1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ross Cockrell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes , I'm tired a watching Cock rell getting beaten at the wrong time. I can picture the cheats receivers beating Cock rell too many times .

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    The biggest problem is the failure to draft a quality corner. Cockrell was a trash heap pile pickup that has been a solid contributer. This is crucial because when you have a great team you are limited in salary as we have a top 5 qb, top 5 wr, top 5 rb, solid lbs, solid dl, top ol, etc. A decent cb in free agency will run you like 5+ mill. This d is made to get to the qb and not need top flight corners. If we start paying corners we need to downgrade other areas of the defense and probably on offense. So Tomlin and colbert better just start drafting better corners.

3. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Brady can make many look bad. Cockrell is still coming into his own in my opinion. I think in two more seasons we won't be complaining or questioning him. Yes, he needs to improve but at least he is better than Blake lol. What about Gilbert that we got from Cleveland ? I actually thought he would unseat Cockrell.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Cockrell won me over with the flop on Kelce last night! Loved it!!! :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cockrell got burned numerous times against KC.

Not sure why it's off limits to criticize on our players. He didn't play well. Hopefully he plays better next week because we're going to need everyone to step up

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I wouldn't exactly call that a flop.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You're right, it wasn't a flop. But what Cockrell did to Kelce just before that was brilliant. He knew Kelce was a hothead and he gave him a shove at the end of the play and then faced up to him like "whatchu gonna do about it, punk!" Pure genius!!! :roflmao:

Can you revise the gif to show the Cockrell push just before this?

8. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Darn Beat me to it TTF

9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Numerous?

How many times did he get burned?

Subtract that number from the ~50 defensive snaps he played, and tell me about those snaps?

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Cockrell is the least of our worries from a long term stand point. We still have Gilbert and Gholson still waiting in the wings. Cockrell did not have a good game but if we get a good edge rusher and get some consistent pressure it will make up for his play at times.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Great point. Do you think Cock rell enjoys getting beat?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    At least Burns has a excuse he's a rookie, Burns also came up with 3 ints during the season.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't just talking about last night, in the Miami playoff game I think he gave up some 3rd and longs too.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Gilbert can't even get on the field as a former top 10 pick :facepalm:, Golson is a china doll this guy gets injured putting on his uniform :hehehe:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone pay this man's tab. :bowdown: :applaud::drinks:

To piggyback and add a question to conclude with what the likes of TerribleTowelFlying, RPO, Glenn, and others have stated, Cockrell's abilities ha e been nothing short of great given the circumstances.

Against the likes of Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall and even DeShaun Jackson from earlier in the season, team generally have difficulty defending receivers who have an aggressive combative catch abilities anyway. To say Ross is bad due to the events against Kansas City is unfair and unjustified; inaccurate no less.

To conclude this with a question to those who think Ross sucks, if Ross really is as bad as many of you state, perhaps we can negotiate a deal with Mike Mularkey to trade for Valentino Blake considering Blake was far better last season right?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Confirming once again that 80% of the game is beyond you.

Cockrell held Maclin to 2 catches on 4 targets. All you saw was a 3rd and 20 play...

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Maybe Valentino Blake is better? :lolol:

18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Youd think a fan base that has complained about CBs for the better part of this century, would in fact recognize a good CB.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Thinking and hoping are two different ideologies I am afraid. :roflmao:

20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's a hard Cock rell question , it could swing either way. If they're going to make Cock rell hang with the big boys, then we'll have to expect some beats here and there. If he gets beaten too many times I hate to see Cock rell become another stiff like Blake was. I also hate seeing Brady happy , when he see''s Gay - Cock rell on the field you know he's going to be licking his lips.

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    It's not like anyone is calling him a shutdown corner or pro bowler... but if the only plays you process are completions and splash plays, then I guess there's no such thing as a shutdown corner anyway

Ross Cockrell is a good solid corner. He's been the best DB this season by far... and a big reason we've improved as a secondary throughout the year (even if the naive want to give all the credit to our mistake prone rookies).

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Here you go, sir.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our young db's are improving and will get better, they will have to be on their game this week
    against the dink and dunk.

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So to all that are upset that we are talking about RC's play let me point out at least with my point of view. I am not saying he sucks or is garbage, I am saying his play has gone backwards. Is it because he is now on the #1 guy or is it because we actually have talent back there unlike previous years, IDK. I have been a fan of this kid since I saw him in the Shrine game where I thought he had talent and could be a late round gem. So now that he is a Steeler I am excited and want to see him excel, which he did last year well above anyone's expectations.

I am not saying this kid sucks or that this kids is no good, I am simply saying I feel this year he has taken a step back. Yes our defense is a major reason we are going to be playing Sunday and yes Cockrell has a big hand in it. However that don't mean you can't talk about IMO his play slipping. Was he brought in here to be a #1 CB no and I feel he is being treated like one and that is where a lot of my criticism is coming from. I hope he has a monster game Sunday and you all come on here and bash me I am fine with that cause I like this kid and want to see him succeed.

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't actually see the replay before, because I had to watch the game on condensed... that's hilarious. It's worthy of Shamarko or Kemoeatu at the least.