1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Cook - When is the Steelers Way the wrong way

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve been on board with moving on from Tomlin in the past, I’ve said many times the biggest reason to do that is the message get stale, need a new voice. Now though, I like the team they are assembling and want to see what Tomlin does with it. We are going to find out regardless of what fans want because he is here for two more years at a minimum.

Got news for you, if Pickett doesn’t land in tier two, doesn’t matter who your coach is, they won’t be winning any SB’s. What has Belechick done without Brady? Players are much more responsible for wins and losses. As great as Ben was, he wasn’t always a great playoff QB, many of the losses can be traced back to him, especially in the later years. Pickett doesn’t have to be on Bens level to win, one area he will excel at that Ben didn’t will be in the film room, Pickett is a student of the game, he’s a film buff that seems to learn quickly, that makes a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

LOL - you don't like it, so that is insanity? LOL....

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have no feeling on it one way or another just pointing out the irony in someone defining insanity but not realizing that definition also applies to what they are doing.

I already said I think Cook makes a very valid argument but I'm not sure it can apply to pro football.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Funny how that always seemed to happen...:hmm::lolol:

Belichick.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

I agree completely. Dumblin is one Big Ben end zone pass into triple coverage away from being known as Marvin Lewis, Jr...many think that he already is. He is an AVERAGE coach, nothing more nothing less. The problem, however, is that Artie II thinks he is a "great" coach. Many fans, including myself, are wondering what the Mission Statement of the Pittsburgh Steelers currently is...it's NOT about winning Championships anymore, that's for damn sure.

#firetomlin

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Rumblin', Stumblin', Dumblin'. I guess it does have a ring to it......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Its always quoted that players love to play for him and didn’t quit this year but maybe the love to play for him is overrated. You are professional so it shouldn’t be celebrated players didn’t quit. The goal is to win championships and short of that making playoff runs.

Pat Riley pushed his player relentlessly because it was the only way they could get over the hump. Jordan pushed his teammates in practice relentlessly as well and they hated him at times but it made them better and mentally tougher. When the CBA limited padded practices it seemed we lost something. So thats great that the players love Tomlin but the results matter and we haven’t succeeded to the standard the organization expects for a long time.

Maybe today’s athlete is so coddled they cannot handle a head coach that is a task master that doesn’t tolerate bs and pushes his players to chase perfection. You need players that want to win at all costs and a coach that pushes and prepares his players to obtain the maximum from their talent. Is Coach T that guy, I don’t think so but he’s our coach for several more years and likely longer. I wonder what it will take for ownership to move on from him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Consistently losing seasons is what it would take for the man in charge to move on from Tomlin. Just in the 2020 Tomlin helped this team start the season 11-0 with an over the hill franchise QB.

Tomlin still has it as HC. This team finished the season strong. Tomlin's future with the Steelers is probably tied directly to KP's development as a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers way on the field is run the ball, play tough defense.

I’m not sure we do much of that anymore.

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    did you watch the 2nd half of the season? They did plenty of running the ball better and played good defense.

The Steelers way is to win IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should be playing an easier schedule in 2023 than they played in 2022, we should see improvement from Pickett and Pickens, this team won 9 games with TJ and Kazee missing almost half the season. They just need to win 1-2 more games next year to make the playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We were in a AFC championship in 2017. You act like that was a decade ago. LoL

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know how many times I have to break this down. The Patriots were a bad match up for us. Just like the Carolina Panthers , and the Raven were a bad match up for the Patriots.
    Again You 1st play to beat Your Division. That's why Belichick never changed His team to play the Ravens, or the Panthers.
    You don't change Your team to maybe play a team once a year, or maybe later. Does You No good if You can't even get there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hahahaha. LoL. Thanks ....that made Me laugh so hard. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Shh, don’t include facts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    They beat AJ McCarron and only because they got 30 yards of penalties on the final play.

17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Tomlin has not had a good coaching staff for the last half dozen years, not since LeBeau and Haley at least. give him better coordinators and lets see what he can do. Canada should've been let go by now and they should've looked into promoting Flores to replace Austin.

18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nope - Tomlin moved us away from that. Wanted to turn Ben into Manning and Brady, and he was not that...

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    "give" him? is he NOT BRIGHT enough to see this and GO OUT and get them? it's a Rooney and Tomlin problem.

it will continue

21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    exactly

that game was an embarrassment as well for this organization, lucked into that win (typical Bungles and Burfict / PacMan implosion) and in playing that next week. We have underachieved for years under this leadership.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That was the year before.... 2015.

In 2016.... Steelers beat the Dolphins and Chiefs before losing to the Patriots in AFCCG.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes, he had the year wrong, but got the competition correct......that was a miserable performance.

the year before, we hosted the Rats at Heinz. I was all excited, got a call that AM from a friend that had a ticket, drove up from Baltimore - and we laid a big fat turd to an inferior Rats team

it goes on and on....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree. Steelers have been piss poor in the playoffs recently under Tomlin and Roethlisberger.

25. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022
    I understand what you're trying to say here, Steelvision, but wouldn't the assistant coaching staff & coaching employees on payroll be under the province of responsibility of the Head Football Coach? I mean, hell, Dumblin is down on the ground at the Senior Bowl scouting talent, he's sends Tweets on behalf of the Steelers, he talks more BS than a Japanese radio, and he's become the singular talking head of the Organization for many, many years...isn't it now safe to say that he controls who his coaches are?

It kinda gets old, too, because when the Steelers lose, miss the playoffs, or fail to reach their objective of a Championship, it's ALWAYS guys like Canada or Butler or Haley or whoever that gets thrown under the bus by many folks in Pittsburgh, but it NEVER seems to be the fault of the Head Coach! It begs the question...why the hell is that? :shrug:

#firetomlin

• Agree Agree x 1