1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Glen Campbell!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by blountforcetrauma, Aug 8, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    An American icon and one of the greatest musicians to ever live died from Alzheimer's today. I knew that he had been suffering from this for years and some time ago I watched a movie called "I'll Be Me" which is a documentary about his condition. One of the saddest movies I've ever seen. What a terrible disease. Another member of the Wrecking Crew gone. Sad.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was just going to post this - agree with all you said - check out some of his guitar solos on YouTube - unbelievable! Especially love his William Tell Overture guitar solo with the Philharmonic Orchestra I have the same acoustic Ovation guitar as he played - but at only about .1% of his talent and speed. Gentle on My Mind was the song that helped me develop my syncopated picking style that I used for many years on a variety of songs and music genres. God Bless Glen and happy for he and his family that all his demons and afflictions are finally behind him now.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah Gentle on my Mind is the bomb. It's easily the definitive version of the song. Of course Wichita Lineman is great too. When you play with Brian Wilson you aint no slouch. One of my favorite solos I ever heard him play was when he done a live version of Galveston with Steve Wariner (another virtuoso). He played this George Benson type descending lick that was just face melting. My dad's buddy used to have an Ovation and I always loved playing that thing. I'm a Strat man all the way but Ovation is one acoustic that I've always enjoyed picking up. They're pretty versatile really. Although Glen Campbell could play a light pole if it had strings on it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017