1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger era successful with only 2 championships?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Go 'lers, May 4, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m sure to get a few “disagrees” with this statement: I absolutely believe that Ben would have at least had his 4th SB appearance (and Tomlin his 3rd) a couple of years ago but for two incidents that derailed the season. The first was Shazier’s injury. The void that his injury left was lethal for our defense that season, and absolutely killed us vs. the Jags in the playoffs. The second was the BS overturned Jesse James TD vs. the Pats. If we get that TD, we get the #1 seed, and I feel pretty good that we would have at least turned that into a SB appearance - even without Shazier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher players didn't have social media back then, we have seen AB make a fool of himself often on social media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    For sure. My point, although prob not clear, was that superstars can't carry a team and its really dependent on all the players. All of them working together as a team, regardless of their skill set, is a special thing which is a major component of championships.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hey I've made a fool of myself on social media too, I mean, did you see my mock draft :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It would seem no QB can win 6 like Brady. Or even 5.

Active QBs other than Tom Terrific: Eli, Ben 2; Flacco, Rodgers, Brees, Foles, Wilson : one apiece.
    A lot of old guys here, maybe one of them grabs another, but I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe Wilson grabs another, maybe Pat Mahomes wins 2-3. That's a lot of maybes.

Only getting 2 titles doesn't really seem to be that dissapointing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    True, but they've lost 3 AFCCGs during Ben entire career, which is the last decade as well.

7. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I would say no cause after the way it started.... We had the talent to at least get to another one and I think i lot of that was on Ben.... I am still annoyed how the packers bowl ended... H really stunk up that last drive.......

8. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016

Come on... That is horrible point...... Marino was the whole friggin team and always had worse defense in the league... Elway was the whole friggin team and still went to 3 sbls before he finally had help ( and he played against much better teams in the 3 he lost).... favre for most of his prime had to get by the cowboys and niners who were head and shoulders better and He would have won atleast one more sbl if he didnt throw some boneheaded picks in the playoffs... Steelers since bens rookie year have been top 2 teams to make it to the sbl every friggin year in the AFC...........

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ok, how many titles should this team have won during Ben's time? What years? And why didn't they?

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It's not an excuse.

I mean, the steelers have been a real circus in the last few years and it had become out of control and it was just a matter of time before the team implode....The Culture and leadership in the lockerroom were much better under Cowher, social media or not.

11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The problem is not the fact that the steelers have not won a super bowl in the last 10 years, the problem is that the steelers have not been far as they would have been able.

Some losses in the playoffs were embarrassing like in 2011 and 2017 or when they missed the playoffs when they were one of the best teams on paper in the NFL like in 2009 and 2018.

Again, I'm not only talking about Roethlisberger but about the team in general.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would also point out how many of those years was Ben running for his life (or was thrown to the ground) behind a horrible O line. Granted he even stated at times he held the ball to try and make plays, but still year after year he took a lot of abuse.

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I would agree. There are different approaches. A few seasons Ben did appear a bit (uh hum) pudgy, lol.
    In similar fashion to Bradshaw being labeled a 'dumb QB", at a time he was calling his own plays.

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    2018..best team on paper? Are you kidding me?

15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    One of the best teams, not the best, but on paper, this team were good enough to make the playoffs or at least win against a very weak Oakland Raiders team on the road in a must win game.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So you disagree that its a team effort? Or that Ben wins another?

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Don't disagree that it's a team effort. And I very much doubt that Ben, or more accurately the team over the next few years, win another SB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hey I can't blame you for feeling that way.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think basketball is the only sport that can win with just having superstars. You need 2 though, can't do it with just one.

Who were the AB and Bell players on those teams though? Cowher never had to deal with that. Thats part of the reason he never wanted a star QB, he knew what egos could do to a team and how hard it is to coach them.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, I'll add sand volleyball and doubles tennis and certain beer pong tournaments in unnamed cities across the US. And maybe curling. Peter vanmystickeniscold can get it done. Dude was a legend, I think they did a 30 for 30 :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It's not a horrible point. People take for granted how incredibly hard it is to win a Super Bowl. It's not just Ben. It's whats around Ben in each given year. Ben has been to 3 and won 2. There are a lot of QBs in the Hall of Fame that can NOT say the same.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I also blame MT for Ben not winning more Superbowls.
    The team MT inherited was to good to not have won more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Funny thing, Ben had bad OLs early in his career, but his best OL has been over the last 5-7 yrs. their playoff sucess stopped about the same the OL got good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Was Ben's era a success? Certainly. However, I believe with the talent we had: Ben, Brown, Bell, Miller, Pouncey, Harrison, Polamalu, etc., the Steelers underachieved with the talent they had. There should be at least another Lombardi in the Steelers showcase. The offense we had with Bell, Brown, Ben, and Bryant should have been unstoppable.

Until the recent Penguins' Stanley Cup success winning the last two Cups, wouldn't you have felt with Sid and Geno having won only a Stanley Cup and one other final, would have been an underachievement?

Looking at back with Mario and Jagr, two Stanley Cups and no other time making to the finals seems like an underachievement, and winning a championship in any sport isn't easy.

25. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016

Ben has had a few teams the last 10 years that should have won a sbl... Your point is marino and his teams pretty much stunk and only made playoffs cause of marino and would get blown out of the water in the first game... Elway... bad point... He went to 5 friggin sbls... these steelers teams have had overwhelming talent to those teams mentioned..........