1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roster Analysis - Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Jul 29, 2019.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I like to take a little different approach to roster predictions. Who are the locks? Who are the guys on the bubble? Basically I want to look at who has a legit shot at the roster assuming we stay healthy.

Dline (7) - Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu. These 4 are locks. Buggs, Hooks, McCullers. I think these 3 guys are fighting for the final 2 spots.

OLB (5) - Dupree, Watt, Chickillo, and Adeniyi are probably all locks. Smith is on the bubble, but unlike the some other positions, I think he is fighting others for a roster spot. There are no other OLBs who I think will push him off the roster.

ILB (5) - Williams, Barron, and Bush are locks. Gilbert and Dirty Red are fighting for the roster.

I think we have 10 LBs who have a shot at the roster, but with Gilbert and Smith having PS eligibility, I think there is some ability for this to be in flux.

CB (6) - Haden, Nelson, and Hilton are locks. Allen, Burns, Layne and Sutton. These guys are probably fighting for 3 spots. One of them isn't going to make the roster. I think the question will be Burns potential as a cover guy vs. Allen's ability on special teams.

S (7) - Edmunds and Davis are locks. Allen, Askew-Henry, Dangerfield, Kelly, and Locke are all potentials. These 5 guys are all fighting for 2-3 spots. Askew-Henry and Locke have to force their way onto the roster as I think the other 3 are all leading at the moment.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Layne is our 3rd round pick just signed to a 4yr contract: Why is he competing for a spot?

3. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Why is Layne fighting for a spot because its the NFL being a third round pick is no guarantee. Now most likely he is leading that group or maybe 2nd out of 4 for three spots.

If draft position and hype were all that's needed then Burns should have played in 2 or 3 pro bowls by now.

My biggest worry is our recent total failure at making really good choices when it comes to the secondary.
    I still think our coaching is a big part of the blame Burns and Davis both took major steps backward in their second year Davis rebounded but Burns even if he wasn't a true first rounder he was no worse than a second rounder and by now he might be ruined , done finished.

All I am looking for is some serious progress from the secondary, no more confusion, no more mental breakdowns.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Layne is a lock. The Steelers aren't giving up on a third-round pick even if he sucks in training camp and the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Dirty Red is a lock for two reason...1) He’s the only true Buck other than Williams and 2)-he’s a ST demon....

If Davis keeps missing tackles in preseason Kelly could replace him——

I wouldn’t call chick Lock, Adeniyi might beat him out and Skipper is a dark horse I’m pulling for And Smith is a near lock.

Cajun

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree with much of this.

Chick’s contract structure makes him a near lock for 2019, and a likely candidate to be cut (or extended) in 2020. The savings is only $800k if he’s cut, and we would take a $1.1 million dead cap hit for both 2019 and 2020. He’s also the only experienced backup OLB, and our coaches have historically valued experience. I think the team has wisely structured Chick’s deal in a way that gives us an experienced backup in 2019 and the ability to see whether someone else develops for next year before making a decision on him for 2020.

Davis is a lock for 2019. Barring injury he will almost certainly be starting Day 1 no matter what he or the other safeties do in preseason. Again, the coaches value experience, and he was OK last season in his first season as the starting FS. I think we can - and should - do better at FS, but that better player is likely not on our current roster.

I expect Dirty Red to be the 4th or 5th ILB, and ST captain again, but I don’t think he’s a lock. We have some young talent that can supplant him if they flash at LB and STs. He may be limited to the Buck role by his slow-footedness, but that doesn’t mean that some of our younger players can’t play the Buck better than him. I expect him to be back because of his experience, but he can be beaten out for a roster spot because of his well-known limitations.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They gave up on kraig urbik a 3rd round pick before he even played in a game they waived him, he went on to play 9 years in the nfl, so no 3rd round pick is a lock...

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tuitt has restructured his deal moving him to the front of next year's cut list because his base salary will be ridiculous.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With Hargrave set to become a free agent after the season, the Steelers aren't getting rid of Tuitt.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Haven’t looked at the details but I would be astonished if they cut Tuitt.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually that’s not the case. By restructuring, his 2019 salary was mostly converted to a signing bonus, which is in our cap number whether he’s here or not. Per the numbers reported by Spotrac, it would cost more to cut him or trade him in 2020 than to keep him.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I was basing more on how the restructures for other players has gone. Convert the bulk of the 2019 money to a bonus and lowering the cap hit but inflating his base pay the following year making a restructure necessary again and adding more to the base until it is better to cut the player than keep them. It's why I hate restructuring.

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I didn't mean they would want to cut him just that once the restructuring starts the base pay goes up and makes cutting the more affordable option than keeping him. It's happened to a bunch of the guys who were near the end of their careers.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tuitt is not getting cut. He is not the current issue looking forward. Cameron Heyward's age likely will be as he will be. He is a UFA in 2021 when his contract ends. How long of an extension will he receive?!

Regarding the current roster, Justin Layne will be a lock for me. Isaiah Buggs is a favorite of mine to win a spot on the Final 53. Ulysees Gilbert III vs. Tyler Matakevich will be the one to watch.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Urbik spent a full season on the Steelers roster. He was a third-round pick in 2009 and he was cut in September of 2010.

In other words, your example actually helps prove my point. Even a third-round pick the Steelers clearly saw as a bust lasted one season with the team. Layne will be with them at least that long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    When a contract restructured it usually doesn’t increase the base salary for the next season. It converts the current year's salary to a restructuring bonus to reduce the current year cap hit. For example, a guy with a $10 million salary and 3 years left on his deal has his contract restructured. $9 million is converted to a bonus, and is spread over 3 years for cap purposes. His current year cap hit goes from $10 million to $4 million ($1 million base salary plus 1/3 of the $9 million bonus). However, $3 million per year is pushed to the year 2 and 3 cap. If he’s cut, that money is dead money that counts against the cap. That’s what what was done with Tuitt’s contract.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    To be more specific to Tuitt, the restructuring converted 5.195 million of his 6 million 2019 salary to a signing bonus, and spread that 5.195 million equally over the 2019 - 2021 cap.

• Informative Informative x 1