1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roster Exemption

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Oct 31, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I read this on Steelers Depot this morning. Steelers Depot is saying that the Steelers can use the two week roster exemption to prevent Bell from playing. I am assuming that since the two week roster exemption would take Bell's holdout past the 10 game mark, the Steelers could essentially end Bell's season. Is there any truth to this? Is anyone on here familiar with the rules of roster exemption?

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/leveon-bells-season-officially-comes-down-to-next-14-days/

The sole remaining point of contention is the matter of the possible roster exemption, and by failing to report for this week, Bell already jeopardizes his ability to play this year, because if the Steelers are granted a two-week exemption and choose to use it, they could prevent him from being able to officially report in time, which would make him ineligible to play.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the roster exemption is for a reduced salary that they need to come to agreement on with Bell.

If Bell signs before the deadline, he's still signed, I don't think it matters after that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They don't technically have to agree on it with Bell but if he disagrees he can simply not sign. From what I am reading elsewhere it seems that even if he sits out the whole year if the Steelers tag him again it will count as his 3rd time tagged for the purposes of figuring out the tag amount. So it seems that he could sit out the whole year as I don't see the Steelers tagging him again at the 3rd time rate.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't think it works like that. It would be nice if it did but I doubt the Steelers would do that anyways. Steelers Depot making up **** per usual.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I do hope the Steelers screw this jackass, though. Tag him again, effectively ending his career if he doesn't sign or he signs and then trade the malcontent. I do not let this guy win under any circumstances.

He purposely didn't sign so he couldn't be traded. He didn't want the Steelers profiting off him. I really can't stand this punk anymore.

Yeah, Im being spiteful and vindictive and he totally deserves it. He's acting like the Steelers are some low class organization that did him wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What the hell man? I'm gonna make a exception on the exemption ruse....this time. :rolleyes:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I've read that the tag will not count as the 3rd if he sits out the whole year. I've also seen that even if he does sign, the 3rd tag will be lower than originally estimated because of the reduced salary he earns for the games he plays this season.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is not correct. If he does not report at all, they can tag him at the same rate as this season.

I agree with Blast. They should take any opportunity they can find to screw Bell just as he has done to the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Not a shameless attempt to sneak a new Bell thread in. Seriously wondering about this roster exemption. If what Steelers Depot is saying is true, it's quite possible we have seen the last of Bell in a Steelers uniform.

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Im wondering where they got that from. That is the first time I have read anyone saying such a thing. I hope it's true. It would be nice if when Bell finally reports he is turned away at the door. "Sorry friend. Your season is over."

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It would be an appropriately ridiculous end to the saga.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm in the same boat. Being from Iowa, I was sold on Bell coming out of college. Sold him hard to people on here who were skeptical of the pick. My daughter just dumped her Bell jersey for a JuJu jersey. Now, I hope the Steelers can find away to screw him so hard that his Jetski gets repo'd!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It actually was talked about here. To what degree are clarity I don't quite remember.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm a little torn on this. I certainly see the benefit of screwing Bell over and tagging him again. That said, I don't think they want him back in 2019 and he could help this team down the stretch as Conner's backup and a slot receiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When can I drop him from Fantasy?

16. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    But he's not a receiver ..BB said so himself ,said he'd much prefer Ryan Switzer over Bell as a slot guy.
    The kid is no use to us at this point anymore .Probably won't report till the last possible second ,and be so out of shape he'll never see the field .We should just wash our hands of this whole mess and move on

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    What I have read is that the language in the CBA says that if he is "designated" as the franchise tag player; it does not reference him actually signing the tag. While he would not accrue an additional season if he does not sign the tender that doesn't necessarily mean the tag amount will stay the same the third time he is actually designated as the franchise player, which would be next year if the Steelers tag him again. Having not read the CBA I have no idea whether this is true but I am not going to assume the media was correct about this all along as they have been repeatedly wrong about Bell sitting out to get a new deal, something that can't happen.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He's not a true slot receiver but can be utilized in the slot to create mismatches. You can come out in a 2 RB set and then shift Bell into the slot and get him on a mismatch. I do know he has better hands than Switzer,that's for sure.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger is supporting the players who are present, as he should. That doesn't mean it's true.

Bell has shown much more in his career as a slot receiver than we've seen from Switzer. Your claim that Bell is no use to the Steelers at all at this point stops being true the minute he signs. He is a far better option to share the load with Conner than Ridley or Samuels. He is a better slot receiver than Switzer. Even in a reserve/utility role he would make that offense better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    IMO if Bell returns to play in a Steeler uniform it only causes issues .I truly hope he just sits out the rest of the year .He's not even remotely close to being in football shape and I highly doubt he's in his right football mind ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He is not a WR. He has great hands....but I think as we are seeing with Conner...most of those catches are not "running routes" as much as it is escaping out of the backfield...making a LB try to cover. Bell is a great athlete and I am sure he could win some matchups on corners. But WR trying to get off the jam and creating space 60 plays a game...and catching some out of the backfield catches are not the same thing.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If I take a step back and swallow my emotions, I want Bell here for the stretch run IF he’s ready to roll from a conditionings perspective (and of course if the other players accept him back). Even if he takes a few weeks to get to 100%, he could be a valuable contributor on the field for a stretch run. I love what Conner is doing, but I am concerned about him being worn down come playoff time. His running style is aggressive, and subjects him to a lot of punishment. Conner may be better off splitting some snaps down the stretch.

Also, if Conner gets injured, an in-shape Bell could save our season.

It’s in Bell’s best interest to be in shape when he comes back. The last few weeks of the season are his final audition. If he comes back and stinks, he’s going to have a REALLY hard time explaining to other teams why he deserves a fat contract. His contract hopes may survive getting limited touches if Conner remains a 90%+ snap guy, but they won’t survive if he stinks when he does get onto the field.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    7 weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly and I've been saying the same thing for a few weeks. When and if he reports I will be concerned with only what happens between the lines. We have the whole offseason to continue the discussion on his future or lack thereof

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The only motivation for Bell to return this year is because he won't be required to sign the franchise again for the SAME AMOUNT money as this year if implemented again. Only if he reports by week 10 or whatever will he be eligible for an increase in the franchise tag amount to the purported 22 million a year and be eligible for free agency.

Per many sources. It's the entire reason why he's going to report this year. He won't be sitting out all year unless he is considering retirement from the league all together or wants to sit out next year entirely (which considering his age is very unlikely. )

• Agree Agree x 1