1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

REPORTED:failed attempt for a 5th

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler_george, Apr 30, 2020.

1. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    On Dulac's Q&A Chat on the gazette site, he says that the steelers' failed to trade into the 5th...

I wonder why it hasn't been reported by others...

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Probably because it's not really newsworthy. I'm sure there are failed trade attempts all the time during the draft. Most of them don't get out to the public.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not exactly big news.

They also didn’t trade into the first. Or trade anything.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Unless you want to combine that with them giving their fifth-round choice away in a stupid trade for Vannett, there isn't much to the story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Fair enough, I know there are failed trades all the time, but sort of interesting what could of been...

Imagine if we would of traded for Fromm QB, or Robinson.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fromm is who I would have wanted in the fifth round. That is why the Vannett trade has me annoyed all over again.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They were working the phones at one point, taking a long time to put the pick in, probably this. They normally turn their pick in right away so I wondered at the time if thats what they were doing.

Wonder who they had their sights on.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Please remember that was not the Steelers 5th round pick; it was the pick they received in the Dobbs trade.

In other words the Steelers basically traded Dobbs for Vannett.

That is the way I looked at the trade for Vanett; and I was happy with the trade when I looked at it that way. Both Dobbs and Vannett were looking at free agency at the end of the year.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, they did not trade Dobbs for Vannett. The Dobbs trade happened first. They had the pick in their possession. That pick was more valuable than Vannett, yet they gave it up in an idiotic trade.

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's saying it's basically a wash.

We traded a QB we spent 3 years developing the year we needed him the most for 13 catches and 128 yards :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the whole Vannett fiasco was to help Rudolph get his feet wet. Scibe is right though, didn't need to use a draft pick to do it.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Oh it was. Just like how they traded Dobbs away so he had no pressure. That's why I add the wasted Vannet draft pick to Rudolph. So we've wasted a 3rd, 5th, and season with an elite defense. Oh yeah and he might be a racist.

Who would have thought having an extra 3rd because of Bryant trade would have done us in? Horrible drafting and asset management.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Lighten up Francis, your foaming at the mouth. Dobbs might be in the space program next year & we got a draft pick for him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2