1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ross Cockrell Vs Kansas City

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 19, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

All I am asking Ross to do is execute; something he does far more than people give him credit for.

If anything, I loved the increased level of physicality he displayed in this game compared to previous ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Poor analogy

3. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I thought his game looked good.

4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    In my opinion Ross is a major feather in the cap for the front office. They liked him in the draft, paid attention to the situation in Buffalo (solid depth at corner), and pounced when he was released.

Moves like this one and the success of the first three draft picks this year should quiet the critics for a while.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. Seldom does a team hit with three consecutive picks. In my opinion, we could have exceeded Minnesota from 2015 by hitting with a six peat had Jerald Hawkins stayed healthy given the fact that bother Ayers and Matakevich have been performing very well when needed.

Should next year yield similar results, the critics will more than likely be little more than a faint hiss.

6. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I don't understand why guys would rather get a big hit than make a good tackle. Sometimes when they get a big hit the opponent doesn't go to the ground and they get more yards. Ankle tackles are the best way to bring a player down regardless of size.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Um ... Edwards didn't play in the KC game.
    :shrug:

8. FinnSteeler

FinnSteeler Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly. This is one area where Cockrell should be able to improve. He is not the biggest and best athlete so sure tackles low especially against RB's is the key to him. There were numerous times in the last few games when he should have gone low as the last contain player but went high against big backs. Good thing was he was not looking for big hit but kind of put his arms around RB high and started to wrestle him down and got dragged for 5 more yards. There is some risk to this technique as big back like Blount could run him over. Just hit low and let the RB fall for 2-3 more yards and make the sure stop everytime. A lot of these downs were against Ravens and Miami in WC game. Just one area but cuold be a difference of long TD at worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When he is in bail he gives up way to much space a good QB could have hit the guy he was covering on almost every throw...When he is in press he rarely gets a good jam and on most plays the WR gets a step on him..Hill had him beat at least 3 times and Kelce was behind him at least Twice ...On the post that Shazier picked had he not got deep that would have probably been a TD he was 5 yards behind the WR....

He did only get turned around 1 time in that game , but the same film we just watched will get him torched against Brady ....He is a fair CB at best mainly because he is very smart and knows what to do he just lacks the skills to get it done against upper level talent ....

Do I think he is a bum?No...Do I think he is good enough to be a part of an elite Defense as a #2 CB? No he is not ...There is a reason our D is middle of the road and a big part of that is him ...I actually think he plays better in the inverted look IMO he would be a better FS than a CB.....

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ironically, I thought his weakest plays came when he wasn't just straight lined up at corner. Oh well. Different perspectives I guess.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes he does have some weaker plays at CB , but he seems to know what to do and how to read plays...I am projecting how he might play given all the work as a FS ...

So I should have said ,he shows more potential as a FS to me being his limited exposure to the position..

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitely don't think they're gonna move him to FS though.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No they probably wont, but I hope we draft another top notch CB and move him inside to Gays spot at least ...

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    @TerribleTowelFlying great job with this, today was my first chance at watching this all. I think this look shows a lot more that the plays I was thinking about were more scheme then ability. I want to point out again I said in the other thread I didn't feel his play this year was as good as last year. A couple things on that, first that don't mean I think he is crap I think he is a good player.....last year and this year. Second this view showed more why when you are just watching the game as a fan instead of a coach I have a different opinion.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've said this in other thread and will say it again. Ross is a good CB. What makes him good is his smarts. Athletically he isn't that great but good enough. He is still young in his career and will get better but once time catches up to him and he starts slowing down I don't see him moving to safety. He isn't a hitting eager run supporting CB, at least right now.

I'm glad he's here and it was stupid for Rex to try and sneak him onto their PS.

Also thank you TTF for doing this so many members can see that which only a few get to see.
    One on Artie Burns would be nice as he's thrown at more since he's a rookie. He relies on his Physical skillset more than mental right now which is different than Ross. Once Artie gets more time under his belt and the mental side starts slowing down for him I see him becoming a Pro-bowler.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  17. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    With Cockrell is our starter, what does the future hold for Gilbert and the Steelers ? Does anyone know if this guy can get the job done or not ?

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the plan has always been build him back up and let him learn the defense and then see where he is at. They got him for a steal and with the emergence of Davis and Burns as well as Cockrell play there hasn't been a need to rush him into play and have him torn down again. It will be interesting to see how he goes through the off season and into training camp.

• Like Like x 2