1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Righty tighty, lefty loosie

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 31, 2022.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/k...ke-wiping-your-behind-with-the-opposite-hand/

seems like our line is struggling with which side we need them to play. dotson isn't quite the same on the left. daniels played on the right in chicago in his final season but left guard his first 3. is chuks the problem to all of this? is it they want to cover chuks with daniels on the right as opposed to dotson? is chuks having his troubles because of playing on the right side? we know moore wasn't as good on the right last year in camp.

where does green fit? i think he played mostly on the left in college. cole can play guard too, just not sure which side is his best.

this does happen sometimes. some guys take to moving to the other side and some don't. i hope they figure it out. :cool:

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :facepalm: clickbait

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just great. Now I have to attempt that:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And are the results in

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are going to clone Leglue for every position. They will stick to the defenders :lolol:

How about we see how it plays out first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

he is in the mix. https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/d...o-the-group-this-offseason-had-to-get-better/

may the best 5 play. new coach getting familiar with these guys. new guys getting familiar with each other. players getting familiar with new coach. i still think it will be much better than last year. we may even see another tackle brought in before the season starts i believe. the process won't be determined until latrobe. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Switching from the right to left side is far more difficult than people think. Wiping with the other hand is an accurate analogy.

Some guys can do it without much difficulty. To others it is like re-learning to walk.

Lineman spend a good bit of time working on their first, second, and third, steps in drills. When you switch sides everything is the opposite. If you are firing out of your stance, and your first step is with the right foot, and you are throwing the right forearm, that is completely reversed when you are on the opposite side.

It is almost like writing with your off hand. Sure you can do it, and if you do it enough, you can get pretty good at it. But it takes a long time to be as good at it as you are your strong hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

He is closer to being in the mix for first cuts then anything else

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    That's why i hope Bidet makes the team.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    [​IMG] :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Leglue will stick, but Joe Haeg needs to get packing.

12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Wipe Right. Wipe Left.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That seems a bit extreme. I get that all OL positions are not the same and different guys will have a natural position. But relearning how to walk?

14. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think the movement is nothing more than finding out versatility. As in, if an injury happens how locked in are we with needing to keep a starter there. Can Dotson kick over?!
    Can green start at R L C?

I think this is nothing more than, let's get them uncomfortable and see how quickly they adjust. Kinda like beta testing software.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    All I know is last year they were constantly talking about how much of a better LT Chuk was going to make because his skill set was really not cut out to be a starting RT. This is why Banner was head and shoulders a better RT than Chuks during the 2020 preseason, and again won the starting RT position from Chuks in the 2021 preseason.

In 2020 PFF Chuks was graded as the 70th best tackle in the league out of 64 Starting tackles. The Steelers said they believed Chuks would turn it around in 2021 by playing LT. Unfortunately Banner went down and rookie Moore, couldn't play RT to save his life.

Well here we are going into 2022 and Chucks is once again assigned to the starting RT position, despite all the talk from the Steelers the last 2 years about how much better of a LT Chucks would make.

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maybe a better analogy would be walking into a fight as a right handed fighter, and having to fight southpaw.

Say you are a right tackle, and you are cup blocking. You would be maintaining outside contain with your right shoulder and right hip. Assuming you are right handed this is perfectly natural to you as this is your strong side.

Now flip that, and bump to left tackle. Now you have outside contain stepping off your left foot, and using your left hip and shoulder.

If you don't have to do it often, It can be difficult. It is not that the strength isn't there, it's that the muscle memory isn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Most can relearn, but there are some....for some reason.. that never can.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1