1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ross Cockrell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This guy is the weak link on the defense IMO. It seems like whenever the opponents have a 3rd and long they throw it to the WR he's covering, I think he gave up a 3rd and 20 in the Chiefs game :facepalm:. The team needs to look for a upgrade in the offseason. It would be nice if he got more PBU and played tighter coverage.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think he's having a pretty good year.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He's often covering the best receiver, which is why the ball goes his way.

We've gone from "awful defense with terrible secondary " to the AFCCG. Maybe a bit of recognition that Cockerill is playing at a level nobody gave him credit for at the start of the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Cockrell is playing well. Just because he gave up one long pass doesn't mean hes the weak link. He's solid but not elite so he will give up plays. Also its not like the steelers play a lot of man coverage so it could have been another player in the wrong spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    the defensive secondary is a much improved unit. Cockrell is a big reason why. Are they perfect? No, but they are a much more cohesive unit that has given up far fewer big plays than the first half of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Mark it down: Brady is going to throw Cockrell's way early and often.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Remember. Rod Woodson was always good for letting a long one through about every game

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm still going with mitchell. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cockrell is fine... but we need another corner along with Cockrell and Burns. Gay has been a great Steeler, but is getting long in the tooth for a corner. Corners and RBs age quicker than most positions.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I personally blame Tomlin for having him cover the top receivers in the game. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No Gay will be the huckleberry. The will run go routes outside and seam route to the TE just to clear Edelman underneath between the lbers and safety

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with 6, while Cockrell has played fine he is not a number 1, imo. I like what he showed last year and am glad he is here but a #1 CB he is not. I feel his play has went backwards for whatever reason, not sure if it is who he is covering or if they are coming him way more. I by no means am dumbing on him I just agree that he is not playing as well as last year. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Must. not. post. joke about. Brady liking Ross's last name.

14. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Burns gives up a TD on a terrible read for the 4th consecutive week, and we're talking about Cockrell being he weak link again?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This.

How many times was Cockrell even targeted last night? There's a reason balls weren't going his way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So we have Gay , Cock, Burns out there .:thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    But he gets turned around a lot.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I was saying man, burns getting burnt during the game. He's great, but he makes mistakes as expected

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Remember when Willy Gay was the weak link? Haven't seen any Gay bashing on here for quite awhile. Now some of you guys want to slam Cock rell.:whistley:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    I like him and think he's definitely an asset. Briefly, here's why:

1. He leads the team in passes defended (HUGE)
    2. He has good "awareness", where half the time Burns doesn't even realize the ball is in the air
    headed to the receiver he's covering due to his back being turned
    3. His speed and hands are good and he knows how to play physical
    4. Plays with passion, and last nite he finally successfully coaxed the Chiefs TE, Kelce, into pushing him down garnering a 15 yd penalty in our favor, which means he's also smart

He's coming along fine

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I always like to measure a corner's worth by how much he's tested. You don't see a lot of people testing Sherman either. I like Cockrell and have for a while. Tomlin has also flat out said that he's a really smart football player and that is what he really likes the most about him and said it's why he has spent so much time on the field.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He bit hard on that touchdown but he DID have a good pass defending play on a deep shot they took. He's still a rookie though so I'm not expecting him to be Mel Blount just yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Not bashing, but not sure the DB had great games yesterday and a better QB would have made a few more plays. Couple throws to Kelce where Ross's back was to the ball. Kelce should have caug one and the other will be a PI next week in NE. There was the deep route where Burns got turned around but it fell incomplete.

Keep pressure on Brady and those too may fall short. If he's comfortable, he'll hit more passes.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Pressure will be key next week. No doubt about it. Although if we can take away that quick read Brady likes to go with so much and just play physical I like our chances. Bottom line though really is that we just need to control the ball on offense and just keep Brady spectating. Then actually score td's when we have the chance to do so.

25. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    we are in the championship game and the defense is the main reason why. I am happy to say that they have exceeded my expectations on defense this year including ross. I have no problem with him or the way he has played.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1