1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP David Bowie

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Wasn't a huge fan, but loved a few of his songs. He had a very distinctive voice and style. At least his songs live on.

18 month battle with cancer. He was 69. (I truly thought he was older)

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    RIP.

I wasn't a big fan either, but he was an icon. I thought he was older, too.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm a much bigger fan now. :)

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Same here. There are a few Bowie songs that I really, really like, but other than that I never listened to his music much. Loved the movie Labyrinth when I was a kid.

5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I oftened wondered if his ex- wife Angie, left Dave for catching him and Jagger dancin' in the sheets.

Never cared for his music.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Huge fan, very talented musician. A true loss

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    great artist he will be missed

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Rest in peace, David.

9. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    He changed his style of music amongst different genres. Not all his music was liked but he wasn't scared to take chances. Never played it safe.

I like some of his work but respect him greatly. His influence was huge. RIP Ziggy Stardust

• Like Like x 2
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Never a huge fan but respected him as a person and artist - did like when he used Stevie Ray as his lead guitarist like on China Girl. He made a guest appearance when I saw David Gilmour tour about 8 years ago (one of last times with Rick Wright on keyboards before he passed) and Bowie sang first lead on Comfortably Numb and did his best Syd Barrett impression on Arnold Layne - only time Floyd or Gilmour ever played this classic in concerts that I attended (about a dozen). He was like Alice Cooper and Marlyn Manson, very normal and down to earth out of costume and makeup but their acts were all a wee bit strange for me.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He helped launch the career of my boyhood hero Stevie Ray Vaughan and for that reason alone I will be forever grateful to him. He saw Stevie play a set at Montreux Jazz Festival and was so impressed that he asked if he would play on his next record and tour with him as well. Stevie said no because he was committed to making it with Double Troube. Stevie played on China Girl and Let's Dance. Although Bowie then pretended in the video that he was the one playing all the Albert King licks on Let's Dance and that really ticked off Stevie. But still. Also The Man Who Sold the World, Changes, Fame, and Bring Me The Head of the Disco King are all cool songs. He also played Tesla in The Prestige and that movie was awesome.

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've heard that he did have relationships with both sexes. I don't know if that's actually true or not.

13. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Their was much in print when the story broke..I never pursued the authenticity, but even today google leaves tracks on the alleged incident. Bowie did crave same sex as you indicated, so it was never hard for me to believe. He and Mick both had a twisted life style though each their own!!

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Another icon lost. RIP, Bowie.