1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie class 2020

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanIrl, Oct 19, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Just thought it was worth a mention that the 2020 rookie class looks to be working out really well. Claypool and Dotson are both contributing, Claypool in spectacular fashion. Highsmith and McFarland are developmental players that were never going to see the field much barring an injury meltdown but so far so good, their time will come.

If you include Minkah as the 1st pick then I think the front office used the resources at their disposal very well indeed.

With so many due to leave in free agency at the end of the year it was important to get this draft right and it looks to me like they nailed it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Dotson was extremely over looked, but this guy started a lot of years for Louisiana, the experience shows. Not sure if the fact that he was 24 scared teams away, I don't know.

But with no first round selection, through 5 games you couldn't be much happier.

I think Highsmith might be a starter next season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I believe it was Dotson the announcers were talking about yesterday. They said if he gets his hands on you, you're done. The kid is very strong.

Highsmith hits like a truck. Love that kid too!

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dotson's age likely was the reason. Being 24 is definitely up there in terms of where a team would like their rookies. That said, Kevin Dotson seems to love the game currently.

I can imagine that he is going to be around for some time.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    ThEy cOuLd’Ve PicKeD uP BrOdEriCk WaShIngToN oR a pUnTEr in ThE 5tH iF tHEy wOUld’Ve pLaYEd tHEiR CaRDs rIgHt.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought it would be tough for the rookies to contribute this early, because there was no mini camp, and no preseason games.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I have to admit I was wrong about Dotson. I wanted them to trade up for Solomon Kindley. Who's very solid too. He's only allowed 1 sack in 6 games as a rookie so just as good or better. But I like Dotson and will ride with our guy.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I never knew his age, but really 2 years older for an OL is not that big of a deal. A lot of Ol's play well into their early 30's. I guess from a development stand point it can mean something, but this kid looks great so far.

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm not sure why the huge deal, it usually takes an NFL O-Line player 2-3 years to develop, Dotson seems ahead of the curve of most Rookie Linemen

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dotson has already proven his value. I have to think there is at least some chance he is replacing Feiler next season, with the latter either moving back to tackle or leaving in free agency.

I really like what I've seen from Highsmith. He still has some growing to do, but he hits hard, moves fast, and shows a good motor.

Of course, Claypool is looking like a steal. We still need to see what he does against better defenses as teams get film on him, but he certainly looks like a fantastic player.