1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Revis Island in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If that comes with a home town discount, Id take him. Still think he has something left or even a position change maybe.

2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Let's do it on a one year vet min kind of deal. He'd be a good influence on some of our young DBs.

4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The guy who just finished a court date that involved an Assault charge...
    The guy who has held out multiple times in his career and epitomized the "me first" culture...
    The guy who blamed his coaches and teammates all year for his bad play...

That's the guy who is going to be a good influence on our young DBs?

I'm actually all for using some cap space to try and squeeze every last possible snap out of a formerly great player at a position of need... but let's not pretend it's something that it's not. Revis isn't a good influence on anyone. He's a nearly washed up star, who just might have enough left in the tank for one more solid season.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, 1 year deal. Help hold down the position while whoever they draft gets up to speed (hopefully) and ready to go next year.

He's always been a me first guy, not expecting anything out of him other than doing his job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was referring more to on-field influence. He's obviously one of the best to ever play the position and could be effective in a player-coach type of role.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd pass on Revis if he were going to be switching positions... there's no reason to believe that he'd be an upgrade over what we have at S. He isn't gonna come here to back anyone up either (or be replaced in season by a draft pick).

It's corner or bust for him IMO. If we think he still has a year or two left in the tank at CB, then I'd at least consider it. Definitely won't be my number one option, but he could make us a little better in the short term at CB if there's still some game left in there.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The words that he said sound nice, but they contrast with the mercenary that he's been throughout his entire pro career. It's tempting to think back to how Rod Woodson (and later Charles Woodson) panned out after changing positions, but the odds aren't great. Also, probably the biggest impediment is that due to the $6 million in guarantees from the Jets, I think he'd need to be paid well over $6 million for it to be worth his while to continue playing because he gets $6 million for not playing.

I'll be surprised if anything happens.

9. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Didn't we sign an ancient Willie Williams to play CB for us during our 05 Super Bowl run? I would imagine that Revis is head and shoulders above what Willie Williams was at that point in his career.

Reading comments about this on various sites, I find it amazing how most fans have transitioned into the "madden" approach when it comes to wanting players. If their speed isn't 99, then they are worthless, right? Harrison was never fast, is almost 40, and was our best pass rusher last season. Deshae Townsend was never fast but was an ultra-consistent CB for us. Ryan Clark was never fast but was ultra-consistent for us. I think a lot of people overlook veterans who have extensive knowledge of the game as being able to be proficient starters. I would rather have someone who understands his assignment but was a bit older than someone who is younger yet is completely clueless.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I was one of the few people who were against signing him in the 2014 offseason. "Me first" players seldom last once their prime is past. Afterwards, they end up in their worst nightmare; solitude.

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Would you sign Revis for 6+ million? That's what it's gonna take.

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, when I read that the charges against him were dropped today, and he made the comment about "I would love to play for the Steelers", I immediately thought, "HELL NO!!!"...

Upon further thought, I still think, "HELL NO!!!"

He ain`t what he once was, and I really don`t want his character issues/attitude, in our locker room!

Earlier in this thread it was said, "4 years ago, maybe.."...

And that`s where I am with him.

When he was in is his prime, I MIGHT have been willing to overlook some of the "diva issues", like I do with Antonio Brown.

At this point, no way does he improve us enough, to deal with his personal baggage...

Pass on Revis, and work with what we have, and draft better CB`s and safeties!

(Maybe trade/ buy one in free agency. Not sure what`s out there, but there has to be a better fit than him.)

GO STEELERS!!!:yeehaw:

13. Nate_Starr1

Nate_Starr1 New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Revis may have been more a victim of bad Jet team Defense, although he did lose a step. Many of the broken plays with the Jets last year appeared to be miscommunication among the secondary. Revis may fueled by all the negative talk and now has something to prove, perhaps its time for him to come home at a reasonable cost and switch over to Safety. Our young secondary could utilize his knowledge and leadership. He stated that he is open to switch positions and is hungry. Both Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson have switched to Safety towards the end of there careers and both prospered at the position. Worthy of a interview.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Didn't the reporter interviewing him bring up the Steelers first? He just answered the question, not like he initiated it. I don't expect much to come of this.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If I read another article correctly, he's still owed $6MM on his old contract and theoretically the Steelers could sign him for vet minimum and Jets would offset the balance.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Damn, I forgot about the 6 million thing, saw that once before, probably from you :lolol:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Revis would play for the vet minimum then yes, otherwise not interested. Players always talk up other teams when they're looking for a contract, like Brandon Marshall saying he wanted to play for Pittsburgh.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    His skills have diminished. I don't see anyone paying him more than $6MM. Therefore, any team may as well only offer the vet minimum and let the Jets make up the rest. If he wants to play, he is basically playing for free. He may as well do it here.

21. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Would definitely give it a try for a one-year prove-everybody-wrong type of deal. Doing that in your hometown is a great way to do that too

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, but anything less than 6 million and he's playing for free essentially. The jets owe him 6 million whether he plays or not.

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What about the vet. minimum with some incentives that can be relatively easy to reach and a couple others that he would really need to prove himself? Hmmm.....I don't know if you could do it but it could be a loop hole. Would the Jets be on the hook for everything but the minimum and incentives? Say we give him minimum at about 1 million..Jets pick up the other 5 and it gives Revis the chance to earn more say up to another million tops....Just a thought....

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    On the incentive idea - I don't know the details, but for cap purposes the league considers the likelihood of incentives being achieved and not being achieved. LTBE (likely to be earned incentives) have a higher or more immediate cap impact than NLBTE (not likely to be earned) incentives. Like I said, I'm not up on the details on how they affect the cap situation, but the league does factor incentives in.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think his options have dwindled and now its his dream to play for the steelers. yea right, where was that dream up until now? it says something when a team has to pay you 6 mil. anyway and doesn't want you. mo thanks. we went to the AFCCG last year with 3 rooks on defense and a couple of PS guys. heyward is back to help the pass rush, draft a couple more speed DB's and a LB and lets roll. don't go backwards now. all the guys we got last year should have a big jump in year two. :cool: