1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger's contract

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Art Rooney II said they would like to probably do a extension with Ben he said it might not happen this year though. I don't understand why not do it now, the team only have a little over 6 million in cap space :facepalm:. Ben has a cap hit of over 23 million, they could lower that to 13 million or so. With only 6 million in cap space good luck in signing any decent free agents, that 6 million will be needed to sign the rookie class.

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I really wish Ben would take a pay cut. I know it won't happen, but man hed really help the franchise if he did and further endear himself to all. All restructuring does is kick the can down the road. I realize he don't have a supermodel wife that out earns him and I wouldn't expect him to take less than what he's earned.
    Hell I'll bet most of if not all of us could even afford to ponder taking a hit to benefit whomever employs us but if it was beneficial to personal goals I.e. Legacies, Super Bowls, endorsement deals due to the success that could come from it etc... As well as beneficial for the company line. would you do it?

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is a tough argument because there is no right or wrong. Do you blame him if he doesn't take a cut? As a fan, yes. As a realist (not withstanding what dobbler said)? Maybe not. It is too easy to sit back and say because he makes so much it is easy for him to take a cut. Really? I don't pay his bills or live his lifestyle. Making what he does, seems to me he should be able to afford to, but who the heck am I? No, really, who am? I'm having a senior moment here...help me out?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not suggesting he take a pay cut, that's the going rate for franchise QBs, the only one who makes less is Brady.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Did you guys see the contracts Cousins, Grappallo got? Big Ben is coming cheap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    They’ve lost control of the QB contracts. The total cap $177 mill, these guys are commanding 16% of the total budget. Your looking at almost $60 million to have a top QB, RB and WR on the same team. They should follow the NBA and allow you to spend as much as you want on players you drafted and cap what you can spend on FA ‘s

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If this happens, then the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants... AKA... large market teams would be the only teams competing for Super Bowls. Steelers would be like the Pirates are now... no hope for a title. The salary cap sucks, but it keeps the Joneses and Snyders of the NFL from monopoly power.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I understand the need for a cap to try and keep things equal. I’m saying keep what you draft and cap free agency. That would not favor those rich teams, instead it would require them to draft needs rather than buy players. There should be an emphasis on good drafting and development. Teams like Denver draft like crap and buy teams.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That sounds good in theory, but a new CBA would have to be agreed upon. Most players like to have the option to become a free agent after being drafted and playing out their rookie contracts. The owners would love this... players, not so much.

10. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I think they will have to do something soon. They are destroying the game and careers. Teams draft players, force them in or never give them a chance. The Lynch kid was taken in the first round, Denver played him 2 quarters and gave up on him. Same thing with Kisor in Cleveland: draft, throw away and buy other players while collecting more high draft picks to ruin. They’ll lose again this year and get another first pick. They won’t develop a line or anything, they simply draft who Mel Kiper tells them to. They should make the top 10 picks a lottery also, the tanking is horrible.

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    And what have he guts like Stafford, Ryan, flacco, Kirk cousins, etc.. won? Funny How the qb making the least in terms of franchise qbs is the one winning the most

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That' one problem we have. Seems we can't admit when we failed on a player. We will hold on to dear life if someone who was drafted by us regardless of how bad They are.

13. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    And that’s why we never pick first. We win consistently through conservative personnel decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I see alot of you saying #7 comes cheap, if Ben plays out his contract, the Rooney's will have paid him

over 200 million dollars. That my friends is not cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    When you consider sam bradford with questionable knees is going to be a 20M cap hit for the cards this year, bens 23M cap hit is a bargain..........

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    And Ben has taken this team to 3 superbowls and won 2 lombardis, compare what we got for 200M to sam Bradfords 130 M in his 8 year career, where he only started in 48 games and was on IR the rest of the time, or carson palmer who made as much money during his career and never made it to one SB, I think we made out pretty good with Ben compared to these other high paid QBs, it remains to be seen if if cousins will ever earn his money with a superbowl win and in the final analysis we paid a winner to get us the big wins while other QBs got paid for doing nothing.......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You dont got the totality of it though. The cousins, garopollos, Staffords, etc.. have all NEVER BEEN PAID. This is all these guys first contract that's considered a pay day. Nothing wrong with while you are young getting the first big pay day but Ben has already made a good amount of money. At this point in his career he should be thinking about winning. Brady no longer is worried about money just winning and even manning took a pay cut in Denver so they could add more pieces you're acting like those guys have made the same amount of money as Ben already has...

18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    And thus...why it will never happen!

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cousins got around 45 million the last 2 seasons, and Stafford is past his rookie contract he got paid before his current deal.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're comparing 45 million to over 100 million?

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wasn't trying to compare 2008 numbers to 2018 numbers. Quite a difference, League raising cap limits etc.

All i was getting at is Ben R has been highly compensated his whole career. He has been a good QB I just hope he can hold up?

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Stafford's new contract also will keep him on pace to become the highest career earner in NFL history. He was one of the last two beneficiaries (Sam Bradford was the other) of the old CBA that gave rookies the ability to negotiate large contracts before stepping foot on the field. Stafford’s rookie contract paid him $72 million, which is more than double what the 2017 No. 1 pick earned. If Stafford plays out this next contract, which is likely given his age, he will have earned $262 million for his career.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    45 million for 2 years is good money :shrug:

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol 8 million for 2 years is good money. But in that world 45 million isn't 100 million.

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What are these "free agents" you speak of?