1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Report Steelers will use transition tag on Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcityclash, Oct 2, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Not sure how I feel about this. Apparently this was told to him during negotiations a while back.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...ag-on-him-in-2019-holdout-week-7-bye-nfl-news

On one side, I can see how this could piss off Bell...how does this effect free agency for him...is the tag placed before, during, or after FA begins. Is the only difference that we get a chance to match the best offer or get nothing?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The transition tag gives them the right to match any offer he gets. Honestly I think he is hoping for it because it will drive up the price. He can tell potential suitors you better go big or the Steelers will counter it. Teams will have to do what Minnesota did for Cousins so then he gets paid

3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Seriously who effing cares if bell gets pissed

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol nobody offered bell anything.

“I want to play for Steelers!”
    *gulp*

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Well if this told to him during negotiations, I could see that being the “circumstance” that his agent talked about and ultimately changed his motivation to come sign at the beginning of the season...or perhaps it was about his workload as his agent said.

I don’t really care that he got pissed, just trying to piece things together.

Honestly if I was Bell I don’t know if this would have any bearing on my decision to hold out... as stated above Thorn058 seems to think Bell would want this...

6. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I honestly hope it pisses him off. If I'm the Steelers I wanna make his remaining time here as miserable as possible

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    Another thing to think about, after being told by the Steelers,if Bell would have signed at the start of the season, the transition tag would be 120% of 14.5 mill and we’d have that money tied up during FA until he a signed a contract.
    If we were to ever have a chance at a big time FA, instead of going after scrubs, our shot would probably be better at the start of the FA period...

Wondering if this was a bluff or if it was the Steelers intent, it seems like that would be a terrible decision for all kinds of reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is this whole Bell mess gonna scare off potential future free agents looking to come here?
    Will they trust Ownership?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    To the Steelers front office: PAY THE MAN. Give him $60 million for 4 years with $20-$25 million guaranteed. Put clauses in the contract so you can get out if he starts massively declining. To me Bell is the most important player on our team. Even more so than Ben. Just hand him the ball 30-40 times a game and let Ben throw it 20-25 times. Eat up the clock and keep the defense off the field.

On another note they need to get rid of Butler. I don’t know how this man still has a job. He must have pictures or something on someone. How he keeps his job for this long with a defense that’s just keeps getting worse every year. I mean atrocious.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    There's no way the Steelers are going to tag him again. Why would the front office prolong the Bell soap opera? If they were considering the transition tag that consideration ended when he failed to sign and report prior to week 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is ridiculous. I mean the part about Bell, not Butler. They offered to pay him plenty. He refused. He has lied to teammates. He has avoided their calls. He has been openly selfish. How often do you actually hear a player say he doesn't want to play because he's going to get the ball too much?

The last thing the Steelers should do now is offer him a better deal than the one he refused.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. And further, I don't think that 20-25 mil guaranteed gets it done for Bell. I'm thinking he's looking for at least 40+ mil guaranteed. And with his suspension history, he's just not worth the risk.
    What the team should have done was give him the non-exclusive tag this year and let him shop around to see what his true worth was. I think he would be quite surprised to see what teams actually thought he was worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They could offer him a contract with the guaranteed money he wants and just put a moral clause in the contract.

14. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If/when he comes back he’ll still be the highest paid RB !
    He’s acting a fool and thinks he’s the second coming of Christ !
    I think he’s only hurting his own image not the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No...He was offered the highest contract ever...at the time, For a RB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    from the article

"While Fowler asserts this figure should be more than $17 million, it could actually be closer to $11.2 million if Bell reported by Week 7 — the cost of the transition tag being based on 120% of the running back’s salary this year. Missing six weeks of the season would actually hurt Bell when the transition tag is calculated, as per the rules of the CBA, and barring arbitration to reassert the maximum value Fowler states, the cost could be much lower than some expect."

A bit unsure about how the transition tag works myself. A couple things I'm trying to figure out.

1) Is the 11.2 million a base salary for a one year deal?

2) Can other teams offer long-term contracts (it appears they have in the past albeit the elimination of the "poison pill" concept. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag)?

So basically the 11.2 million figure is a moot point considering Bell will be offered more than that by other teams (either for one or multiple years if possible)

So essentially, the Steelers can opt to keep him around one more year or match a long-term offer keeping him in the Burgh. If they do not match what another team offers, they receive no compensation (not sure about a compensatory pick the following year however.)

18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still wish, after last year's drama, they would have used the transition tag for this season when they couldn't come to a quick agreement (say by the start of June so they had ample time before the deadline for both sides to weight options/negotiate). I think it was idiotic of the front office to expect that this year was going to unfold any differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I believe that's correct. The Steelers' hope would be that no other team ponies up the overall money or, more importantly, the guaranteed money Bell seeks.

20. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Well then things are going to keep going the same way then. I know Bell hasn’t been the model teammate, but MANY guys have acted similar when trying to get their money. This is nothing new. Bell wants guaranteed money so to me give him a contract with more guaranteed money. I think he’s earned it. Just structure it in their favor. There are ways to get this done.

How many running backs touch the ball 450+ times a year? None that I know of, maybe Gurley and he’s getting paid. Plus Bell is a great receiver. I think they should pay him, but others don’t. I just want the Steelers to win and have a chance at another SB before our window closes.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Also it’s really hard to watch us lose to the dang Ravens. As every Steelers fan does, I hate that team more than any other team, except maybe the Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers offered him a very fair contract. He turned it down. Time to move on from Le'von Bell.We could have had Dion Lewis for 5 million not the 17 million Bell wanted, That 12 million can pay alot of players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don’t know how you can give a player guaranteed money, yet insert clauses that let you get out of paying it.

I could see a clause requiring Bell to (proratedly) return guaranteed money for specific personal conduct (like drug use). But that’s it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Time to move on. No tagging. No last ditch offers to try and outbid anyone else. Spend the money on proven NFL DB and/or edge rush talent since we seem to have no clue how to draft NFL caliber players who defend the pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Partially agree with this. He is indeed hurting his image but likley moreso in eyes of fans then the league. I say this because character issues seems to be secondary to some team organizations to wins.