1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Tom Petty

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Just saw that Tom Petty passed away today. He was 66.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That's a crushing blow.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I guess his death was falsely reported. Apparently he's still clinging to life.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lets hope he recovers. Been enough bad news today.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately it looks like his death is inevitable, unless of course the reports of his minimal brain activity are incorrect.

I regret greatly that I never went to see him. Local radio stations in my area are playing non-stop Tom Petty songs and it just occurred to me today how much I love his songs. I always knew I liked him, but I didn't realize until today just how many of his songs I absolutely love. Been to hundreds of concerts over the years, but unfortunately, his was never one of them.

I'm hoping for a miracle of some kind. Perhaps we can trade all the Kardashians for Tom Petty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Tom Petty is one of those artists that I've never bought an album, but I've always enjoyed when his songs come on the radio.

They are now reporting that he didn't make it.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Official now, he passed away last night.

Like Shaner, I regret never getting to see him. He was a heck of a musician.

RIP Tom Petty.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Great musician. Great legacy.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ugh another good one. Gonna post my favorite song as dedication. losing too many legends

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Here's one of mine.

For me, he was one of those underrated musicians. You liked more of his songs than you realized, and I probably wouldn't think to buy one of his albums or go to a concert.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    RIP

We lost another great. And much too soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bingo. For some reason, it never occurred to me to go see him in concert. Like you said, I didn't even realize how much I enjoyed his music. I've been listening to him non-stop the last 24 hours and he really is one of the greatest artists of all time.

On a similar note, while listening to many of his songs on youtube, I got jumping around a little bit and got listening to a bit of Meat Loaf too. Man that guy can really sing and the passion he puts into his music is incredible. Another underrated artist. Next time he tours I'm going to see him before it's too late.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Petty's mentor of sorts was Roger McGuinn of Byrds fame (who in turn worshiped Dylan - duh). Petty joined McGuinn around 1990 on McGuinn's "Back From Rio" CD. Here's one of their collaborations "King of the Hill"- can you tell them apart vocally? It's just a static YouTube image of the two on stage with the song - can't find a live version of the two of them for this song. I've always liked this tune a lot. RIP Tom.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Couple of my favorites.

• Like Like x 2
  15. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I have been listening to some Tom Petty non-stop the last few weeks. Amazing talent.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    My wife saw him in concert at ACL 2006. Said it was pouring rain and thundering late at night and he came on jamming and soloing flawlessly

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was fortunate enough to see him in Denver when he was touring with Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam played first and there was a lot of inaudible lyrics by Vedder. Yes, he does that on purpose to some songs like "Black" but I'm just sayin' (and I'm a huge PJ fan).

But when Petty came on, it was like listening to a CD. Him and the band were so tight and the sound was amazing. And like many of you have stated, it was hit after hit. Probably my 2nd favorite concert. First being the Black Keys before they got big and I was 2nd row. Watching Patrick Carney up close on the drums is badazz.

edit: thinking more of Yellow Ledbetter than Black but you get my drift lol

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Probably my favorite as well. I'm no musician by any stretch, but I've always thought the Sons of Anarchy theme song "This Life" had parts that sounded like this song.