nick Perry - OLB Nick Perry

Many saw this pick coming, but with Upshaw sliding, I thought he would be the guy. Can't complain about Perry though. Good pick.

29. Minnesota Vikings - S Harrison Smith

I like the move up coming back in the 1st round, just don't like the player. They only had to give up a 4th round pick to get back in but I think this is a bit of a reach. Good move by Baltimore to move out and pick up up a 4th round pick. Theyre gonna get the guy they wanted anyways in Round 2.

30. San Francisco 49ers - WR AJ Jenkins

I thought this was also one of the biggest reaches in the draft. He's got ok size and good speed. He was productive this past season, but not so much to be warranted a 1st round pick. He, himself was extremely surprised this happened. Not a good sign when the team has more faith than the player. I think there were better WRs on the board.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - RB Doug Martin

Whereas I did not like the Bucs moving down earlier in the round, I love this move to get back into the 1st. I am a big fan of Greg Schiano and he loves to pound the rock. He needed an upgrade over Blount. Doug Martin probably is the 2nd best RB in the draft. They really didnt even lose a pick as they just swapped picks in the 4th round. Not a great decision by Denver, but Tampa will say "Thank You".

32. NY Giants - RB David Wilson

I think they forced a need here. Jacobs is gone and Bradshaw can't stay healthy. Wilson was insanely productive this year but could be a 1 year wonder. Not sure this is the pick most Giants fans were looking for.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Good write up. Of course I love the Decastro pick by us. I thought the Floyd pick by AZ was very good. That WR tandem in AZ will be easily be the best in the league. The Browns taking Weeden is a big head scratcher to me.

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Nice overview, any guess on our 2nd rd pick?

Cajun-

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    My guy is Ta'Amu, but I don't think he fall to us at #56. We may have to give up on 4th round pick to move up and go get him. I have no problems with doing this.

If not Ta'amu, I'll be looking for someone who has slipped. Names like, Massie, Adams, Martin, Konz...

I know a few people will be looking at Kendricks. For me, it was Hightower or bust as far as the first 3 rounds go for an ILB.

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Best trade of round 1.... Dallas move to get Claiborne. Remindes me of when we moved up 11 spots to get 43.GREAT move for the girls!!

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought I'd share this link with everyone. Its found over on the forum at NFLDraftCountdown.com. I think most will get a good laugh out of it. Keep in mind this guy is a Titans fan. I didnt really get his reaction on the DeCastro pick, but I guess it was his reaction since the Titans had passed on him. Enjoy!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52641

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks NB, I had a couple really good laughs over that. :lolol:
    #22 probably being the best.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011