1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Steelers shoot down trade offers for Antonio Brown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Feb 8, 2017.

1. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course. No brainer. Thank God Rooney runs this team and not fans.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Per sources, the offer was from PWP.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    AB is essentially untradable.

Nobody will give you much for a guy with only one yr left on his contract, whos expecting a big new one, and whose best yrs may be behind him. You not going to get a 1st rounder + 3rd for somebody like that.

On the other hand.. If the Steelers, who many here think are Super Bowl LII contenders, trade a key piece of that team for say a high 2nd round big, this board would light up like July 4.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Keep the 3 B's together and work on supporting cast and defense

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    AB's an idiot with social media and gets too excited and shows out when he scores a TD. He doesn't smoke weed, get drunk and act like an idiot at a southside bar or high school football game, beat his girlfriend, go to Miami Beach and party the week of a playoff game and seems to take really good care of his children. I think he's shown true remorse for the FB live incident and truly wants to redeem himself. He made one of the single greatest effort plays to get us into the playoffs and is a phenomenal player. He is on his way to the HOF!

And some people want to trade him??? :roflmao:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Agreed, you don't trade phenomenal talent unless you are treating it down and rebuilding which we are not. The Facebook live was dumb but we lose tat game anyway, we failed to show up so it wouldn't matter how fired up Tomlin's made the Pats, you don't win if your team fails to perform. I can't name one time that Brown's celebration antics cost us a game. He doesn't do near enough to say he needs to go despite his talent.

They need to build up the supporting cast. Bryant's suspension hurt us especially in the end. Hard to focus on Brown so much when you have a dangerous #2 which Bryant is that can create plays and mismatches. The outlaw played well but he was not the player we wanted in there as Green's abilities would have took this offense to another level. We have to see if Green is fine and get an athletic TE in the draft as it is such a big part of our play book and Ben relies on good TE play. Defense was a pleasant surprise especially their late season play, but the coverage is a major liability especially if you can't sack the QB, so they need to either beef up the pass rush or splurge on some better corners.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Good. There's no way I would have believed that the Steelers would have even entertained the idea of offloading AB, even though some fans have jumped at the idea, but it's good to see it confirmed.

9. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I still would love to know the offers for him

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's easy for them to say they wouldn't trade AB, but if a team shoots them a trade too good to turn down, what they say now could change pretty fast, what for example would they say if a team wants him bad enough to trade two one picks for him, I'm just saying, never say never.....

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Why was this a point of discussion and never mind point of emphasis weeks ago I personally have not the foggiest.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Love to know what the offers were. No one is untradeable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Trading AB in almost any scenario wouldn't make sense, but this doesn't make sense on another level, or it's incomplete. There's 32 positions in the draft, big difference between overall #1 pick and 32nd pick.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

If a team is willing to trade their 1 pick in the top 15 this year, and their next year 1 pick for AB are you telling me you wouldn't trade him?? I would trade him this off season for two one picks in a heart beat.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    just to be clear. Broncos GM knocks on your door and says, straight up trade, Von MIller for AB. your closing the door?
    no one is untradable for the right price.

i dont want them to trade AB either, but if the right offer was made than you have to atleast entertain it. FO owes that to the team and the fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Top 15 pick clears things up a little. AB is gone, so that 1st pick is going to have to be a receiver to replace him. A top tier, best in the league over the last 4 seasons type receiver. I assume AB is going to put whatever team he goes to over the top, since that team will be missing only one key piece to make that trade in the first place. So the 2nd year pick is going to come from the bottom of the 1st round.
    So, AB for a mid-first rounder and a late first rounder the next year is not worth it, IMO.

17. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm never in favor of trading a top notch commodity for stay picks. Draft picks are unknowns, you could easily trade a top 3 wr for a bust in that scenario. If we were in rebuild and knew ab would be leaving after this year of course, but that isn't the case. Steelers are one of the best drafting teams and hit well on their 1st rounders but the odds of getting someone matching brown's caliber is pretty slim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Making up unrealistic trade scenarios doesn't make him tradable.

In the real world, you're not getting a good enough return for him to be worth it.

19. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    agreed. very seldom do you ever see a trade with 2 equal stars going in the deal that helps both teams. just doesnt happen much.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why trade one of the best (arguably the best) player at his position and a receiver who is catching passes at unprecedented levels. I know Miller is a great player, but a great edge rusher is easier to replace than a great receiver.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the last crazy deal was the Hershel Walker trade. Nutso :eek:

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And statistically, this would be a bad trade.

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    So let me get this straight..you would trade the best (argumentative I know) receiver in the game for a top 15 pick, knowing your pick needs to be a top tier receiver to replace the top tier receiver you just let go? I'm sure there is some logic there, let me get the magnifying glass!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For the sake of conversation, a trade of this type would be contingent on the other team being able to sign AB to an extension, and a time limit to get this deal done.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    True, but having to sign AB to a big deal also decreases his trade value. The Steelers would get a lot more in return if AB still had 2-3 yrs left on a team friendly deal. If you had to sign him with FA type money AND give up high draft pick(s), you might decide the price was too high.

I guess I look at it this way. Suppose the Steelers didn't have AB (say he played for Chicago), Ben has 2-3 yrs left, and you think adding a top WR might put your offense at the top of league and you could win an SB. I suspect if the STeelers had to give up a 1st rounder this year and a 2nd next yr, a lot of fans here would think that was too much. But when contemplating trading the guy now, they want at least that much from the other team. Which is why he's basically untradable

• Agree Agree x 1