1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rookies learn more than football.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jun 19, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    https://www.steelers.com/news/rookies-learn-more-than-football

I've always wanted to ask this question on asked and answered by Labriola. What if anything does the team to help rookies or second year undated free agents prepare for life in football. I have always believed that Limas Sweed was not prepared to leave college and live and train in Pittsburgh with out a support system. Every so often you get tidbits about guys getting advice from veterans but never an in depth type of this is what the team does to help rookies transition. I hope there is a social media bit in there.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    All I care about is winning games. All this other crap is great for PR value but if we aren't in the playoffs again this year it doesn't matter what they figure out unrelated to the game. Most people who start new jobs get trained in doing their new responsibilities and that is exactly what knowledge transfer I care about. A famous coach long ago said "winning isn't everything, its the only thing".

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know, I kind of like the inside stuff also. As a fan in Iowa, I don't get many opportunities to see anything other than what is on the field, so that could be a reason why this kind of stuff interests me. Besides, not many jobs give a 22 year old millions of dollars. I would hope they go the extra mile to help these guys manage their money wisely.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sure the Steelers and the NFL provide quite a bit of tools needed by these young
    men to make good decisions. I would think their agents are probably involved
    quite a bit.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at a small town fair and wound up talking to a guy who was an agent. He said he has given his clients plenty of advice. And not one of them has ever listened. He said they are kids who think they are now smart because they are rich.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think their agents hurt more than help. Blowing their heads up to 'god' status. Most seem to be snake-oil salesmen.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You have heard the old saying, you can bring a horse to water,
    but you can't make him drink. The very respectful agents will try to give
    the sudden millionaire options. That is about all they can do.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Do they really need to hold they're hands? These guys have gone through college and had it paid for. Shouldn't that have been the place they learn some money management? These are adults at this point. Everything to this point has been done for them to this point, but at some time they have to become responsible for their own lives and futures. They are among people in they're situation every day. The coaches, staff, other players all make pretty good money, the help they may need or want is right in front of them.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    They also learn things like making sure you have a fall guy to take the rap when you commit a crime. That is what Chris Carter told rookies to do at the NFL rookie symposium a few years back. When I heard that all I thought about was that perhaps Carter never really turned his life around during his playing days, he just paid a fall guy to take the rap.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ray Lewis learned this one well.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    social media would have to play a big part I bet. That and "nothing good ever happens after midnight" or whatever Herm Edwards said lol.