1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roster Moves - McFadden & Battle Gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Feb 8, 2012.

1. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

gay had a decent year? why would you want him gone when hes maybe just turning it around? i what gay to stay

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was honestly surprised that Battle even stayed on the team this year. And Bmac has been a huge disappointment since he came back. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. Or better yet, let the door hit ya.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That is quite a comparison. Gay played twice as well as ever before this year, and he was barely average. I can't remember his INT against Cleveland, but I know the one against Cincy wasn't in the end zone, and he only had two.

I'll be fine if we keep him, but if he starts or is even #3, I'll be disappointed. I hope he is surpassed by Lewis and Allen, and hopefully Brown too. Those guys definitely appear to have more talent for sure, but Lewis was a little bonkers and the other two don't have the experience. There's also the fact that he's a free agent, so we'd have to spend money to get him because I don't think he's included in our current cap. If the others show chops, I'm okay letting him go.

EDIT: I looked up his INT against Cleveland. Good coverage, but a terribly underthrown ball. His pick against Cincy was much better.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This was Willie Gay's best season. He had a couple really nice games but he also had some real clunkers. He is improving overall but still has much farther to go. I'm good with keeping him with continued improvement. He needs to keep working on tackling technique. The biggest reason for him getting torched so bad was because he couldn't tackle guys in tight so he had to play off the receivers too much. His coverage has been tighter this season as his tackling improves. Again, still far to go but decent progress under Coach Lake.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Do we still have Limas Sweed and if so why? I'm just curious if we are still paying him.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    AND THE PURGE BEGINS!

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We are definitely going in the right direction.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nope, we got rid of him last off season. Apparently they threw him a leaving party, but he dropped it.

I think the writing was on the wall for both McFadden and Battle. I'll be more interested to see if we keep MeMo around.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly my thought as well... :?

10. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Same here. 2 seasons ago i was ready to write him off. Lake seemed to improve his game a good bit this season (assuming Lake was the reason in his obvious improvements) and Gay had his best season so far. He also looks like he still has potential to improve more.

Now starting at #2.............IDK about that just yet

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok just keep Gay off the corners that's where's he's getting killed, he doesn't have the speed to keep up.

yes beat off the defenders is a must :grin:

13. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was NOT one in the Willie Gay camp, however, this year he seems to have turned the corner. Coach Lake must be doing something right. Could he take over for DL in the future?