1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Revis Island in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 25, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Why are you so tough on people? Come on man....

He was followed by not so nice dudes, called a friend for help while attempting to leave. Was jumped and his friend saved him, judge said no case-goodbye.

He's only been a me 1st guy in business, trying to get paid as the best since he was....... He never has off the field issues, works at his craft hard and a proven top CB his entire career.

Right now he's better than anyone on our roster and will be for the next couple years.

Signing as a Steeler may not be a great fit but not for the attacks you place on him.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need to be able to play more Nickle and Dime that is the new trend..We need more DB'S and if he wants to play and will play cheap then bring him on..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Because he is local and played for PITT I say why not let him finish his career where it started. He is better than Gay for sure and I think he would make a decent slot corner.

4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    That's definitely not true

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Who on our roster is better than him ? If you say Ross or Gay you should be banned from the board ...A CB does need to get Int's those are called splash plays and it takes the ball away from the other Team and gives your Team a extra chance to score..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed, but he is the one who said he still wants to play for whatever reason. And I don't see him getting millions over the $6MM, so apparently he is considering essentially playing for free.

Plus another thought, the free part is only for 1 year. He may be looking for multiple years. Even with a 2 year contract he could still pick up a chunk of change on the second year.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Burns and Davis. Game should slow down for them in year 2. If they dont take a significant step from last year, thats a problem.

They should be better than an old Revis.

Ross played better than Revis did last year, by the way.

8. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Ross is better than him right now
    Artie will be better than him shortly

Look, we've established that you're an absolutely terrible judge of CBs. So here's just one little truth nugget to stew on.

Week 1: Revis vs AJ Green 8 Targets / 8 Catches / 100 yards / 1 TD
    (Note: Green actually had 12 catches for 180 in the game only 8 of them for 100 were against Revis)
    Week 2: Cockrell vs AJ Green 6 targets / 2 catches / 34 yards / 0 TDs
    (Note: Cockrell was manned up on Green for the entire day)

That Bengals game is a good reference point for the stupidity of the correlation of our Pass Yards/Pass Defense to Ross's ability. The Steelers gave up 350 yards passing in that game, but Ross completely shutdown their #1 WR.

Scary stat.... Revis, in 15 starts, had only 5 passes defensed last year, and only 9 the year before. That's terrible for a guy who primarily plays man to man. Ross has nearly twice as many over the last 2 years, and he's playing zone (less opportunity for PDs).

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually in zone a CB gets plenty of chances to defend the pass as the object is to allow the guy to seem open and then you break on the ball and make the play ..The last 3 seasons Revis had 8 ints and Ross has 2 ...Last year Ross had none ...9 passes defended and 5 picks don't leave that out...He can make splash plays better than any DB we have ,our Team needs that ...

10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Man corners have far more opportunities to "make plays on the ball" than zone corners. That's just a simple fact. And one that would make sense to anyone with even a baseline understanding of coverage schemes.

He had 1 INT last year, and 5 PDs last year.... his play fell off a cliff. He's completely lost the extra step required to stay stride for stride with a WR in man. Losing that step, eliminates his ability to make splash plays.

What you got nothing to say on the AJ Green numbers?

Revis gave up a passer rating of 109.8 last year
    I'd tell you what Cockrell's passer rating against was... but what's the point?

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Revis was hurt to start the year what did his play look like the last 6 or 7 games of the season that would be more like the player we would be getting...Man coverage is much harder to make a pick I played CB, hard to mirror a guy and look at the Qb and then out play the WR for the ball...In Zone just drop to your spot and read the QB much easier style to play ....

12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Comp %
    Revis 65.7%
    League Wide Average Among ALL CBs 61.5%

YPA
    Revis 8.9
    League Wide Average Among ALL CBs 7.1

TD %
    Revis 6.3%
    League Wide Average Among ALL CBs 4.3%

13. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Ok Pop Warner

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Better than 0 passes defended and 0 ints

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually at ASU thank you very much,and I coached at Allegheny High School the Varsity , but your websites can teach you so much more than I will ever know..

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You mean Cockrell?

He had 15 passess defensed, good for 14th in the NFL among corners... that would be 1 more than Richard Sherman, 2 more than Stephon Gilmore 3 more than Joe Haden and Xavier Rhodes, 4 more than Dre Kirkpatrick

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You lack fundamental knowledge, anyone who has been around a division I playbook can see right through you.

The data I give you, is to help you. Your terrible with tape. Your breakdown of "3rd and 18" and Cover 3 made that clear.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Whatever, I can prove what I say, just because I don't see it like guys and sites that have never played Football doesn't mean I didn't play and Coach...You probably have the wrong ASU we where a FCS school back then ...Had they played the 3rd. and 18 correct we wouldn't have anything to break down...No Defense,I repeat No defense is designed to give up 18 yards on 3rd. down....Had they played it the way I played it or the way I coached it then they wouldn't have gave up that 18 yards..

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Seen right through...

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How much would you be willing to wager that I can prove it to you?It would be great to take some of your cash and take that part of your argument away forever...

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is going well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    No I mean your boy House

23. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You don't need to prove anything else to me. Your comments on coverage and scheme tell us everything we need to know.

24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    There is a reason Revis will be a 1st ballot HOF and Ross is currently tendered an original rd tender RFA.

2015 Revis had a 3rd NFL best 56.5 opponent passer rating. His teammates were over 100.

2016 was a down season for him.... Why? Mental breakdown? Physical Breakdown? Team Breakdown?

I don't have the answers but if Revis is healthy and on a team that understands his strengths/game and it matches their defense scheme no way he isn't still a top CB in the NFL.

Ross, I like him, smart player, good tackler, limited physically and stone hands. Will never become the player Revis was/is.

Artie, has the chance to reach that level...... Revis could help him with the technique and overall understanding of what the position requires.

Revis is on a downward slope but he still has value and a solid skill set . Is he still worth 6 mil per year. Yes but he won't sign for that, I doubt he signs for 8 mil.

Cajun

25. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Did I claim that House was better than anyone on our roster (like someone claimed Revis was)? House at 3.5 would've been a good solid signing. As of today, if anyone gets injured, Al Haz-Shabajj or Senquez "I've haven't played a single snap of football in 2 years" are the guys who are next up.

House was benched. So... gotta take those stats in context.
    Revis... arguably should have been benched, but you can't really put a 15 million dollar former Pro Bowler on the bench.