1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger era successful with only 2 championships?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, May 4, 2019.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I hear this all the time, the Steelers have AMAZING! Talent, but they underachieved. Perhaps the talent was overrated , especially by the fans.

Look at the 4 guys you listed, they're great talents, but they are all flawed too. Bell missed lots of games ,including playoff, due to injury, suspension and hold out. Bryant missed even more. I don't care how much talent you have if you can't get on the field, what good is it. Brown is, was and always has been a me guy, remember his BS 5-catch 50 yd streak that was so important to him? And Ben plays sandlot ball too much and get careless.

At their best, all are great players, but you also get their worst as part of the package. Sometimes the negatives outweigh the positives, for Bryant and Brown (at the end) this was certainly the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Great point

With a better coaching staff and a better culture, I think the steelers would have at least been close to winning a super bowl .... The steelers have not even been close to go in the super bowl, which is my biggest frustration

Only 1 AFC title game and this game has not even been close.

Many say it was because of the dominance of the pats, but they just played against the pats once in the playoffs in the last few years, so that's not an excuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The reason being is that we were at our best playing good D, running the ball and limiting Ben’s attempts. It was true then and it’s still true now. Keep your 5,000yds and balance the offense.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Look familiar?

1990-1999

After closing out the ’80s on a sour note, the Dolphins returned to the playoffs in 1990 to kick off the most successful decade in franchise history in terms of reaching the postseason.

It was during this time that, according to wide receiver O.J. McDuffie, who spent his entire NFL career with the Dolphins from 1993 to 2000, the team established a newfound Super Bowl-or-bust mentality as Miami reached the playoffs a franchise-record seven times.

"Every single year we thought we had a chance," McDuffie told FOXSportsFlorida.com "You’ve got coach Shula, you’ve got Dan Marino and a lot of other (good) guys on that team, especially on our defense at that time. We always thought we had a chance.

"We always counted on making the playoffs. We knew we were going to make the playoffs. It wasn’t even a question like it’s been lately. We never said ‘hopefully we can get in’ or ‘hopefully we can get a wild card’. We always knew that we were going to get to the playoffs. That was our mentality and we always thought we had a team good enough to make it to the Super Bowl."

Unfortunately, Miami’s championship dream of the ’90s never came to fruition

5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The Miami Dolphins with Marino was mostly a one-man team during the Marino era.I mean, the dolphins were awful to run the football and ugly to stop the run, especially in the playoffs.

The steelers had more talent, 10 pro bowl players in 2017 and lost 45-42 against Blake Bortles ..... 6 pro bowl players last year, not enough for Tomlin to make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good enough for a non losing record though :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No... I consider the last 10 years to be total waste, due to piss poor coaching and poor drafting of defensive players. Steelers had above average talent from 2014 to 2017 and wasted a good 4 season window to win at least 1 Super Bowl. I give Tomlin a pass for the Tebow debacle due to many injuries at the time and the 2015 defeat in Denver for the same reason. The rest of the playoff failures were due to underachieving, lack of preparation and attention to details by players and coaches. The numerous losses to sub-par teams which started 10 years ago in the 2009 season has plagued this team and there's been no improvement to remedy these lackluster performances against teams the Steelers should defeat handily.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    put it on a shirt lol.

'Mike Tomlin'
    -1 championship
    -12 non losing seasons.
    -Greatness

Damn just realized he has been here for awhile lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    no excuse for the Jax/Baltimore playoff losses, and missing 2018 playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

The steelers have missed the playoffs 4 times under Tomlin .... In each times, the steelers lost against a very weak Oakland Raiders team despite a great game by Ben in 3 of his games ..... And 3 of the 4 times that the steelers missed the playoffs under Tomlin, the steelers missed the playoffs by one game, so the losses against the Raiders were a killer every time and it's very frustrating.

As I said, it's not just because we did not win the super bowl that we are frustrating, it's the fact that we've never been close to win one since 2011.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so let me first say I am happy as heck with 2 championships and happy to have a future HOF franchise QB. Is it a success I will say yeah but where I think some opinions differ is it could have been dominate with at least 2 more rings. This isn't on Ben it is on all, Tomlin, KC, position coaches and injuries.

Since our last SB our offense has been outstanding however our defense keeps taking steps back for what it once was. All this with having a defensive minded HC. I am not dumping on MT and I am not taking blame away from Ben. The NFL is not easy other than the Pat's who has won as much as us over the Ben era? We do take for granted winning cause we have done a lot of it, but I will say when you have this much talent it is expected. JMO

I feel that we are just as every bit as good as the Pats and we could have won just as much and that is why I feel we can have so much more. Is it a success absolutely, do I think we could have had more 100% I do. Going through there is a lot of people placing blame here and there and I get it. There are others who don't like it if you blame one of their players but the cold truth is if you don't win the SB there has to be a reason and 31 other teams have reasons. It don't mean you can't point them out, like I said right off the bat there is a lot of people to blame not just one.......and not just one should get the credit for winning 2 SB's in that time as well. This is a team game, jmo

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Big Ben is not retired yet. Until then, his story is not a forgone conclusion. I can state what has happened via an album name:

"So Far, So Good, So What?"

:guitarplayer:

13. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Dude get real........... LMFAO cause a player from the team thought they had a chance at a sbl? Dolphins never had a chance at winning a sbl.... OJ mcduffie lolo I live in NY and the giants players are talking sbl... There friggin horrible

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Dolphins had some damn good teams in the 80s and even into the 90s. Don Shula is one of the finest coaches to ever coach in the NFL. At least Marino had that. What does Ben have, Mike Tomlin? The Broncos teams you spoke of earlier were also pretty stacked, and also had a legandary coach. Either you didn't follow the NFL closely at that time, or you dont know what your'e talking about.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Bro.. In the entire, 100 year history of the NFL, only 4 quarterbacks have won more than 2 Super Bowls. 4!!! That's all. Brady, Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikman. That should go to show you just how hard it is to win more than 2. Think of how many quarterbacks have played this game in the last 100s years. Then imagine that Ben is tied for 5th in all time Super Bowl wins. We all want more than that. I get it. But history shows that Ben's career has been a huge success.

• Like Like x 2
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The 90's Dolphins were the polar opposite of the 90's Steelers. Steelers had everything BUT a QB. Dolphins had a great QB, but little else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    If you think those miami dolphin teams were any good then you are the clueless one.. Don shula was ****ting his diaper on the sideline in the marino era... They could not wait for him to retire and then finally forced him out.... Marino took the league by storm and had to play the seahwks and the steelers to get embarrassed by niners and then the next year they got demolished by a garbage patriots team and we know what happened to them in sbl.... After that any year they even made playoffs they got demolished in first game.......... Those teams were all marino... Broncos had more defensive talent but there offense was all elway.... I watched every play of every nfl playoff game since 1977..............

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016

100 percent

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A lot of CASH MONEY HOMEY for 2.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Do I get pissy, absolutely but since I'm an avid Pirate fan what the Steelers and Penguins have accomplished I can't complain.

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Shula was considered a coaching God but he never built a team to go along with Central Catholic (I was 3 years ahead of Marino in that High School) grad Dan Marino.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why didn't they win more than 1 Super Bowl then under Cowher?

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They had Ben Tate at RB off the street against the Ravens, he couldn't hold onto a pass that got intercepted early in that game :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Again, it's not just the super bowl the problem...This is the fact that we have never been close to at least participate in the SB since 2011.

Only 3 playoffs wins since 2011 despite the talent and the steelers could easily have just 1 playoff win in the last 8 years.

Under Cowher, the steelers were often in the AFC title game(6 times in 15 years....2 times in 3 years with Ben,2 times in 4 years with Neil and 2 times in 5 years with Kordell) and they were close to going to the super bowl in 1994, 1997 and 2001 and very close to winning the super bowl in 1995, despite being 10 Points underdog against the Cowboys and in 2004, the steelers had a 15-1 season with a rookie QB.How many times have we said that we were close to winning something big with Tomlin? ... The last time was in 2010.

Cowher did more with less, despite having no franchise QB for 12 of his 15 years.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Blah blah save your excuses, Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Hostetler all won Super Bowls :shrug:.