1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Revis Island in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 25, 2017.

1. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Arizona State?

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Revis is one of the best corners to ever play the game. From ~2007-2013 he was as dominant as any defensive player in the game. And NONE of that matters in the conversation we are having right now.

I'm confused. If you DON'T know the reason for his total crap season he just had... how can you be certain he'll bounce back to being a top CB next year?

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Mentally he still has it. Technique wise he still has it. At 32 he is on the wrong side of desired age BUT how is he physically? Really? Darrell Green was pushing 40. If he isn't injuryed his production shouldn't drop off sharply like 2016 suggest. The Jets were a bad team. The defense was bad and his secondary teammates were bad.

What we Know is Stats but that doesn't tell the whole story. I refuse to believe one season stats outweighs history and predicts the immediate future.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Appalachian State in Boone N.C. ..

5. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I don't really know how to judge if he "mentally" still has it. I watched him last year, and he looked pretty demoralized. Hanging his head after getting beat a lot.

Technique wise... I think that's a bit debatable, and tied to his physical ability. He played far less press last year.
    Physical/Speed... This is the big question mark. Usually when this element starts to fade (whether due to injury or not), it's simply not recovered. We saw it with Troy.

Stats are facts. Stats and Tape are powerful, you choose to believe something else. You're creating a story... to believe in. Your story could turn out to be true... maybe he does turn back the clock at 32. But I wouldn't bet on it.

(note... the in laws are Jets fans... I unfortunately watch a lot of Jets games)

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    2 years at the right price. I'm in. At the right price being key. No need to over pay the man. His best days are behind him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This post at first glance was really confusing for a second :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Again, it'll take moe than one season to convince me he's finished. I absolutely can see him feeling demoralized playing for the jets last year. He claims to be 10 lbs lighter than what he played at last year and said he'll run the 40 for anyone needing to see it. He was elite, maybe motivated and on the right team he's still very very good.

I like stats but judging a player on stats is like drafting a player on combine numbers. You need the film but that doesn't tell the whole story . Justin Gilbert had the numbers and college tape but not "wanting it" or committed to doing all hat it takes to succeed ended it with him.

I don't think Revis will ever be an All-Pro again but it'll take a poor 2017 to convince me maybe he's finished.

I don't think he'll sign with a non-playoff caliber team and it'll have to be at least 8mil per year. If not I could see him walking away from the game.

Cajun

9. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Im cool with Revis as our starting FS, while we draft another he can help groom.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I look at it like this....there is no point arguing and using statistics that don't always tell the whole story. If we can make a deal work in our favor I say roll the dice. It's not like we have much better options anyway. Attitude goes a long was in being successful at any job....just think how he felt going from a SB winning franchise back to the same crap one that drafted him:smiley1:. I know it's his fault for finding his way back there but still....Its like having a job with a Fortune 500 company and ending up at McDonald's. Like I said if the right deal can be made ,then why the hell not ....its not like we haven't wasted money,draft picks and trades on CBs before....

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    If you think he's still very very good, then we should sign him for 8 million.

Hence why I said "Stats and Tape are powerful"

I watched Revis last year... he looks done.

You're telling me that because he's Revis, he might bounce back... but you're not giving me any observation or reason to buy that.

It didn't take the Jets more than a poor 2017 to convince them...

I think he'd rather pay for free (6 million guaranteed no matter what) than play for a non-playoff team for and additional 2 million.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pat and Jim were talking about Revis on Moving the Chains today, and Pat's view was that Revis needs to play this season or his career is done. Nobody is going to look at him in 2018 after a year off at his age. They think that he'll need to play for at or near the vet minimum. On the morning show on Sirius NFL radio, Ross Tucker was mentioning something about Revis indicating that he would play for the vet minimum this season, though I haven't seen that confirmed.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there has to be more to his story if the jets let a former all-pro go and were paying him 6 million dollars. something doesn't smell right for any GM or owner to do that if they thought he had something left and it was just a bad year. we are trying to get away from old and aged players why bring more back? we don't need a player to coach our DB's. :cool:

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id definitely give him a shot at vet minimum.

@mac, Jets are cleaning house. Have gotten rid of a lot more than Revis.

15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Vet minimum, hell yea count me in.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Jets were not paying Revis $6 million. They were paying him $15 million, $6 million of which was guaranteed. They saved $9 million by cutting him.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hell yeah ,count me in for vet minimum:applaud:

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Revis has collected over 100 mil in his career. Has a SB ring and will be a 1st ballot HOF...... I will be surprised if he plays for the vet min and/or a reduced role on defense.

He was ranked last year as the 64th best CB...... I think he he is better than that but maybe not top 30......

Cajun

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Revis 10 year career stats pale in comparison to Rod Woodsons first 10 years in his career, and when rod converted to safety for 5 years after 12 years at corner, he was solid still getting big pick numbers and tackles at safety, revis is no woodson......

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he will get 6 million from the Jets this season, he might consider playing for less this season.

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    What ??? Revis WILL be paid 6 million from the jets this season even if he's sitting on his couch. The only way the jets don't pay him is if someone else pays him at least 6 mil. His contract with the jets has offset language in it meaning if the steelers sign him to a 3 mil deal then the jets only owe him 3 mil. Why would he do this? He's making no more money yet risking injury. Only way he makes more than 6 mil is if another team signs him to a contract over 6mil.

He won't make the popular 10mil deal this year and won't play for less than 6.... Which is why I predict if he plays it'll be for 8 mil.

Cajun

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have watched a game there. Just one. But that's more than most.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If he is looking to play only 1 more year then yeah he might as well sit out....but if he wants to play multiple years he has to jump back in the game now to prove himself. No one is gonna offer him anything if he sits out this year and tries to come back next year. So why not play for someone for vet minimum plus Jets money with the chance to prove you are worthy of another contract. Yeah you would only be making 6 million this year but at least you give yourself a chance of making another 6 or even more next year.....

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He has stated he wants to play. He will not want to play for free on a one year deal. Therefore, what he is going to want is a 2 or more year deal with guaranteed money up front, so in essence he isn't playing for free this year. He has indicated a desire to play for the Steelers. If the Steelers had no interest they would have already said so. Therefore, the conversation is how many years and how much money up front. The up front is going to be the hard part for the Steelers to agree to. But I would bet talks are going on.