1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Road warriors -- Nothing but upside, baby....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Jan 2, 2012.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I've probably been as critical as anyone about some of our team shortcomings this year (even in week 17, still scratching my head a bit about the decision not to take the holding that would have put the Browns out of field goal range and the decision to NOT run on 3rd and 2 with 2 minutes left after the Browns had thrown away their last timeout at 2:43 -- somebody needs to teach some of these coaches some remedial math about how 40-second clocks work and how taking your last timeout with 2:43 and the clock running is about the stupidest thing you can do), but we once again get the privilege of watching our boys in the playoffs, and we certainly have the talent (if not always the intelligence) to make some noise this year as well. Even though the situation was different, the road to Super Bowl XL had us needing to win in Indianapolis and it turned out to be one of the most memorable (and gut-wrenching) wins in our history. Who knows what this year will bring (except for, I'm sure, some more gut-wrenching moments), but at least we'll be in there fighting while 10 other teams in our conference hit the sofas.

As I was watching the screens between the Benglas-Ravens game and Steelers-Browns, I couldn't help but think the Freakonomics report I read on NFL.com that suggests referees are inclined to give more calls to the home team due to 'societal influences' certainly didn't apply to the Bengals. The call that I always marvel at is 'illegal contact' and WHEN it is called. Though I haven't read the rule, it would APPEAR to have to do with contact made 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Furthermore, it would appear from most of the highlights you see, illegal contact happens on EVERY SINGLE PLAY!!!!! However, since it isn't called on every single play, it's easy to draw a conclusion that if a referee calls it, say.... on 3rd and 9 on a 'touch' (this happened in the Ravens game, although I could be remembering the details a little incorrectly), that the official must therefore be favoring one team over the other. You could never convince me that's the case (except maybe for Pete Morelli) but it would certainly appear, then, that luck has been on the Ravens side (I saw similar bailouts in the Seahawks game here on the West Coast). Hopefully their 'luck' will run out once again as the playoffs start because as close as their wins have been, an uneven distribution of.....'luck'...... could make a big difference.

But now's not the time to be thinking about the Ravens.... It's all about beating the Broncos. Season starts next week. ENJOY!!!!!!! GO STEELERS!

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It would be sweet to rip the heart out of the Ravens and Pats in their own stadiums. Suggs might actually lose it and be admitted to the psycho ward if that would happen...and after that get a little revenge for the AFC Championship games against the Pats??!!!???!

3. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    **** YEAH! LETS GO TEAR UP THE BRONCOS!

LETS GO STEELERS! :rawk:

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    here we go steelers here we go

5. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :beathorse: Time to kill those BRONCOS :herewego!: :herewego!: :herewego: :herewego: :drinks:

6. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Being from Montana (mostly Bronco fans) I haven't heard one peep from anyone there. My brother in law and sister have season tickets for the Broncos and they are usually talking crap right about now......but nothing this year.

The Steelers should/will distroy the Broncos....I'm usually worried about any game they play, but I just don't see how the Broncos can beat the Steelers. The Steelers can beat the Steelers, but unless they give the game away they will win by 3TD's.

7. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Right there with you. The only thing probably exciting bronco fans at this point is that STEELERS fans typically pay a fair premium for tickets on eBay. I've been to the last few regular season games in Denver and the atmosphere is pretty good for visiting fans. Not making the trip this time as I'm still holding out hope for the impossible dream where we play the bengals at HEINZ for the afc championship -- a trip I would definitely make from the west coast. Yeah, I know.....but the kool-aid tastes good.....

8. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    Yes, and then go on to win the super bowl. That would be awesome!!

Lets go Steelers!!! :yeehaw: