1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Review of Scoring Plays

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RobVos, Dec 4, 2011.

1. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I just saw that in the NYG/GB game ther was a review of a scoring pass. To me it was obvious that it was incomplete and I think the replay showed it. I can garauntee that in the normal field of play it woulod have been incomplete... This is rediculous that they got that TD. there are catches where there is way more possession and the guy loses it after he is down and they call it incomplete. yet this play the guy can'thold on at all and they call it complete. What's the deal??????? :bs:

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    the incosistency is maddening ... why was the TD by the Packer confirmed but the one by the Bungle against Baltimore not?
    the overturned Bungles TD looked a lot more like control like the Packers one ...

4. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolutely, ther was a ton more control in that play vs this one. :this!:

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no dog in this game but GB keeps geeting the calls to keep them in the gane... and very questionabl;e calls at that. They just got sacked .. an immediate jailbreak type that wpould have left then 4th 1 21 and they called a touch foul inb the secondary to give them an automatic 1st down. Seems like the forces in the NFL are for them, which i DON'T LIKE SEEING...

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    seems like more than just the GB fans want a potential 19-0 season

7. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Goodell is in bed with quite a bit of the ownership of the Packers!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I crack myself up.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How about the no call offensive PI on Driver late in the 4th? He pushed off in a major way and then stepped on the back line before making the catch. Even after the review, they still gave GB the TD. Tough to win when you have to go against that crap. And I'm starting to dislike Joe Buck about as much as I dislike Phil Sims and Collinsworthless. He is on Rodger's jock more than any of those biased douchebags. Joe can go Buck himself.

9. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I do not like the new rule that coaches cannot challenge a call within the last two minutes as if will "automatically be reviewed." I have seen plays this year where I felt a call should be overturned and coaches were told that it is not up to them and that they cannot challenge it. Often, the play resumes almost immediately and I feel that is just not right, especially when the game might be on the line at the end of a game.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    First, let me say, I really like the Packers but they sure seem to be this year's Patriots and Rodgers is definitely the new Brady!

:herewego!:

11. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Um, this is not new. As long as we have had replay it has been booth review only in the last 2 minutes. What is new is the automatic review of ALL scoring plays. But what good does it do if they still don't get it right. But, as has already been stated, Green Bay is obviously this year's favorite son.

Thanks Uncle Roger! :roll: :banghead:

12. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    absolute

13. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for catching that.... Still, coaches should be able to review any play fully that they want if they have the challenges left. No rushing through calls at the end of the game!

14. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No Problem. And BTW, I do agree with you. If you have challenges left you should be able to use them. Maybe there is some reasoning for the 2 minute rule, but I don't see it. :shrug: I do like the automatic review on scoring plays, but, like I said...

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have to add that the officials are totally on the Saints and Brees jock too. The refs called Burleson for offensive PI 3 times in the Saints / Lions game. And he was getting mugged by the CB constantly. Maybe the thugged out Lions deserved it. They are a very undisciplined and hot headed team just like their classless HC. But the calls were blatantly one sided in that game. The PI calls against Burleson were all very questionable.

16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    What killed me about the GB-Giants game was that Coughlin had to waste a challenge when his tight end caught the ball and landed on his knee on the line. Since it was a scoring play, shouldn't it have been reviewed automatically? They got screwed there by the lopsided officiating. Here's hoping that if GB makes it to the super bowl the opposition can beat them and the refs.

17. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My understanding of the Bengals (overturned) and the GB (confirmed) touchdown plays is that they were correctly ruled according to the inane NFL rule interpretation. The difference is that that Bengal receiver was knocked to the ground. When a receiver is knocked to the ground the rule is different than if he remains standing. (this is ridiculous in my view). If the receiver is knocked down he has to remain in control of the ball to the ground. If he has possession prior to falling is not relevant if he loses control when on the ground. (Especially in the end zone this is ridiculous. If you cross the plain with possession, it should be a touchdown, IMO).

The GB receiver was not knocked to the ground so the little bit of control he had in one hand prior to stepping out was sufficient.

The NFL rules have been modified due to the implementation of the replay review, so many cameras, and HD technology. There was only one camera angle to overturn the Bengal TD and it was the perfect angle to show light between the receiver's hand and the ball. Without that ideal camera angle it is a TD. When technology controls what is a TD or not, the game has become absurd. I would like to see the game called on the field. There is just as much controversy with review as without it, maybe more.

And that's the way I C it.

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The inconsistency isn't just on scoring plays either. In that GB game Woodson is all over Nicks(I think) on that beauty of a fade route in the endzone, even going so far as to grab the guys arm and pull it so he can't make the catch. Nicks makes the one handed grab and gets the touchdown but no flag on the play. I would assume because he caught it and it was a touchdown which would have had the penalty declined, however I say flag it anyway to let Woodson know you saw it and he can't get away with it.

Contrast this with the Denver/Minnesota game where back-up QB Joe Webb in at WR makes a brilliant move against Champ Bailey and they flag Webb for the weakest push-off I have ever seen. So Woodson can mug a guy on a scoring play but the veteran Bailey gets a little shove and draws an offensive PI call? It was just weak.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Green Bay's defensive backs hold or make early contact on almost every play it seems. I guess it's a good strategy if the league lets you get away with it.