1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roster Moves - McFadden & Battle Gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Feb 8, 2012.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    From Steelers.com "The Steelers have terminated the contracts of CB Bryant McFadden and WR Arnaz Battle. Pittsburgh also waived TE Miguel Chavis and LB Erik Clanton."

Battle won't be missed, hopefully our younger CB's will step up this year and replace McFadden.

2. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    CUTS

Via Big Ben's FB The Steelers have terminated the contracts of CB Bryant McFadden and WR Arnaz Battle. Pittsburgh also waived TE Miguel Chavis and LB Erik Clanton.

Pittsburgh signed CB Myron Rolle, who spent the entire 2010 season on the practice squad of the Tennessee Titans and was released at the end of training camp in 2011. WR Juamorris Stewart joins the Steelers after spending part of the 2010 offseason with the Arizona Cardinals.

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    My guess is Keenan Lewis is the opening day starter across from Ike.

4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Arians, Mcfadden,(gone) NE loses and the Haley signing... OH MY!! :rawk:

keep it coming, if Gay ends up on that list .. I'll be shooting off fireworks from the top of the CN Tower

5. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Interested to know the cap savings here...any ideas?

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I read it was apx 3.5 million in cap savings.

*Merged similar topics

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Why gay had a solid year last year. I think he will be back coach lake has said nothing but good things about him.

8. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    He is a free agent though and we have like no cap room, so he'll only be back if he signs for very cheap... and as much as people hate him here he did have a pretty good year... So he could get more elsewhere.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    mc fadden 2,5
    battle 1,2
    restructure woodley -6,5 +0,7

cap save 9,5

10. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Of course Battle and McFadden won't be missed. McFadden was already replaced this year by Gay and the young CB's. Curtis Brown was a special teams stud this year, thats why Battle is gone.

I have stated many times that McFadden would not be back. Just today in another post I listed McFadden and Battle as players that should not be bought back. I also read in another post today that Woodleys contract has been restructured. The Steelers are getting ready to get that cap number down. A lot more cuts will be coming down. Hoke has retired and Aaron Smith is next, along with, Farrior, Foote, Hamptom, Kemo, Leftwich, Moore (Barron Batch is his replacement), Will Allen, David Johnson (maybe), Kaponis, Madison, Mendenhall (because of ACL injury), Jonathen Scott, Sepulveda (injury prone), Suisham, Willie Colon (Injury Prone), Max Starks (Injury Prone), Essex, Foster (Maybe). A lot of these players will not be with the team next year. I also think that Timmons contract will be restructured.

I think they will be bringing in some punters and kickers for tryouts in camp to replace both Sepulveda and Suisham.

11. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was Gay's biggest opponent. I hated his guts because he majorly sucked. He had a great season last season and this is the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, right? Keep him. He saved us 2 losses if I remember right.

12. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If we really got rid of 20 players at once, how would we replace them all?

Moderation is the way to go, as it's been for decades.

13. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    this you dont get rid of half the damn team! for one we have no cap room to sign replacements! two its dumb it would ruin the team

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the same thing when I read that. Hell there wouldn't be anyone left :lolol:

15. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    i think he would have us cut everyone sign all big backs! :roflmao:

16. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with you. I was never a fan of Gay, but after some good coaching he certainly improved this past year.

17. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Only sign the big backs if they can beat off defenders.

Most of the guys on that list need to go and most are easy to replace. A few on the list I do not agree with.

Gay needs to stay; he played good last year.

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    ward - foote or farrior - hampton ( resign for cheap) -will allen - a.smith ,kemo(trade or cut) moore
    should save a lot of space , anyway are people that have to be replaced

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No way Aaron Smith should be here unless he restructures big time.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    infact is on my cut list

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think they keep these guys in red.
    i think the guys in blue already have a replacement here.
    i think these are replaced by a draft pick or FA or UDFA. :cool:

22. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Glad to see Mcf uc up gone, what a watse of mony and a draft pick. :yeehaw:

23. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We traded a 5th round draft pick for Bryant McFadden and Antonio Brown. I'm not sure it was a TOTAL waste. We also got to the Super Bowl with him starting in '10. Gay was atrocious in '09 and decent in '11. He was somewhere in between in '10, but was not facing as touch competition as the #3. He didn't really improve until this year, when Lake got here. Lewis also was not ready to step up. B-Mac filled a hole and we got to a Super Bowl in which our defense allowed fewer points than our offense scored. He didn't play great in it, but neither did the rest of the secondary. Our offense turning it over 3 times for 21 points (including a pick 6) is what did us in there.

I think we got a pretty sweet deal.

24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't want Willie Gay gone. He is dependable. Remember. Rod Woodson got burnt once or twice a game too. I know of at least two INT's in the endzone Willie made this year alone.

But I agree Lewis will start with Ike

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    We ain't had anyone beatin off defenders in a long time huh?