1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reunite with Bud Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 19, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have other players here on the defensive line blast. leal played in the spot some last year. roche isn't that bad either. probably an upgrade over willis. a rookie should be put in the pipeline. we can't keep drafting and bringing in help with the fear that watt will be hurt. bud's hurt always, what's the point having 2 hurt players? this is roche's 3rd year in the league, usually the year it all comes together. leal in spot duty as a pass rusher is not unheard of here. if we draft that DT early in this draft we will be counting on him for some decent playing time. not sure why you think this is all so far fetched. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One eye on the present, one eye on the future. By all means they should draft players at those positions but they need players this season that can help. I think you expect too much of rookies and Roche is not the answer.

I like Leal but he was ineffective as a pass rusher with 2 pressures all season. We don’t know what they plan to do with him yet, prior to Watt getting injured they bulked him up to 300lbs to play on the line but then Watt got hurt and they had him drop the weight. He was not effective in that roll. If they plan on keeping the weight off and moving him around a lot to take advantage of his versatility and then you ask him to fill in for Watt if needed, you are weaken another area while you try to fill a void he likely wont be effective in anyway.

I don’t care what has happened with Bud in Tennessee, he was a force his last two seasons here. They need him or someone like him that can keep things afloat if Watt misses time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I be for Bud coming back at a reasonable number.

But its got to be reasonable because you want to get Highsmith wrapped up if possible longer term.

But, is Bud going to want to play a reserve roll to Highsmith and TJ would be the bigger question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Supply and demand

If some team offers him starter money off he goes

If all he is offered is back up money then I suspect he would be happy doing it as a Steeler

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Rotating TJ Highsmith and bud would be awesome

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure what kind of demand there would be based off his two seasons in Tennessee.

Rumor out of the combine was he will be a Steeler again if Titans release him. They released him today.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    True on the demand side but heck they got a second for what’s his name

Bud will be 4 years removed from a good season which is not much of a sales pitch

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Brian Batko’s of Post Gazett doesnt think it will happen.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I wouldn't mind personally. However, not just price but realization from Dupree will be key. Alex Highsmith is the new sidekick to Watt and, even if he somehow was not, Dupree is sadly not the same player he once was due to that ACL Injury back in 2020.

Even if Dupree returns, I still would not rule out the possibility of drafting an EDGE. Dupree might not be signed onto very long anyway. Having that Rookie EDGE sit and learn how to play the game behind not one but two vets in Highsmith and Dupree gives that player the best exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm not on the Alvin train. Hopefully they draft one with the 3rd round pick and look for a FA not named Bud.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I stated I wouldn't mind. I never said I would be 100% okay with it. Ideally, someone like Chase Winovich, who is younger and cheaper, would be a more effective option.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was a big Chase fan coming out of college but I don’t think he is the caliber player Bud is. He is also besieged with injuries like Bud has been. He is younger though so thats a plus. He has a lot of great intangibles, similar to Watt but without the production.

Bud would be my plan A and Chase my plan B.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Not as high on the young DL as you are Mac... We've sucked for years against the Run ( I know some of that was / is our lousy ILB's ) but just like Edge " tweeners " imo...We go with way to many, DL " tweeners "...

Loudermilk, weight up and down, Leal the same...Wormley, Adams, Ogunjobi, hell even Cam

Seems like they're all the same 285-305, and not really pass rushers, and not stout for the Run...I do realize in todays NFL , you have to have Guys that can move but, it seems like all our DL are carbon copies of each other ( size wise ) ...

I would like to see a couple old school, big fat ugly DL in the 330 range...just to occupy blockers and plug gaps...So teams don't continually gouge us, and keep the ILB's clean

• Like Like x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I wasn't singling you out Ask if you thought that I apologize.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that's why I want mazi smith. Big, strong and fast. I think he would make the others better. We have other needs to fill before we waste money on bud. Leal is just an option at olb in a pinch for a few plays a game. Just an option along with roche. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bud will want BIG $$ - that is why the CLOWN left in the first place

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Taking the huge contract the Steelers weren't going to offer him does not make him a clown. It shows his intelligence, or at least the intelligence of his agent.

He isn't in that same position. Sure, he was recovering from a torn ACL, but he was also coming off two outstanding seasons with the Steelers. Now he is coming off two unproductive seasons, so his price should be low. If he doesn't realize that, of course he won't be returning to the Steelers. The only way they should consider it is on a one-year prove-it deal paying him backup money. That could be a great opportunity for Dupree to revive his career and provide the depth they need behind Watt and Highsmith.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

It could be, if he is ready to take a hair cut. We would have paid him fairly back then. I doubt this works out. We will see. as one Steeler GM once said "this ain't the salvation army"

Tomlin sucks in rotating, he over promises and under-delivers. Bud will want to start, no interest in a role. The future is TJ and Alex. Bud won't be back.

Back ups will be journeyman FA's and young bucks in the wings.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And he got it

Why does that make him a clown

But this time I don’t see it happening so supply and demand may make him affordable

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is likely, but there is room for a third outside linebacker looking to prove himself again. Those scrub backups played plenty last year even after Watt returned.

You seem set on portraying Dupree as egotistical and greedy, as if he did something wrong by taking a lot more money from the Titans than the Steelers were willing to offer. He did nothing wrong, but the last two years had to be humbling for him. That, and the need to rebuild his value, could help the Steelers get him at a bargain rate. It's far from a sure thing, but worth a shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    many of them want ALL they can get. Bud can get top dollar, he won't be back.

i am not saying he did anything wrong, he chose to leave. We found our next Bud. He won't want to rotate. a team will pay him top starter dollar. we should not. I liked him, BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why do you think Dupree can get top dollar after 2021 and '22 seasons that were unproductive?

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bud may or may not be back but he isn’t getting top dollar either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So why did you call him a clown :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1